Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What happened to Logitech?

What happened to Logitech? (Page 2)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 06:42 PM

The other problem is that the way Logitech designs their keyboards is not really compatible with the Mac design aesthetic. They tend to be huge and bulky, with tons of extraneous keys, media buttons, LCD screens, and wrist rests (and is there any surer way to get an RSI than to rest your wrist on one of those while typing?), whereas Mac users like the keyboard to be more on the small and simple side, like Apple's keyboards.

Just look at their product line. Logitech has a thousand different models of PC keyboard, and the only one that I know of that had the Mac layout was the DiNovo Edge. Yet even with all Mac sales combined into the sales of one model, it still didn't sell enough to justify keeping it. What does this say about Logitech's Mac sales?

Anyway, you can turn any PC keyboard into a Mac one just by putting stickers over the Windows and Alt keys, and there's no practical difference between a PC mouse and a Mac mouse at all, so it's not the end of the world if you like Logitech's products and would like to continue using them.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2011, 12:02 AM

Don't know why discussing keyboards, my thread is about a mouse. I personally buy the old white keyboard for the G5, love it.
But they make a great mouse!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Don't know why discussing keyboards, my thread is about a mouse. I personally buy the old white keyboard for the G5, love it.
But they make a great mouse!
Geeze, dude, you're not listing.

Macs come with keyboards *and* mice. (Keyboards was brought in to make the point that you didn't get.)
Most Mac users don't use anything else. Hence, there's only a small market.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2011, 03:35 AM

Hey, I have a third-party Logitech mouse. Kept the Apple keyboard though.

Incidentally, all mice work great with Macs with no special differentiator needed.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2011, 03:00 PM

got it Turtle. I guess I'm different. I don't like either the Apple or Mouse. but I'm sure you are correct.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 03:14 PM

got it Turtle. I guess I'm different. I don't like either the Apple or Mouse. but I'm sure you are correct.
You are part of 0.5% (I made up that number ) of users that use more than two buttons of a mouse.
Most people on a PC use two buttons, on a Mac only one button.

Customization of buttons is a fringe activity.

-t

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2011, 03:51 PM

wd-40 joke? is there a way to get the middle wheel looser? I don't remember the old one starting out so tight.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 04:06 PM

They generally get looser over time. But I have seen a fair share of difference in "looseness" among mice of the same make and model. I have not seen any mouse where you can easily adjust the looseness.

-t

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2011, 04:35 PM

Interesting Turtle, did not know. I just thought it would be cool to launch 4-5 apps from a mouse. Most people don't think of that I guess.

reader50
Administrator
May 8, 2011, 04:44 PM

I assign my extra MX-518 keys to Exposé functions. You can do that in the Exposé pref pane.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2011, 07:07 PM

Yeah reader, I just use the expose to clear the screen quickly with the small button under scroll wheel. I read an article years ago you don't know the Expose experience until you can dismiss the desktop with the mouse. I also launch Firefox, Excel etc. so these mouses are really great and it is very odd they don't include us Mac users in their thinking!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I assign my extra MX-518 keys to Exposé functions. You can do that in the Exposé pref pane.
Yep, and you don't have to have any third-party software installed to do it, either.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2011, 12:27 AM

Charles, you do now. That's what this thread is all about. New mouses like 518 do not come with Mac control panel.
Reader, what other expose functions do you use besides clearing the desktop?

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2011, 02:20 AM

I assign the small button furthest below the wheel (button #6) to 'Show Desktop' (F11). The side buttons are sometimes assigned to the other Exposé functions (F9, F10) but I rarely use those. Then I tried them with Spaces, but I rarely use Spaces. Dual 28" monitors are so much better.

I underuse the side buttons. The buttons directly above/below the wheel are not practical to assign on the 518. Unlike the earlier 5xx mice, Logitech made them default to a mouse dpi setting. Upper button is high sensitivity for gaming, lower button is low sensitivity for editing / fatbits work.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2011, 03:44 AM

The other problem is that the way Logitech designs their keyboards is not really compatible with the Mac design aesthetic. They tend to be huge and bulky, with tons of extraneous keys, media buttons, LCD screens, and wrist rests (and is there any surer way to get an RSI than to rest your wrist on one of those while typing?), whereas Mac users like the keyboard to be more on the small and simple side, like Apple's keyboards.
Those gaming keyboards look atrocious next to a Mac, but none of them are true Mac specific keyboards.

The diNovo Edge might not fit most Macs but didn't look bad along with the aluminum/black iMac or even the 2010 Mac mini.

Just look at their product line. Logitech has a thousand different models of PC keyboard, and the only one that I know of that had the Mac layout was the DiNovo Edge.
And the 'diNovo Mac Edition', which was smaller than the S530 Mac Edition, which went beyond the Mac layout as it came with a white housing, anything Apple had to be white back then. The diNovo is the smoothest keyboard I had ever had. And style-wise is a far cry from its brethren PC gaming keyboards. Albeit 'Mac Edition' here just means it comes with a Mac layout as this keyboard is also available for the Windows crowd.

Since I needed a full-size cordless keyboard and can't get one from Apple, I went from this…

to this…

Don't get me wrong, I love the wireless Mighty Mouse and like the Apple keyboard, a bit hard to type on, though. Kind of those older phones that used to come with actual keypads.

As for the side buttons on the MX mouse, I use then as back-forward web browser, iTunes Store… commands. Comes handy and it is faster than anything else.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 11:46 AM

Charles, you do now. That's what this thread is all about. New mouses like 518 do not come with Mac control panel.
Reader, what other expose functions do you use besides clearing the desktop?
Not to assign the buttons to Exposé functions, you don't. The Exposé prefpane automatically detects the extra buttons on whatever mouse you may have.

Frankly, I think that using the buttons for Exposé makes a lot more sense than using a mouse as an app launcher, but to each his own I guess.

P
May 10, 2011, 07:19 AM

I think Logitech is focusing more on their gaming accessories these days, and that means less focus on the Mac by default. With the upscale market moving to laptops, there is less need for keyboards, and the mice do indeed work with all computers.

I use a Logitech MX510, but the keyboard has been Apple standard for a while. A short trial with a backlit Logitech keyboard made me realize how pointless that was on a desktop (the spillover light from the display is more than enough, because the angle of the display is much steeper than on a laptop).

The MX510 was a replacement for an old Mouseman wheel that eventually died. I have programmed the big thumb button to enter and the small thumb button to esc - basically, OK and Cancel in dialog boxes. The small buttons above and below the wheel are Page Up and Page Down, respectively (there are situations where the wheel doesn't work) and the last, "middle" button is Exposé Show all windows. Dashboard and Show desktop are on two screen corners, with the screen saver on a third.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2011, 02:08 PM

Charles, I buy the old white keyboard from a place online, if you want the the link, let me know.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 12, 2011, 04:28 PM

Logitech mice are junk. That's why Mac users don't buy them and why Logitech doesn't make them for the Mac. The last 2 logitech mice I bought for my Mac years ago broke within 6 months. So I bought the cheapest Microsoft optical mouse I could find and it's still working and has been working for over 2 years.

I wouldn't touch a Logitech mouse with a 10 foot pole.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

-Q-
May 12, 2011, 04:36 PM

That's certainly not been my experience. My Logitech MX500 has been a rock solid mouse going on 8 years now. My revolution has also been a great mouse for work (in service 3 years and counting, I think?).

Their software, on the other hand....

reader50
Administrator
May 12, 2011, 05:37 PM

My MX518 has worked for ~5 years now. I replaced an MX510 because it seemed about old enough to fail, and I wanted to try out the higher dpi of the 518. The old 510 is still working today on the backup computer. So two Logitech mice in 5 years = 0 failures.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Logitech mice are junk. That's why Mac users don't buy them and why Logitech doesn't make them for the Mac. The last 2 logitech mice I bought for my Mac years ago broke within 6 months. So I bought the cheapest Microsoft optical mouse I could find and it's still working and has been working for over 2 years.

That's entirely untrue. My Logitech MX310 is absolutely fantastic, the best mouse I've ever used, and it's been working perfectly for probably about 10 years now — and it's taken its fair share of abuse in that time.

Part of my frustration with wireless mice is that no one seems to be able to make one nice enough to be able to replace my old MX310 without regrets. Put a Bluetooth radio inside this mouse somehow, and it'd be about perfect.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2011, 10:41 PM

I concur, my MX 500 -- long time going, long time, great mouse. But I'm always open to hear who does them better. I have not seen another company integrate the buttons and feel as good yet.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2011, 12:59 AM

Their speakers, on the other hand…

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 13, 2011, 10:29 AM

All I know is I wore out two MX500 within months. The first one broke the left-click button (I'd hold it down and it wouldn't register), the second one broke the right click button. And this was in my serious Mac gaming days. So then I bought a Microsoft mouse and never had a problem after that. A year after that, was when I bought my Xbox 360.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

cspuryear
May 13, 2011, 12:17 PM

The Logitech s530 has been a great Keyboard/Mouse combo....I just wish Logitech or Microsoft would make another great Bluetooth Keyboard and/or Mouse to free help free up USB ports!!!
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 03:43 PM

Mac specific keyboards from Logitech are back. Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 03:53 PM

Holy cow! That looks like the full-size wireless keyboard that Apple refuses to make.

Unfortunately, the fact that it's solar powered means that it probably won't work in the dark...

edit: and it's non-Bluetooth, which means you need a receiver eating one of your scarce USB ports.

ibook_steve
Aug 30, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Unfortunately, the fact that it's solar powered means that it probably won't work in the dark...
Why not? It still has a battery to store charge.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

-Q-
Aug 30, 2011, 04:49 PM

Was tempted by the keyboard until I saw that lack of bluetooth.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2011, 03:36 AM

It's been reviewed by Electronista. A pity it doesn't come with Logitech PerfectStroke key system.

Review - Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac Review | Electronista

@ Logitech, we just need a Mac version of this keyboard.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2011, 08:18 AM

That K800 is sweet, almost got one for my HTPC but couldn't justify the price when all I needed was basic functionality (e.g. XBMC control).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 02:15 PM

Logitech K760, solar powered and Bluetooth, can you believe it.? We have the iPhone and iPad to thank for that.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Logitech is making big money in the remote business.
I see that picture and then I look at my Apple TV remote control.. and WTF!! those remotes looks like they can change a diaper when needed!
cheers

andi*pandi
May 31, 2012, 08:53 AM

We have a logitech universal not quite as fancy as those above, got at christmas. It was awesome until last month, when it kept forgetting which setting it should be on, which devices were on, etc. So now back to the fios remote.

ibook_steve
May 31, 2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We have a logitech universal not quite as fancy as those above, got at christmas. It was awesome until last month, when it kept forgetting which setting it should be on, which devices were on, etc. So now back to the fios remote.
I don't understand. Did you try going back into the Logitech Harmony Software and checking the settings and updating the remote? I've had 0 problems with my Harmony remotes (676 and 700). I love them.

Steve

andi*pandi
May 31, 2012, 12:25 PM

Nope, haven't tried that... changed the batteries is all. If you select the "tv" setting which turns on all the relevant equipment it then it sleeps right away and forgets what you've set, so you have to manually select the receiver to change volume, fios box to change channel etc. Or shut off everything and turn back on.

Will try seeing if there is an update, but I like a remote that you don't need to tinker with.

ibook_steve
May 31, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Nope, haven't tried that... changed the batteries is all. If you select the "tv" setting which turns on all the relevant equipment it then it sleeps right away and forgets what you've set, so you have to manually select the receiver to change volume, fios box to change channel etc. Or shut off everything and turn back on.

Will try seeing if there is an update, but I like a remote that you don't need to tinker with.
Well, you had to have tinkered with it at some point since that's the only way to program it!

But by "sleep", you mean whole remote shut off and reset? And changing batteries didn't fix it? There may be something else wrong with it in that case.

Steve

andi*pandi
May 31, 2012, 09:51 PM

Hey, it was a present, my husband programmed it.

yep, it shuts off randomly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules