Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What to do with PowerBase200 MT?

What to do with PowerBase200 MT?
Mikel
Aug 27, 2000, 09:46 PM

We bought this machine in '97 (17" monitor, ZIP drive, 64RAM, etc.)
Considering all the "upgrades" (hard drive, CD ROM drive, etc) we came to the conclusion that the total cost nearly equals the cost of an iMac. What can we do with this "monster"?
I don't want to "give" it away....

g4-guy
Aug 27, 2000, 10:25 PM

Auction it off on eBay or Yahoo Auctions. Set a reserve, and you'll sell that Mac for a reasonable price to someone who wants it.

Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

The Wolfe
Aug 28, 2000, 12:01 AM

If you have the room (or the will), you could set up a data backup server using the PowerCC computer. I currently have two backup servers redundantly storing my workstation and iMac's HD data. I back up all my data (all the programs I have installed, documents, special extensions etc), just in case something happens to either machine. All I had to do was get a 10BaseT hub and network them together, it was very simple, and now I don't have to worry about loosing my data forever.

Most every Power Computing machine I know of had either built in networking or came with a networking card, so that would make things even simpler.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Richie Daggers Crime
Aug 28, 2000, 03:54 PM

Buy a SCSI Cd-Burner and use it as a back-up/audio station. I do a lot of vinyl/cassette ripping and an extra machine to just use for audio would be great. I have a Powercenter 132 that I plan to use for that purpose when I buy a G4 (soon...soon).

You can also use it to do back-up, filing, SETI at home, etc.... There are tons of things to do with that computer, which is still a very capable machine.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Sep 14, 2000, 08:30 AM

I second the CD-burner idea. Even if you buy a cheap 2X burner, you'll always have your other machine free when you are burning CDs.

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Forum Links
Forum Rules