Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac Firmware Update before OS 9 Install

iMac Firmware Update before OS 9 Install
mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 1999, 07:05 AM

somebody help! I wanted to install OS 9 on my rev b. iMac, but was told that I needed to update my firmware (which was on the OS 9 cd). I tried to update, but in the middle of the firmware update, I accidentally hit the power button and the machine shut off in mid-update. Now I cannot start up my computer. does anyone know if there is a workaround to this? I've tried booting up from the cd to no avail. I am stuck right now. The computer starts up but the screen remains blank and the power button remains orange instead of green. Is this problem fixable? Thanks for any and all help.

Ster
Oct 28, 1999, 11:25 AM

hi,
i noticed the same problems on one of the imacs in a computer lab here on campous. it's a rev a or b, and the chime goes off, screen stays black, and light stays orange. have to use the paperclip to reboot, same thing again. i'm not sure if something like your failed firmware update was the cause, but rest assured, you're not suffering alone.
sorry,
ster

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 1999, 12:16 PM

mac,

I think its time to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Center.

Firmware updates are always scary because its software embedded in a writable, permanent memory chip. You need good firmware to boot. If the firmware update is interrupted, your firmware is likely corrupted and you won't be able to reboot.

Frank

Waldo
Oct 28, 1999, 07:53 PM

I had a lot of trouble with my firmware update too. But I still got it to work. Before you send it to the shop, try updating the firmware again. Make sure the iMac is off. Hold the paper clip in really nicely and start the computer, you should still get a nice tone that tells you to pull out the paper clip and wait. then a progress bar should show up while the update is happening.
Good Luck,
Willie Rolo

mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 1999, 12:47 PM

hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I've not gotten it to work and there was a computer expo here yesterday where I asked a local apple dealer. They told me the same thing, to try to boot up with a paper clip in the programmer button. I still have not gotten it to work, so I'll have to try bringing it in. Thanks for the replies.

sad mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules