Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon Instant Video app hits iPad, misses iPhone

Amazon Instant Video app hits iPad, misses iPhone
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 1, 2012, 11:44 AM

Amazon has released long-anticipated mobile app for the iPad, Instant Video. The title lets users watch a "selection of top Prime Instant Video titles" from the Amazon Prime subscription catalog, with an option to download content for offline viewing. Also present in the app is access to a watchlist and queue, along with automatic access to Season Pass TV episodes on the day after they have been broadcast.

The software can automatically resume from a point where a video was stopped, including material watched on a Kindle Fire, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, Mac, or other supported device. There is no iPhone counterpart at present, nor is there the ability to browse video-on-demand content or purchase from within the app itself. The sudden release of the app somewhat mirrors that of Hulu Plus appearing onto the Apple TV, as both services appeared on new devices without any official press release from the parent company.

ButisitArt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2012, 04:22 AM

I just downloaded this on my iPad 2. i've signed into my Amazon account, I have a current subscription to Prime, but every time I try to play something I get a dialog telling me "Playback is not allowed on this device." I've eMailed Amazon and am awaiting a reply.

Am I missing something here?

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2012, 07:41 AM

Are you jailbroken? They're actively blocking that.

ButisitArt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks. Yeah ... just saw the article on Cult Of Mac. Also found out the fix. Install xCon from Cydia. And it works!

Forum Links
Forum Rules