Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech s 530 for the Mac

Logitech s 530 for the Mac
cspuryear
Mar 24, 2006, 01:26 PM

Just got it last night from ZipZoomFly.com..........will set it up this weekend and write a review
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

cuidado
Apr 7, 2006, 05:03 PM

how was it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 05:25 PM

What was the point of this thread?!?

tooki

cspuryear  (op)
Apr 7, 2006, 05:29 PM

Wow!!! So I was delinquent enough to forget my own post

I might try to post some pics this weekend, but here goes:

Appearance:
Great White/Silver accented desktop set that matches my 20" iMac perfectly.

Keyboard:

The keyboard is great! It's a lot "flatter" than any keyboard I've used before, but it's still nice! The buttons are laid out great, and it's easy to get used to right away. My only gripe here is two things:

1) The keys feel somewhat "cheap", but I'm sure that's not the case. They are probably made out of a lightweight material that makes them feel that way, but after 2 weeks I haven't had any problems (or signs thereof) yet.

2) The "e-mail" button on the keyboard is only programmable for a web address which seems a little weird to me. (If someone knows a fix for this, please let me know). So you can't program it to launch Entourage/Mail/etc.......

Mouse:
The mouse is great! It might as well be noted that it is a right-handed mouse, so sorry "south paws". The button layout is pretty good and the response is pretty accurate. As noted in previous reviews, it's extremely sensitive right out of the box, but just takes a few minutes to setup to your liking.

Overall I think this is a great set for the Mac. It would be cool for them to come out with different colors so that a silver/black set would match the "Pro" line of machines, but that's only minor. It's a great "first" attempt at a mac-product by Logitech, and would recommend it to everyone.

cspuryear  (op)
Apr 29, 2006, 11:37 AM

***UPDATE***

I don't know if it's the new Logitech Control Center update, or if I was just not paying attention before, but the email button IS configurable to launch an application.........

After a few weeks of using this keyboard set, I love it....plain and simple

Hal06
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2006, 12:35 PM

Thanks for your input, I was playing today with the PC counterpart and found it nice.

There is a button labeled 'Shuffle' at right margin (PC version), does the Mac version have it and if so what it does?.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 12:23 PM

Is it possible to use another mouse with it? I'd buy a wireless keyboard/mouse set, but I'm left-handed.

cspuryear  (op)
May 2, 2006, 04:56 PM

Haven't tried that one simply because I've had no need to....however, I would think you'd be able to. email Logitech support and see what they say

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 05:00 PM

OK. Thanks.

smaug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 11:41 AM

I just bought the s 530 for my Macbook pro and am using version 2.0 of the Logitech Control Center. It works great UNLESS I unplug the dongle and plug it back in (which I do every day to take the Macbook home). When I unplug the dongle, I have to reboot for the keyboard or mouse to work properly. With the Logitech COntrol Center uninstalled, I can replug the dongle with no problem. Is this happening to anybody else?

cuidado
May 15, 2006, 06:40 PM

just bought this, cant wait for it!

gnomexp
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 10:15 PM

I owned one for 2 hours after going to a local CompUSA.

I found the keys, though they were quite capable of high speed typing, to be relatively cheap. My definition for that term is when one can touch a key without pressing it down and still hear an audible click. You can't do that on any other quality keyboard I know, whether it's Apple's default, a PowerBook keyboard, a default Sony Windows keyboard, etc. The buttons are a pain to use, because you have to lift your hand to access them. The buttons aren't easy to press down, like a keyboard key is. They aren't time savers, because you can type a keyboard shortcut quicker than actually pressing the button (and waiting for it to register with LCC 2.0). You can completely eliminate their need by using Quicksilver/LaunchBar/Butler etc.

The mouse is extremely sensitive and has no visible light, a big plus over the MX1000, unless you like knowing it works. However, the mouse again suffers from that "cheap" feel, where I rest my fingers and hear "CLICK." Fortunately, LCC 2.0 allows you to alter the sensitivity of side-scrolling, something I desperately needed when I had an MX1000 (before the feature was added). However, it is very challenging to middle-click with the wheel, as it rocks far too easily from side to side. Don't expect much tab opening with that middle button. The most spectacular feature on the mouse are the forward/back buttons. I programmed them to CMD+SHIFT+ARROW for tab switching in Safari; worked like a charm. It was swift, responsive, and the keys were solid (the only keys not "cheap").

The most impressive thing about the keyboard was that it took two AAA batteries, instead of the four AA batteries I expected. It also responded well with the included Duracell batteries. Though not confirmed (I again only owned this keyboard for two hours), I'm sure it has good battery life.

The least impressive thing about the keyboard is how cheap it feels. It's lighter than anything I've felt before. I have research papers heavier than the keyboard with batteries. It clicks without typing. The add on buttons were too hard to press, too small, and too recessed.

The cheapness of the keyboard made me take it back after an hour of use, and an hour of total drive time to and from CompUSA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules