Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Laptop: 12" G4 PB -> 13.3" Macbook Air

New Laptop: 12" G4 PB -> 13.3" Macbook Air
cspuryear
Dec 18, 2008, 01:25 PM

So I bought my wife a Macbook Air for Christmas from the Refurb site since my EPP discount allowed me to buy one for $999. Not a bad deal at all. I'm pretty excited about finally upgrading her after 4-5 years to a new Intel machine, AND being able to do the whole XP/Bootcamp thing. She has to run the Windows version of Quickbooks, so I'm going to do a small 10-15 gig partition for XP, and then she has everything in 1 laptop.

For the migration efforts, anything special I need to be aware of? Did I make a bad move getting the Air vs. a regular MacBook? Don't want buyer's remorse
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 18, 2008, 01:53 PM

It all depends on what she's gonna use it for! For QB and other business apps, it'll work great. For video editing, the lack of FireWire (compared to a refurb white one) is a limitation.

cspuryear  (op)
Dec 18, 2008, 03:39 PM

Yep, Quickbooks is going to be the only thing! I actually counted the number of times she used her DVD drive, etc... and it's been extremely minimal. She doesn't even like using an external mouse. I did however buy the refurb superdrive just to have in case of emergency

shrugs*
Dec 18, 2008, 03:40 PM

If it's just for Quickbooks I'd recommend using Parallels.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2008, 04:40 PM

Using the migration tool over 802.11n was taking way to long for my taste. I didn't have the usb ethernet adapter, so I can speak to its speed. I ultimately just set a new user and migrated everything the old fashion way using a usb external hard drive.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by shrugs* View Post
If it's just for Quickbooks I'd recommend using Parallels.
I agree... Parallels or Fusion. Much better solution than rebooting into Windows.

cspuryear  (op)
Dec 19, 2008, 06:35 PM

The only problem w/ Parallels or Fusion is that you have to buy it! I've already got a copy of XP Pro, and that's all I need for BootCamp

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2008, 07:50 PM

having to restart the machine just for Windows is a huge drag.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cspuryear View Post
The only problem w/ Parallels or Fusion is that you have to buy it! I've already got a copy of XP Pro, and that's all I need for BootCamp
True, however, as Spheric Harlot pointed out, it really is a major pain to have to reboot the machine to get into Windows (and then back again to OS X). And running Fusion in Unity mode is so seamless. (Or Parallels in Coherence mode.) You hardly even know your running Windows at all.

Edit: If you buy Fusion before 31 December, use coupon code "FusionRocks" to get 25% off.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 09:12 PM

Something worth trying out: VirtualBox/: a free alternative to VMWare and Parallels. I've never tried it, so I can't vouch either way. But the guys at Ars seemed pretty happy with it: http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...s-x-hosted-vms.

But beyond that, the Air seems like a good idea to me.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

cspuryear  (op)
Dec 20, 2008, 09:07 AM

We actually use VMWare all the time at work (XP Virtual machines), so if I got anything, it would be fusion. Where can I use that coupon code? At VMWare's site, or a 3rd party?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cspuryear View Post
We actually use VMWare all the time at work (XP Virtual machines), so if I got anything, it would be fusion. Where can I use that coupon code? At VMWare's site, or a 3rd party?
At the VMWare site. Here's a direct link.

cspuryear  (op)
Dec 20, 2008, 05:28 PM

Went ahead and bought VMWare Fusion 2 to give it a shot. It's $49 at Amazon w/ a $10 rebate. I'll let you guys know how it runs!

Anything specific I need to know about setting it up?

cspuryear  (op)
Dec 28, 2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks for everyone's help! Initial feedback from my wife and I is that the Macbook Air is awesome! I manually transferred everything (as opposed to Migration Assistant) and everything is working really good so far. Decided against Office 2008 and went w/ NeoOffice and Apple's Mail application, so far, so good! The new LED screens are a HUGE improvement over the old Powerbooks.

I also got VMWare Fusion 2 installed with Win XP Professional and it rocks, I appreciate the sugggestion. Got Quickbooks installed and restored the company backup in the virtual machine and it appears everything is just as it was.

Happy Holidays!

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2008, 12:29 AM

Glad to hear everything went well! Hopes she enjoys it!
Happy Holidays
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

Forum Links
Forum Rules