Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > L/R Audio Balance Menulet?

L/R Audio Balance Menulet?
Phosphor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2010, 11:30 AM

I'm still running 10.4.11 on my G4 music recording system. A known problem with the system up until this point (is it fixed yet? don't know...) is that if you rapidly tap the keyboard's "Volume Up/Volume Down" keys it can throw the left—right stereo balance off center. To fix it you have to open the Sound Preferences Pane and manually drag the little slider to re-center it.

I've looked in vain for a Menulet which would put a Balance control in the Menu Bar, but as far as I can tell, this is a problem nobody has ever addressed.

Has anyone ever seen one? I'd be massively grateful if anyone knows of such a little beast and could point me toward it.

TIA!
Phos....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 06:19 PM

AppleScript:
Code:
tell application "System Preferences" activate set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.sound" reveal (first anchor of current pane whose name is "output") end tell tell application "System Events" launch tell process "System Preferences" to tell slider 1 of group 1 of tab group 1 of window 1 to set value to 0 end tell quit application "System Preferences"
Turn on "Enable access for assistive devices" in Universal Access pref pane.
( Last edited by Doofy; Jun 1, 2010 at 06:31 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Phosphor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Doof-meister!

I'd placed this question on a few forums this morning, and I just happened to check back on FineTunedMac first. A user there provided a link to a similar script.

It's a nice solution to an annoying problem...don't know what took me so long to look for a solution that was easier than a manual re-adjustment.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 07:16 PM

This used to bug me too. Hasn't happened for a few years - maybe it only affects certain hardware or only affects machines which sleep (mine doesn't bother). <shrug>
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules