Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM Disk question

RAM Disk question
Eckhard
Mar 28, 2000, 02:21 PM

Greetings!

I am the proud owner of a "new" 233G3 Wallstreet (the one with backside cache).

I have created a 26MB RAM disk (saved as an image file), on which I mounted a small system 9.0 folder and my disk repair utilities. I reboot into it and it allows me to use DiskWarrior, etc, which do not function on the start-up disk.
But since this system doesn't contain all the extensions and control panels, I don't use it for anything else.

Is it possible to use just portions of the System folder on a RAM disk - like the System and Finder files themselves - and get a speed boost?
How are YOU using a RAM disk?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 28, 2000, 09:17 PM

You can't split up a System Folder (unfortunately... it would be nice to be able to), so unless you have hundreds of MBs of RAM, you won't be able to put a full Mac OS on a RAM disk.

They are useful for when you will be saving files frequently, or for programs' scratch files. But I have found that the current Mac OS reads and writes from/to disk too often for RAM disks to be much in the way of energy savers.

A friend of mine uses a RAM disk (set not to save) for Netscape's cache and cookie storage, so that every restart automatically erases the cache and cookies.

tooki

Tinman
Mar 28, 2000, 10:34 PM

I think if you want to use programs like DiskWarrior, a good way is to create a RAM disk that is just large enough to hold them, startup the computer using a Mac OS CD and run those programs from the RAM disk.

Coyote
Mar 28, 2000, 11:26 PM

I think you can use Conflict Catcher to resolve aliases of files in a system folder.

i.e. use conflict catcher in the RamDisk's system folder, with aliases in the system folder to the real controlpanels/extensions. Conflict catcher should then load the extensions from disk at startup.

-Coyote

Eckhard
Mar 29, 2000, 09:24 AM

Thanks!

While I'm a little disappointed that nothing else can be done with the RAM disk, at least I wasn't missing anything important either

eckhard

ATP Tour Fan
Mar 30, 2000, 02:15 AM

RAM Disks that house a system and your apps can save lots of battery life on Powerbooks.

On my WallStreet w/ DVD Kit, I put the DVD, system, and anything else I'd need in the RAM Disk. That way when I'm running off the battery, 1) there are NO skips in the video due to hitting the HD, and 2) the battery lasts so much longer because the HD is not spinning.

I also like how my machine can start up in 20 seconds with a RAM disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules