Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Adobe issues 'emergency' Flash update to stop new malware

Adobe issues 'emergency' Flash update to stop new malware
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 7, 2013, 11:25 PM

Adobe has issued a patch to update Flash on both the Mac and Windows platform in order to fix two new vulnerabilities already being exploited "in the wild" to spread malware. One of the targeted attacks using the exploit works equally well against Mac users as it does against Windows users. Visitors are tricked into downloading and opening MS Word files that contain malicious Flash content, while the other vulnerability users a similar technique but only affects Windows users.

Ironically, the patch comes on the same day that Adobe has announced a future version of Flash that will make exactly this sort of embedded attack hidden in Microsoft Office documents more difficult to achieve. Office 2010 and later already has a "Protected Mode" that prompts users to give an OK before any embedded Flash content is played, but a forthcoming Flash revision will apply the same protection to users of Office 2008 and earlier. Users of Google Chrome for Mac and PC or Internet Explorer 10 on Windows will have their Flash install automatically updated and do not need to do anything. Users of other browsers should disable Flash until it can be updated to the latest version, which is now 11.5.502.149. A Linux update is available as well that brings its Flash version to 11.2.202.262. Readers can check on their current version of Flash by visiting Adobe's Flash page.

Orbifold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2013, 03:14 AM

My new Mac is 3 weeks old and I haven't installed Flash yet. Each time I want to watch a video and I can't because it only plays when Flash is installed I've decided the video isn't worth inflicting Flash on my nice fast Mac.

mojkarma
Feb 8, 2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks pal. My life woulnd't make any sense anymore if you hadn't tell us that you don't use flash on your fancy new 3 weeks old Mac.

ButisitArt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2013, 11:22 AM

Nice! The installer downloaded from the Adobe website errors out at the end of the install with "General installer error." Got to love it! Fixed permissions ... still errored out.

Went to MacUpdate & downloaded from there.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2013, 01:16 PM

Was using Click-to-Flash on my old '08 MacBook. Then on my '12 MacBook Pro. This warning reminded me that it had been months since I had "C2Fed" so I just finished uninstalling the last bits of Flash. I am now Flash-Free.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

mwallison
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2013, 06:08 PM

After seeing this update on MacNN, I downloaded and updated my MacPro (2009). After doing this update I couldn't use my USB ports (trying a USB drive and it couldn't see my USB printer). Very strange. I then uninstalled flash and everything worked find again!
Don't know about using with other Macs of mine but, I don't want to even try it (after this wasted about an hour of my time today).

Drunken Economist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2013, 04:43 AM

Okay, since everyone has figured out that they need Flash.. but not from Adopey, just do what Gruber does: Install Google Chrome, which comes with BUILT IN, SANDBOXED, and most importantly TESTED BY GOOGLE NOT ADOBE Flash.

Problem solved: De-Install Adopey Flash, JUST USE CHROME.

Windows users, you too can join in on this fun.

JUST SAY NO TO ADOPEY FLASH installed at the OS level, and SAY YES to Flash boxed in Chrome.

Oh and YOU'RE WELCOME.

Forum Links
Forum Rules