Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Samsung print ad tries to tamp down iPhone 5 hype

Samsung print ad tries to tamp down iPhone 5 hype
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 15, 2012, 04:18 PM

The iPhone 5 may have released to enormous interest from customers, but Samsung is looking to steal a bit of Apple's thunder with a new print campaign. The South Korean phone maker will be rolling out a new ad campaign as iPhone 5 preorders go into their first weekend, with a new ad appearing tomorrow to highlight Apple's new phone's supposed deficiencies in light of the capabilities of the Galaxy S III.

Under the headline "It doesn't take a genius," Samsung's ad shows the new iPhone, black and monolithic with its screen deactivated, and a white Galaxy S III, its screen activated. Below the two handsets, Samsung provides a list of each phone's specs, software, and capabilities. Samsung's list, of course, is weighted in the Galaxy S III's favor, neglecting to the new iPhone's improved camera functionality and poking fun at the new Lightning connector, which received a good deal of attention at Apple's recent event. The list of iPhone 5 features measures about half the size of the S III's features, though, and doesn't mention features such as PassBook or Facebook integration. The new ad signals that Samsung is not willing to cede even a week of attention to Apple's new device, opting instead to go on the ad offensive even in the face of phenomenal sales for the new iPhone. Samsung's Galaxy S III has been the breakout phone of 2012 so far, racking up 20 million in sales in its first hundred days and setting a pace for 30 million by the end of the year.

curmi
Senior User
Sep 15, 2012, 04:44 PM

Albert Einstein once said:

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2012, 04:51 PM

And they used a rectangle with rounded corners to rub it in.
This is a sad advertisement, but even sadder is the number of people who will actually believe this to be convincing.

Rodolfo Soto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 05:03 PM

Its a great ad, I switched from iPhone 4s to Galaxy SIII, and I was hoping the Iphone 5 would give me something to switch back to. Nope, it was a huge dissapointment, the Galaxy is amazing, the bigger screen is great, when I'm t the gym on the threadmill, the battery life is better than my old iPhone...nothing but good things for Samsung. Apple's time is over. Now I can't wait for the Microsoft Surface.

aroxnicadi
Sep 15, 2012, 05:07 PM

If I was going to buy a Smartphone I would'nt buy a cheap imitation that Sammy is trying to pawn off on the public, I would buy the real thing, like the iPhone, but Apple better start to realize that they are going to have to come down on their price to make it affordable, which they don't really seem interested in doing, but would rather gouge the public which in the end will hurt their sales over the long haul since we all know that they are making at least a 98% markup on the iPhones.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2012, 05:20 PM

Not to be rude, but they sold out globally in 12 hours, I don't think you should be giving advice on what they should be doing. I think they have things under control.

DrSkywalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rodolfo Soto View Post
Its a great ad, I switched from iPhone 4s to Galaxy SIII, and I was hoping the Iphone 5 would give me something to switch back to. Nope, it was a huge dissapointment, the Galaxy is amazing, the bigger screen is great, when I'm t the gym on the threadmill, the battery life is better than my old iPhone...nothing but good things for Samsung. Apple's time is over. Now I can't wait for the Microsoft Surface.
LOL. Behold the MS Troll. 20 million in sales thanks to deep discounts and giveaways. "Huge disappointment." Gimme a break. But I guess when you have to "settle" for an Android phone you have to be like the Little Engine that Could and keep saying, " I think it's good, I think it's good, I think it's good...". Market share is like a long schlong contest; it really doesn't prove anything. You've left 20 million dissatisfied lovers in the wake of your conquests, but at the end of the day the guy who knows what he's doing, and that ended up with Angelina Jolie and all the profits as opposed to volume is perfectly content. As are his "customers".

prl99
Senior User
Sep 15, 2012, 05:30 PM

Rodolfo, good luck with the Microsoft surface. Tell us when you get your first virus. I checked the Samsung dimensions and make up a mock phone and even though I have long fingers (I can span 9.5"), holding something that large takes two hands to use properly. If it works for you, that's fine, but it's just too wide and tall for me. I'll take the smaller iPhone.

aronicadi, yes, it would be nice to pay less for an iPhone but I just checked AT&T's price for the Galaxy SIII and it's the same $199 for a 16GB model plus you get all those fantastic AT&T pre-loaded apps. As for markup, that's one of those funny things. Apple makes hardware and creates software, both of which are used in an iPhone. When you see that one person has estimated the iPhone5 costs ~$160 in materials (they are guessing because they haven't seen the actual phone) that never takes into account software, R&D, of even shipping. Yes, Apple makes a profit on the phone and like the good company it is, it pours it back into R&D and support. If you want a cheap product, buy something from a company that sells knock-offs made of garbage. Otherwise, pony up and get something that works and will last more than one call.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2012, 05:40 PM

I might become interested in Android devices when I can have them for longer a year or two without them being considered obsolete with no upgrade path due to carrier restrictions.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2012, 05:56 PM

Sorry but I don't buy cheap knock-offs.
Those that do are the kind of cheap-skates that buy fake diamond rings for their girlfriends (assuming they even have one).

benjitek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 06:17 PM

That's what they'd (Samsung) really like for more people to believe, especially the judicial system

At they end-of-the-day, it amounts to you using the device you prefer.

It's really not a debate, merely a preference...

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2012, 06:34 PM

The 2GB thing is a 'dumb brag'. Put them side by side and operate it and the Samesong unit clearly NEEDS more RAM to catch up.

Yes, it does take a genius to figure this out, maybe.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'll have neither. Nexus only for me please.

elroth
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2012, 06:54 PM

They don't list "Slide To Unlock" or "Scrolling with Rubber Band Effect" as features - why not? (That's a rhetorical question).

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 07:02 PM

Like my wife said to me: it ain't about the size of Ram, it's how you use it! :lol! I have a buddy at my job who goes through all these Android phones like water! Last month he had a Galaxy SIII, this month he has a Droid Razor Max (I think that's what it's called). He's gone through so many Android phones (as well as the BlackBerry Storm when THAT was out about a century ago). My other buddy and I have iPhones (4, and 4S respectively), and we keep trying to tell him he'll never be satisfied until he goes iPhone. I think we FINALLY convinced him with the iPhone 5 coming out.

evansls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2012, 10:10 PM

This is my interpretation on the subject as well http://phillihp.com/2012/09/16/samsung-attacks-iphone-5-with-new-advertisement/

efithian
Sep 16, 2012, 04:15 AM

I think I'll get one of these superior quality Samsung phones. It will look really nice with my Relex watch and my Goach briefcase, which were also great bargains.

Rodolfo Soto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2012, 08:42 AM

It's ridiculous how many of you bad mouth my post and the Samsung S3 without ever having one. It's ok I use to be one of you, tied into apples system thinking there's nothing better. I've had every single iPhone since they came out. I own ipad 2 and the new ipad, and I owned iPad 1. I have a mac book pro, and had a normal mac book.
Someone even made it about money and called me cheap. I wonder if that person ever went to Apple and forked down full price for an iPhone on 3 separate occasions.Apples time to shine is over, nothing is revolutionary about their new phone. There are better options and some of you should give others a chance.

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rodolfo Soto View Post
It's ridiculous how many of you bad mouth my post and the Samsung S3 without ever having one. It's ok I use to be one of you, tied into apples system thinking there's nothing better. I've had every single iPhone since they came out. I own ipad 2 and the new ipad, and I owned iPad 1. I have a mac book pro, and had a normal mac book.
Someone even made it about money and called me cheap. I wonder if that person ever went to Apple and forked down full price for an iPhone on 3 separate occasions.Apples time to shine is over, nothing is revolutionary about their new phone. There are better options and some of you should give others a chance.
Wow! With all those expensive Apple products you have (had?), I would say you are STILL tied into Apple's ecosystem. And you definitely are not cheap if you purchased all of that!

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2012, 01:58 PM

Apple used to be an innovative company, it's latest product is nothing but.

Be it a 4 inch screen, better cameras, or a multicore CPU, All it's features are playing catch up with year old features of year old Android handsets. Apple even copied Android's notification system...

All the media hype about iPhones being sold out globally is nothing but the Apple marketing 101 doing it's thing.

As much as Apple might try to sell the idea to it's fans that the new connector is there to somehow improve connectivity & better match the slimmer design, it is they for the sole reason of extracting yet more money from customers in the form of the $30 adaptor, as well as accessories licensees.

Just like the not-user replaceable batteries...

Apple has officially ceased to innovate.

The iPhone 4S only had the beta US-only Siri, which at least urged Google & others to improve it's voice recognition offerings, the latest iPhone does not offer anything new just catch up tech.

It used to be that Apple made fun in it's adds of companies (like Microsoft) failed to innovate, and "played it safe"; well Apple had now made the full circle, and now innovates even less than it's rivals - just as it's R&D budget reflects.

Seems Apple, did indeed lose something with the partying of Jobs, our even he lose something as he dropped the "computer" from it's name.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
Be it a 4 inch screen, better cameras, or a multicore CPU, All it's features are playing catch up with year old features of year old Android handsets. Apple even copied Android's notification system...
All the media hype about iPhones being sold out globally is nothing but the Apple marketing 101 doing it's thing.
As much as Apple might try to sell the idea to it's fans that the new connector is there to somehow improve connectivity & better match the slimmer design, it is they for the sole reason of extracting yet more money from customers in the form of the $30 adaptor, as well as accessories licensees.
The iPhone 4S only had the beta US-only Siri, which at least urged Google & others to improve it's voice recognition offerings, the latest iPhone does not offer smoothing new just catch up tech.
It used to be that Apple made fun in it's adds of companies (like Microsoft) failed to innovate, and "played it safe"; well Apple had now made the full circle, and now innovates even less than it's rivals - just as it's R&D budget reflects.
Seems Apple, did indeed lose something with the partying of Jobs, our even he lose something as he dropped the "computer" from it's name.
Innovation does not necessarily amount to having the longest checklist of features. Innovation is in the details too, such as performance optimization (which Android devices have had difficulty with until recently), in devices not being rendered obsolete within a year due to carrier imposed upgrade restrictions, in ease of use, usability, and on and on.

elroth
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
The iPhone 4S only had the beta US-only Siri, which at least urged Google & others to improve it's voice recognition offerings, the latest iPhone does not offer anything new just catch up tech.
Is that you, Norm Crosby?

Forum Links
Forum Rules