Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Store is down...

Store is down...
Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 12:47 PM

The apple store is down, they must be updating following the apple conference thing!

Looking forward to some new shizzz, hopefully new iMac etccc

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 12:48 PM

ZOMGGG TEH APPEL STOER IS DONW!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 12:51 PM

Lol shhhh, I was only saying

Im in the UK btw, so if it hasn't gone down on the U.S, sorry for wasting your time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 12:53 PM

*yawn*

-t

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 12:56 PM

Where's the site iwth the live updates?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 12:58 PM

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 01:03 PM

Graci, Turtle!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 01:08 PM

Somebody should write a book about Mac users and their insatiable appetite for consuming new Apple products. Why is it that some feel compelled to line up for the iPhone, or some feel compelled to monitor news sites so diligently waiting for the up-to-the-second news when the same news can be had if you were to wait for a few hours?

I've been a part of this crowd too, so I don't exclude myself, but it still is strange when you stop to think about it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aeternus View Post
Graci, Turtle!
Doesn't work for me. Servers are hampstornated

-t

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 01:10 PM

it's just kinda fun, especially when you've been looking forward to a new product. I want an iMac with a video input, of some kind, so I can hook up my PS2 or something. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 01:12 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 01:12 PM

Btw, this live coverage seems to work better:

Live Coverage of Apple Special Event || The Mac Observer

-t

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 01:13 PM

Sot it's the same form factor, just slightly modded? That's pretty weak. :|

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 01:17 PM

Looks like less chin to me

-t

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2007, 01:21 PM

Don't create any further threads regarding this event please. Between this thread and the ones that will pop up in the forums pertaining to the products announced, we'll have more than enough.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 01:22 PM

Well, I'm looking at the pic on my 24" imac, and the chin is SLIGHTLY if at all smaller, the big news is the frame around hte display is a lot thinner. I just don't get it. 13 minutes after the start and he's on to ilife? No big news about the iMac? Just glossy screens and a faster processer? ****ing weak. No video input ports to hook up a gaming console? No faster top end GPU? Lame.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2007, 01:26 PM

No big news about the iMac? Just glossy screens and a faster processer? ****ing weak. No video input ports to hook up a gaming console? No faster top end GPU? Lame.
Take a pill.

Intel Core 2 Duo processors, upto 2.8 GHZ on 24 inch model, up to 4 GB of memory, faster graphics ATI Radeon
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 01:28 PM

Take a pill is right!! Specs:

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 01:28 PM

1 TB of storage in an iMac? Good Lord!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
1 TB of storage in an iMac? Good Lord!
You can do that now - 1TB SATA drives have been available for some time.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 01:51 PM

They look pretty hot to me.

I never liked the G5 iMac's design, but this thing is nice. Where's my wallet...

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 01:52 PM

Thinnnnnnnnn

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 01:55 PM

Looks like some good shizz, sexier than the old one.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2007, 01:56 PM

I'm glad to see that not only is FireWire 800 still present, but it's on all three of the new models.

I had been starting to think Apple's support for FireWire was beginning to wander.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

dindaex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 01:58 PM

My guesses are looking good. It looks like the web had a pretty good handle on things so far.

What's the biggest news?

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 01:59 PM

Well, I'm looking at the pic on my 24" imac, and the chin is SLIGHTLY if at all smaller, the big news is the frame around hte display is a lot thinner. I just don't get it. 13 minutes after the start and he's on to ilife? No big news about the iMac? Just glossy screens and a faster processer? ****ing weak. No video input ports to hook up a gaming console? No faster top end GPU? Lame.
I think that's great - now I don't have to become jealouse!
(got the "old" 24" too and planned to keep that one a while)

Rumor
Aug 7, 2007, 02:00 PM

Looks pretty damn nice.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 02:03 PM

It really doesn't look any thinner. I just turned my 24" sideways and I don't see any difference. My guess is the black 'back' of the iMac is making it look thinner, but it's not any thinner at all. IN fact, I think this update sucks:

1. No video input. The iMac is trying to bridge the gap between a computer room and the living room. It has a remote, and it has optical audio for hooking up to a home theater system. It upscales DVDs. It's insanely quiet. It has a gorgeous display. YET THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY TO HOOK UP A GAMING CONSOLE. WHY!? WHY!?!?!?! Dell manages to put like 5 freaking inputs on their displays, yet Apple can't even put ONE on their iMac! LAME!

2. GLOSSY SCREENS. Okay, I don't understand this. People have wanted MATTE screens on TVs for a long time, because it reduces glare. Same for laptops. Then they start coming out with glossy screens because they are 'perceived' to be brighter, but the iMac already has a retardedly bright display. My 24" iMac's display brightness has never even been moved up above minimum. It's REALLY bright! So why glossy screens to make them look even brighter? This will just increase glare, and make it harder to see, not to mention you have to stare at yourself whenever you use it, and forget about using it in any sort of bright environment (ie, room with windows and sunlight!).

3. Black border around display. WHY!? The thin aluminum frame makes the display look 'bigger', but it's not. It is now framed by a thick black border, and then a thin strip of aluminum. Ugly man! Ugly! They should have made the iMac smaller, or the display bigger, so the display went all the way to the edge! Yuck!

4. Crappy keyboard. Nuff said.

All in all I'm pretty pissed off. This update sucks.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 02:04 PM

Ahh I knew they would upgrade .Mac storage to 10gb! Genius idea, because before it was a rip off.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:06 PM

Dude, seriously, take a few deep breaths. This is NOT something worth ruining your day for. I think they look great!

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:08 PM

Apple is not ever going to give you video input. Learn it. Love it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus

What the hell is wrong with you? If this is the best attitude you can muster, I suggest you take your leave of this thread so the rest of us can continue on with an enjoyable discussion.

It really doesn't look any thinner. I just turned my 24" sideways and I don't see any difference. My guess is the black 'back' of the iMac is making it look thinner, but it's not any thinner at all. IN fact, I think this update sucks:

1. No video input. The iMac is trying to bridge the gap between a computer room and the living room. It has a remote, and it has optical audio for hooking up to a home theater system. It upscales DVDs. It's insanely quiet. It has a gorgeous display. YET THERE IS NO FREAKING WAY TO HOOK UP A GAMING CONSOLE. WHY!? WHY!?!?!?! Dell manages to put like 5 freaking inputs on their displays, yet Apple can't even put ONE on their iMac! LAME!

2. GLOSSY SCREENS. Okay, I don't understand this. People have wanted MATTE screens on TVs for a long time, because it reduces glare. Same for laptops. Then they start coming out with glossy screens because they are 'perceived' to be brighter, but the iMac already has a retardedly bright display. My 24" iMac's display brightness has never even been moved up above minimum. It's REALLY bright! So why glossy screens to make them look even brighter? This will just increase glare, and make it harder to see, not to mention you have to stare at yourself whenever you use it, and forget about using it in any sort of bright environment (ie, room with windows and sunlight!).

3. Black border around display. WHY!? The thin aluminum frame makes the display look 'bigger', but it's not. It is now framed by a thick black border, and then a thin strip of aluminum. Ugly man! Ugly! They should have made the iMac smaller, or the display bigger, so the display went all the way to the edge! Yuck!

4. Crappy keyboard. Nuff said.

All in all I'm pretty pissed off. This update sucks.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Aeternus
Baninated

That's because you are ignoring my valid complaints! No video input DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Neither do glossy screens! Neither does the black border!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Looks pretty damn nice.
Yea, the design looks very refined. It's as if all of Apple's experience with aluminum, glass, iPods, the iPhone, etc, has coalesced into one very nice looking desktop.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:09 PM

No kidding - no matter how cool the new announcements are, there always seems to be somebody that wants to sh!t on it all.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:10 PM

So what is left with the old white plastic casings? Mac Minis?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:12 PM

MacBooks (the white ones)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

No video input DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.
It makes sense to me. It's not intended to have normal video input.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster

Ah yes, forgot about those. I just think of them in black now.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
No kidding - no matter how cool the new announcements are, there always seems to be somebody that wants to sh!t on it all.
That's because it's a SHITTY update! Their 'upgrades' are NOT upgrades! Tell me ONE benefit of having an extremely glossy screen compared to a matte screen. Tell me why that is a good 'step forward'. Same with the black border. IT just makes it look like a CRT that hasn't been adjusted properly. Please explain the positive attributes or REASON you would prefer a black 1/2" border around your screen. Same goes for video input. The iMac is basically a living room computer, yet it has not video input. Please explain why dell manages to put tons of inputs on their cheap displays, yet Apple can't put ONE input on theirs!

If you can respond to my points, with reason, then maybe I'll agree with you. But right now, I just don't see the point to the things I've mentioned.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĘ’ View Post
So what is left with the old white plastic casings? Mac Minis?
I wouldn't call it 'old' because I'm thinking that even on the next revision of the macbook they arent going to make any dramatic changes to the shell.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:15 PM

Tell me ONE benefit of having an extremely glossy screen compared to a matte screen.
Deeper blacks, I believe.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
I wouldn't call it 'old' because I'm thinking that even on the next revision of the macbook they arent going to make any dramatic changes to the shell.
I mean old as in they've been in around a long time. The color, specifically.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 PM

ALSO, the new videocards aren't really an upgrade! The 2600HD Radeon is SLOWER than the 7600GT! ARGH.

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2007, 02:18 PM

Aeternus, maybe they had to make a decision of "If we had a video input, we would have to make the imac bigger as a whole to fit it in the casing," and most users probably wouldnt even use their iMac for a games console screen either.

Maybe next time, eh?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 02:18 PM

I dunno, I guess it wouldn't have killed Apple to put an HDMI in on the back, but I'm not gonna hyperventilate about it!

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 02:20 PM

Please explain why dell manages to put tons of inputs on their cheap displays, yet Apple can't put ONE input on theirs!

If you can respond to my points, with reason, then maybe I'll agree with you. But right now, I just don't see the point to the things I've mentioned.
The iMac is a computer - not a display! Apple puts inputs on their displays!
I agree with your other points (complaints)!

I just hope that the new graphic crds will be avialable seperately so I can get one for the white 24"!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 02:21 PM

That's because it's a SHITTY update! Their 'upgrades' are NOT upgrades! Tell me ONE benefit of having an extremely glossy screen compared to a matte screen. Tell me why that is a good 'step forward'. Same with the black border. IT just makes it look like a CRT that hasn't been adjusted properly. Please explain the positive attributes or REASON you would prefer a black 1/2" border around your screen. Same goes for video input. The iMac is basically a living room computer, yet it has not video input. Please explain why dell manages to put tons of inputs on their cheap displays, yet Apple can't put ONE input on theirs!

Yeah, how dare they put a black border on those screens! What, do they want to improve the video watching experience or something?!? The nerve!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus

Aeternus; I'm not asking you to knock it off. I'm telling you to knock it off. Now.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

badidea
Professional Poster

ALSO, the new videocards aren't really an upgrade! The 2600HD Radeon is SLOWER than the 7600GT! ARGH.
It is? Damn!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules