Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Warm Pismo - should I be concerned?

Warm Pismo - should I be concerned?
Eli
Apr 13, 2000, 09:52 PM

By nature, I'm a heavy-heavy computer user ... my machine is on usually eight-nine hours a day consistently without rest. I recently bought a Pismo Powerbook, and am very concerned with how warm it gets on the underside (I think it's in the area of the hard disk).

I guess a bit of my concern stems from the fact that this machine replaced a 333 iMac ... which died after six months of heavy use. We're talking dead HD and motherboard here ... according to the Apple technician, "they melted."

So guys? Do I have a reason to be antsy over the heat this thing generates? Any ideas as to what I can do to lower the temperature?

Thanks!

Eli

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2000, 09:59 PM

newertech gaugepro will tell you the cpu temp on your Mac, free, see versiontracker.com

better yet click this http://www.newertech.com/software/gauges/index.html

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-13-2000).]

Eli
Apr 13, 2000, 11:41 PM

About five minutes after startup, I'm fluctuating between 35 and 36 degrees celsius ... or 95/96 degrees fahrenheit ...

Too warm?

Eli

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2000, 11:56 PM

not even, you are in the comfort zone!

Eli
Apr 14, 2000, 12:08 AM

So if this is the 'comfort zone' ... at what temperature should I begin to get worried?

Thanks for all the help!

Eli

ATP Tour Fan
Apr 14, 2000, 01:11 AM

Eli, My old WallStreet always ran at like 65C, but my new Pismo/400 runs at your temp. This is COMFORT! No more sweating through my shorts! LOL

If your book gets 'too hot', the fan will turn on and your temp should decrease quickly.

CarlC
Apr 14, 2000, 01:31 AM

I don't have a laptop, but I have played with overclocking my G3 Desktop. Moto has a web page which shows max temps for processors, my 266 max is at 100�C, I've had it up to 80�C before shuting it off. You should be fine.

I dont know if this applies to Powerbooks though?

------------------
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -MacAddict

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2000, 06:44 AM

My Pismo 400, according to Gague Pro, is between 43-47 degrees C. It's sitting on my lap on top of a flannel blanket so that's probably not helping...

Otherwise I keep my PowerBook on 24 hours a day (it sleeps a couple hours each day). I did the same thing with my Lombard that I had for 8 months... no problem with that. Same deal with my Wallstreet 300 (man was that a hot machine)... again, no problems.

Your iMac must've been a fluke. Unless you stuck some 7200 RPM drive in there or something.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2000, 08:37 PM

I use a control strip module that tells me the temp of my processor, and a history.
My processor has gotten as low as 66 degrees farenheit, and as high as 131 degrees. I've been between 80 and 100 degrees.

Preachs
Apr 15, 2000, 08:31 PM

Man, I don't know what's happening here but my Wallstreet 300 runs around 160 degrees if I'm running it a lot.

ATP Tour Fan
Apr 17, 2000, 11:22 AM

That's nothing. WallStreet 300s, and especially WallStreet 292s, ran VERY hot, but that's all normal. My old cacheless 233 WallStreet hovered around 155-170F, so my new Pismo/400 feels like it's being supercooled!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 18, 2000, 03:19 PM

It is by no coincidence that G3 Series PowerBooks got the nickname of "lap warmers".

FWIW the hottest I have gotten my Pismo 400 to is 136�F, whn running it on top of a very warm down comforter. The fan has never, ever turned on.

Eli: it is not the hard drive that gets warm, it is the processor.

tooki

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2000, 12:14 AM

Hmmmmm, everyone's powerbook temps seem to be pretty low.......I ran guage pro and my temp is 181 degrees F!!!! Almost all the time as well. One thing is though, i never put my machine to sleep or turn it off unless i'm travelling....is this odd or what?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 23, 2000, 06:09 PM

Duboy: we can't tell you whether that's too high or not unless you tell us what model it is. Pismos, for example, are much cooler than Wallstreets.

tooki

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2000, 02:24 AM

tooki,
i've got a Lombard 400.........what do you think? too hot?

Forum Links
Forum Rules