Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Do I really need 9.1?

Do I really need 9.1?
LauraJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2001, 07:54 PM

Hi, I have 9.0 operating system and have no problem with it. I want to install iTunes but it said I should 9.1. I'm a bit afraid to dowload the 9.1 because of the many problems everyone seems to have on this thread.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2001, 08:06 PM

How important is iTunes to you compared to getting
your assignments and other serious stuff done?

If you're having trouble-free operating now - why mess with success?

Easy for me to talk - I don't want iTunes.

WDL

Cipher13
Feb 17, 2001, 08:35 PM

iTunes is nothing special... I got rid of it.
Don't do it. Its more trouble than its worth generally. 9.04 rocks, stick with it.

Cipher13

Mosi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2001, 08:48 PM

Don't forget that there are many people that do not have any problems and therefor don't write any posts. I'm very happy with 9.1, my G4 AGP runs better than ever.
If your depend on your mac running, I would be careful.
You could install OS9.1 on a second drive or partition, so you can switch back to your runnig system.
If it is your home PC and you want iTunes (or OSX), you sooner or later want to update.

regards Mosi

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2001, 11:32 PM

Or you could just buy OS X and get 9.1 for free...

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2001, 12:31 AM

itoons worked fine for me on os9.0.4. i just upgraded to 9.1, and while i have had some problems, its not terrable... but i like the better memory management.

bottom line, i like itoons, i never used it for anything but playback, but it worked fine for me on os 9.0.4.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

Rude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2001, 01:27 AM

lauraj,
you make no mention as to what sytem you are running or if your intentions would be to someday run OSX, like Mosi said, if you intend to run OSX, buy it and get 9.1 to boot, if you don't plan on making the move to OSX, stay away from 9.1 until all the quirks are worked out...
i figure that i have at least 5 more weeks of using 9.0.4 before i will decide, and probably a lot longer because of availability down here!
best of luck, patience is a virtue!
rude

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2001, 02:25 PM

First off you don't need 9.1 to run iTunes. Apple simply "recommends" 9.1 if you are going to use iTunes.

Second, I have had zero problems with 9.1 and absolutely love it. New features, faster Finder and more Altivec code...its free, make a second system folder and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it go back.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2001, 03:37 PM

I'm running iTunes with 9.0.4 without any problems. Can't use the CD-R functions, tho, because I don't have an Apple branded CD-R. As a player, it's pretty good - I use it mostly for the SHOUTCAST and Quicktime streaming features (can playlist, where the QT player can't). For most MP3's, I use SoundApp because it's a smaller program and easier to deal with.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2001, 12:26 AM

I had read in a previous post that you had to have 9.1 to run the final version of OS X. Not positive, but think so.
As for iTunes, I use it on 9.0.4 now without problems. I'm not really heavy into the MP3 thing, since I don't have a CD burner. I posted a thread for people to submit the good and bad with 9.1, and it got "locked" by administration due to a similar thread (that I hadn't seen) having been posted earlier. So, I have little idea as to what the concensus is on the "pro/con" arena for 9.1...

Phaedrus
Feb 19, 2001, 04:43 AM

I haven't had any problems with 9.1 either. Lots of people post about problems here, so one can get a false sense of 9.1 being prone to problems. As long as you keep a copy of your old system folder, it should be any trouble to try out 9.1. It's faster and more stable, so I'd say it's worth trying out.

g4-guy
Feb 19, 2001, 01:57 PM

Hey,

I'm going to go against the sentiment in this thread and tell you to try 9.1, as long as you have a way to go back to 9.0.4. You never know what 9.1 might fix. I know I had a long-standing issue with Civ II Gold and 9.0.4. The BG music wouldn't work. When I got 9.1, the issue magically disappeared. Try 9.1, if you can afford to.

------------------
Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

suprz
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2001, 04:01 PM

i'm using itunes with 9.0.4, and it works fine, ( i dont know how it will work with burning cd's on 9.0.4, not until apple gets off it's butt and loads some drivers on it's web site)but if it works, why fix it? 9.0.4 is just fine with me........stable as a rock

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2001, 05:38 PM

I am still using 9.0.4 because it rocks. In January my G4 didn't crash for 29 days under heavy use. As for iTunes, I haven't had the need to try it because Audion traditionally has better sound output than S.J.(itunes)
Later
Chuck

Gregg
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2001, 12:17 PM

I'd vote for getting OSX and the free copy of 9.1 also. If you're a college student, or have a family member who is a professor or K-12 teacher, you can get OSX from Apple for $69 instead of the $129 retail price. Go to Apple's web site, under Education...
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

petek
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2001, 02:24 PM

One more vote of support for 9.1. I've found it to be much more stable than 9.0.4 or 8.6. Its memory management is clearly better and even when an app has crashed, it doesn't take down the system. Before 9.1 I never was even able to follow the dialog advise about "saving work and restarting" following a Netscape crash - the Finder was always out to lunch, too. Now I usually live dangerously and just reopen Netscape and go on my merry way.

That said, if you're happy with your current OS, why spend the money for 9.1? Also, I did have to up the memory allocation for a couple of OS 9.1 control panels to get them to work - Extension Manager for example would not open with the default memory allocation, even with Virtual Memory on. This seems to be a common complaint and I imagine it will get fixed in OS 9.1.3 or whatever the next release is.

Costique
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 08:34 AM

LauraJ, do you have OS 9.0 or 9.0.4, to be precise? As a matter of fact, the former has some bugs and is not so stable as 9.0.4 update. What for 9.1, I have installed it on G3 and... nothing happened. There are only cosmetical visible changes in this major-under-the-hood update. I didn't notice any improvements. I didn't encounter any problems either. So I suggest you should be practical - when some app says it needs 9.1, install it. If you are comfortable with OS 9, you'll have no problems updating. Don't listen to people who can't do a thing. Don't be afraid - I myself have been installing every MacOS update since System 7 on many, very many Macs and clones without having any trouble except turning off unnecessary extensions from time to time.

Still, MacOS 9.0 should be updated to 9.0.4 or 9.1 as soon as possible.

------------------
Make no assumptions
Make no assumptions

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2001, 09:47 AM

Another 9.1 User here and I LOVE IT, better memory management. Also much faster and more stable than 9.0.4 Also now with itunes 1.1 I can burn to my QUE USB wohooo. I think that you can only use 1.1 with 9.1 anyway the other reason to get 9.1 is the move to OSX. I would wait and get OS X which come with it anyway.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules