Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G4 Has problems

My G4 Has problems
jennifer12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 10:03 PM

I Have G4 / 533 Mz Dual Processor with a zip drive, I don't have a scuzzi card.( I don't think) When it started up the other morning it had very pale colors and the resolution changed to 640X480 I tried to adjust the Viewsonic Display but that only darkened the screen. I did change the resolution. I left for work and when I came home, started it up and saw a very frightening thing, the desktop was tripled so you saw three hard drives, three garbage cans etc.. You could not click on what you wanted to click on .I rebuilt the desk top, started with extensions off , restored in place , restored saving original items. It starts , goes through the whole booting process and then when it gets to the point after all the extension icons show up the screen goes black. I cannot figure this out. The display is fine when using the hardware restore CD. I have tried many more than 5 times and I actually feel sick about this because I need to work. If any one has any ideas I would be very thankful.
This computer is brand new and only 4 months old.
I am typing this from my pc, something I thought I would never have to use again.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 10:13 PM

Does your G4 have the nVidia graphics card, or the ATI Radeon?? I'm guessing the nVidia. Please post back with info.

jennifer12  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
<STRONG>Does your G4 have the nVidia graphics card, or the ATI Radeon?? I'm guessing the nVidia. Please post back with info.</STRONG>
You are correct it is the nVidia. Do you think ther is a problem with the card?

Cipher13
Jul 21, 2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by jennifer12:
<STRONG>

You are correct it is the nVidia. Do you think ther is a problem with the card?</STRONG>
I've never even heard of a problem like this, except a long time ago...

I'd say its either your card or drivers.

The drivers shouldn't matter because you restored them - but they could be the cause, seeing as when you start up, the problem isn't there is it?

Zap your PRAM - Apple-Option-P-R when you boot, straight away, and let go after you hear the third chime.

I would get Apple to replace your card.

Do you know anyone with an AGP Mac you could borrow a video card from to test the theory?

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 10:41 PM

I had the nVidia card in my G4 533. I don't know if this is related or not, but if you have updated the nVidia drivers, and the card has an older version firmware, you will see this abnormal behavior. I can't remember the firmware version, you can go check the Apple web site for the newer firmware for the nVidia card. Have you recently updated any of your Apple software?? I had the same problem as you did, but I don't know if it's related.

jennifer12  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 11:01 PM

<STRONG>I had the nVidia card in my G4 533. I don't know if this is related or not, but if you have updated the nVidia drivers, and the card has an older version firmware, you will see this abnormal behavior. I can't remember the firmware version, you can go check the Apple web site for the newer firmware for the nVidia card. Have you recently updated any of your Apple software?? I had the same problem as you did, but I don't know if it's related.</STRONG>
I recently updated my firmware with the software update, and I have zapped my pram. I have actually tried everything I know. In all my mac usage which goes back to 1980 I have never had a problem like this. I am running

Photoshop 6.
Quark 4.1
Illustrator 9.2
ATM 4.61
Dreamweaver 4
Fireworks 4
Flash 4
Microsoft office 98
Everything worked fine until this monitor was not at the correct resolution
By the way thanks for answering.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 12:00 AM

You need to check the firmware vers of the nVidia card via the Apple System Profiler, and check the Apple web site to see if the nVidia update is the same. Or it might be something unrelated to it. Have you checked your video cable to make sure it's tight? And maybe it's a problem with the ViewSonic.

jennifer12  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 12:19 AM

<STRONG>You need to check the firmware vers of the nVidia card via the Apple System Profiler, and check the Apple web site to see if the nVidia update is the same. Or it might be something unrelated to it. Have you checked your video cable to make sure it's tight? And maybe it's a problem with the ViewSonic.</STRONG>
I am printing all these things out and will check this stuff tomorrow.
The sad thing is my cable modem is connected to the mac and using this PC on the internet is actual torture. Thanks Jen

Forum Links
Forum Rules