Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Partition volume order

Partition volume order
sweet1
Jun 10, 2002, 01:43 AM

I just finished a forum search on this subject but was not able to get a complete answer even after researching the info on the Sciencequest site. So here goes...I set up my 80GB Seagate ATA drive that I just installed on my G3 Yosemite. After using Drive Setup to partition into 4 volumes, I notice that the volumes are mounted on my desktop in the order of their size, not in the order they were listed, from top to bottom, in the Drive Setup utility. How do I get them back into the order in which I intended them to be. I'm really tired, I hope this post makes sense.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2002, 02:42 AM

check this out

<a href="http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/13/wa/query?searchMode=Expert&type=id&val=KC.30871" target="_blank">http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/13/wa/quer y?searchMode=Expert&type=id&val=KC.30871</a>

I believe that will give you what you're looking for...

sweet1  (op)
Jun 10, 2002, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the link...yikes, I know nothing about Apple Script. You were right though this will get me what I seek. I used Help menu on Applescript which made my head swim. A couple questions:
The two scripts available , each with a link where it is available, but the link states "No such file or directory". Both scripts are written out line for line prior to the link. When it says, "paste the following Applescript into a Script Editor window", does it mean that you are literally supposed to cut and paste the line by line instruction, or is there something neccessary from the link that I can't access?

The second script lets you change disk order if neccessary. I might choose that one but what do they mean when they instruct:

"Replace the third line of the script (with the comment about first time, initialize) with the following:"

Does this mean that you start replacing the first script by copying OVER the following instruction? (I'm confused what constitutes the third line they refer to)

if DiskNames is {} then -- first time, initialize

with the second script :

--Interactive AppleScript

set DialogMsg to

"Save current disk locations or restore locations from previously saved?" set DialogButtons to {"Cancel", "Save", "Restore"}

display dialog DialogMsg with icon note buttons DialogButtons default button 3 set ButtonClicked to button returned of the result

-- Cancel never even gets here

Also, am I supposed to refer to the volume names, within those brackets {} where it says "property DiskNames {} , property DiskLocations {}?

I use the original 6 GB drive to boot, but want to divide the 80GB Seagate into four volumes with bootable 9.2 on one and 10.1 on another and use one apps and another (largest) for backup which I want to be the last in order.

I'm sorry if my questions sound confusing, you may need to go back to the link you gave me for it to make sense. You might explain it like I was a 6 year old. Thanks for your patience reading this.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2002, 06:24 PM

I forgot to ask, are you using OS 9 or OS X? I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but before I start playing around with this script, I figured it would make sense to use the same OS that you are!

I used to use this script (or something similar) way back in the 8.5 days. (You'll notice that the title of the Knowledge Base article is "Mac OS 8.5: Disk Positioning on Desktop after Startup".)

sweet1  (op)
Jun 10, 2002, 10:07 PM

It's 9.2.2. Yeah, I saw it was for 8.5 and above, but didn't find a later update either. I'm not doing anything critical right now, but I sure don't want my back up disk to be the top priority. I'm still reading up on it, if you remember how it went let me know.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2002, 12:41 AM

OK, first - since you're having trouble downloading the scripts from the link provided on the web page, locate "Script Editor". It should be at "Applications (Mac OS 9):Apple Extras:AppleScript" unless you've moved or deleted it.

Then Copy the script from the "-- Begin AppleScript" comment to the "-- End AppleScript" comment. Be sure not to copy anything that is NOT between those comments!

Then launch Script Editor, and paste that text into the bottom pane of the Script Editor window. Press the "Check Syntax" button. If everything is OK, it will "prettify" the script code by indenting it, and making reserved words bold and comments italic.

Save the AppleScript as an application (OS 9 will probably list "Classic Applet" instead of "Application" under the "Format" pop-up menu). Select the "Never Show Startup Screen" option. Don't forget to give it a name that will help you remember what it is!

Then arrange the disks on your desktop as you want them to reappear after startup. Run this AppleScript application once to capture the current disk positions.

Place this AppleScript application in your Startup Items folder in your System Folder, and when it runs on each startup, it moves disks to the saved locations.

Note: Leave the curly braces {} empty.

The second script will put up a dialog box everytime you boot, asking you for input on your icon locations. Would that work better for you? I have a hunch that based on what you've said, that the first script will probably work better for you. If you need the 2nd script, let me know, and I'll send instructions for it.

sweet1  (op)
Jun 11, 2002, 05:52 PM

Thanks Sword of Orion. The script executed perfected...all volumes lined up like ducks in a row. One small glitch was that I forgot to run the script on both bootable drives, but now they both work. Does this mean that they will be accessed in this order, top fastest, bottom slowest?

Your instructions by the way were impeccable. Thanks for taking time to help me out.

Sword of Orion
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2002, 08:09 PM

The order the icons appear on the screen is purely for your convenience. The OS will make the decisions about which order to access (do you mean mount?) the partitions based on rules that only a computer scientist could love.

Glad to be of service!

Forum Links
Forum Rules