Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage / iPhone sync problem

Entourage / iPhone sync problem
joakley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 02:42 AM

Helping a friend switch from a Blackberry to an iPhone. Uses Entourage (11.3.5 and now 11.3.6) for email. Wants to sync address & calendar to iPhone, but no data is ending up on the iPhone.

The problem lies in Entourage failing to deliver data to Sync Services, or Sync Services failing to retrieve data from Entourage.

When I turn off Sync Services in Entourage prefs, and then re-check these check boxes, it does ask to Replace/Merge etc. I choose 'Replace Sync Services with Entourage' and what I notice in Activity Monitor is that the process 'Microsoft Sync S' takes off at 98/99%. After a few minutes, when I see it drop off the top, I check Address Book, but no addresses have appeared.

Research has suggested Resetting Sync Services, but when I go into iSync prefs, 'Reset Sync Services' is greyed out. Research also suggests a lot of fixes for getting Spotlight to pick up Entourage data, but that capability is working fine.

In the System Log, I'm seeing some messages that probably mean something to someone (what seem to be the key lines, included below. Dots mean there's stuff in between), but I'm not able to determine what to do next.

One other bit of information, when he had the Blackberry, even with a lot of help from PocketMac, we were never able to get it to sync cleanly. Would almost always end up with duplicate address book entries. PocketMac is now uninstalled.

From System.log

2007-07-23 18:53:08.949 Microsoft Sync Services[1329] An uncaught exception was raised
2007-07-23 18:53:08.950 Microsoft Sync Services[1329] you referenced the following records (in a relationship) but did not actually push them: ("35.Event")
2007-07-23 23:41:19.419 SyndicationAgent[1380] WARNING: BestCalendarDateFromString - can't interpret: 'Mon 23 Jul 2007 20:47:52 -800'
2007-07-23 23:44:02.507 SyncServer[1384] A Sync Server is already running on this computer, exiting process.
2007-07-24 09:12:56.162 Microsoft Sync Services[1428] *** Uncaught exception: <ISyncInvalidRecordException> you referenced the following records (in a relationship) but did not actually push them: ("35.Event")
Created child with pid 1449...
Starting child at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleMobileDeviceHelper, setting input fd to 26, output fd to 30 and closing all other pipes
Created args array of size 5
Child /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleMobileDeviceHelper starting up, argc is 4...
arg[0] = /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleMobileDeviceHelper
arg[1] = --pipe
arg[2] = 26
arg[3] = 30
Launching crash report copy from "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/Resources/MDCrashReportTool" for target eaf7d85897ff01486044b0ff727847607a07aa75
Created child with pid 1450...
Starting child at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Resources/AppleMobileDeviceHelper.app/Contents/Resources/MDCrashReportTool, setting input fd to 26, output fd to 32 and closing all other pipes
Created args array of size 5
2007-07-24 09:14:16.958 MDCrashReportTool[1450] MDCrashReportTool starting up...

Forum Links
Forum Rules