Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > USB disk via new AP Extreme - hard drive not mounting

USB disk via new AP Extreme - hard drive not mounting
rtbarry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 08:33 PM

is there a physical size limit, or drive format limitation that would prevent the disk from showing up? airport utility doesn't see it. airport disk utility doesn't see it. everything else working fine.

LaCie 2TB - Bigger Disk Extreme
airport extreme (n)
seeking via enabled MBP 2.33
Mac OS Extended (journaled)
connected via USB2
mounts fine directly to computer

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2007, 10:32 PM

Do you have it plugged into your computer at the same time?

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 10:34 PM

newp. of course not. but i've swapped it back and forth to see if there is anything wrong with the drive itself. it is fine under all other circumstances. just won't mount from the USB connection on the new basestation. same cable, etc.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 10:54 PM

Does any other drive mount to the port. Do you have another USB2 hard drive or even a flash drive you can try. (I must admit I have not empirically tested a flash drive, yet, so I am asuming it should mount like a hard drive). Also, have you fully gone through the ariport admin utility and made sure to set the disk for share and set it to mount with out any security rigmarole?

Frankly I would be less worried about the size and more about the raid 0 controller in the Big disk being incompatible with the AP. Although, I have no reason to think that base don my limited experience. I just got mine today and my old 500GB big disk extreme works fine.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 11:20 PM

tinkered...
good question. i only have another firewire drive, so can't test with that. wanna keep flash out of the equation as i don't wanna add another variable.

hopefully be an update soon. sounds like there are plenty of issues.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2007, 08:44 AM

Does the networked drive mount if you wire your computer to the new AirPort Express Base Station? I'm interested in isolating whether it's a "router" problem or a "wireless" problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rtbarry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 01:53 PM

YES!

actually, in my case, it was the name. i removed square brackets from the name, and up she came.

so the new basestation is working flawlessly now.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by rtbarry View Post
actually, in my case, it was the name. i removed square brackets from the name, and up she came.
Can you be a bit more explicit? Where were the square brackets that you removed?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chromos
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by rtbarry View Post
YES!

so the new basestation is working flawlessly now.
rtbarry,

what kind of transfer rates are you getting? the max that I can establish between a MBP C2D and a Western Digital My Book Pro (500 GB) is about 2 MB/s, when the MBP is sitting right next to the base station! this seems too slow to me...

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 04:21 PM

I get over 2MB/s transfering on a .g network. The USB interface should let through about 35MB/s, and the .n wireless about 8MB/s!

Forum Links
Forum Rules