Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is Mac-only worth it?

Is Mac-only worth it?
g4-guy
Nov 8, 2000, 03:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I am interested in knowing if you think one could make a decent amount off of Mac-only games. It seems like such a hassle to write for both platforms... i'd like to just forget Windows and write Mac-only games.

Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD
Combo Drive, Airport Card

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2000, 06:02 PM

Pangea Software seems to think so. They've been doing pretty well for themselves. But I think I might also recall something from a while back about them branching out and doing PC releases too. In any case, I assume they will continue to be Mac-first for a while...
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2000, 07:48 PM

Let's not forget our friends at Ambrosia Software

They DO NOT DO WINDOWS!!!

Check'em out here:
http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com

------------------
PC's are popular... MAC's Rule!
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

MezzanineKid
Banned
Nov 8, 2000, 08:07 PM

One way to look it it will be like this: If you make a GREAT mac only game, every mac owner will purchase it. Why? We dont have a big of selection as PC people, and if its completely sweet, we can braga bout it to PC people.

Ca$h

PS: However, if you are GAY and just port a PC game and TAKE A F-ING YEAR TO DO IT and release it WHEN THE SEQUEL IS ALREADY OUT, you deserve to be sodomized by a pushbroom.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2000, 08:22 PM

What the HELL is a pushbroom?

Is it a normal broom? Or some kind of specialized sodomizing broom? 'Cause if it's the latter, I just might have to moderate that, Ca$h =)
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

g4-guy  (op)
Nov 9, 2000, 01:13 AM

Hello everyone,

How could I forget Pangea and Ambrosia? They ROCK!!!

Just wait until I get a copy of RealBasic and some good plug-ins (have you seen Essence Software? oh my...). I've got some good ideas...

My PC friends will drool for sure!

------------------
Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD

Phaedrus
Nov 9, 2000, 03:14 AM

And there's Bias, who make Peak sound editing software (Mac only). Their products are very highly regarded in music circles.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Phaedrus (edited 11-09-2000).]

MezzanineKid
Banned
Nov 9, 2000, 02:14 PM

ya know...pushbrooms! What the janitors use...the big furry looking ones? If brooms were dogs, the pushbroom would be a big fuzzy sheepdog.

Anyway. HEY DRIVER PORTERS! EMAIL ME FOR A PICTURE OF WHAT RICHARD SIMMONS IS GONNA DO TO YOU!!!

Ca$h

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2000, 05:00 PM

Hey you guys, have you all forgotten Bungie already. They may program for multiple platforms now, but they started with Mac-only games and made their living that way for at least 2-3 years. Remember Marathon.

I'd say as long as you've got good games and a small staff, you should be able to make it.

Another example is the porting company Westlake. Yes, they don't exactly make games, but they make a living porting other people's games to the Mac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Ruddigger
Senior User
Nov 9, 2000, 05:44 PM

Bungie, I think I remember them... What games did they make again? I seem to have misplaced my memory, maybe I sold it to Microsoft...

I refuse to play any of my Bungie games, and I have them all. I mourned after they broke the news. And, even though I was looking forward to Halo and Oni, forget it. I won't buy them.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

g4-guy  (op)
Nov 10, 2000, 12:10 PM

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much! You've got me goin' now!

I thought of another one: Aspyr. They don't actually write the games, but I believe that publish a number of popular Mac titles. I browsed their web site, and I couldn't find any Windows stuff on there.

------------------
Regards,
g4-guy
PowerBook G4/800
Mac OS X 10.2.8
512MB RAM/40GB HD

Chris Golding
Nov 11, 2000, 01:56 AM

Ruddiger:
I think you are taking the Bungie thing way too personally. NUMBER ONE, Oni is NOT going to be published by MS/Bungie, it is owned completely by Take Two and will be published by GODGames.

TWO, Peter Tamte has vowed to get a SIGNIFICANT chunk of even non-Bungie Microsoft games as part of his independant publishing initiative, and he hasn't let the Mac entertainment industry down yet. Give it a chance--if anything, while many people will be enjoying Halo or other MS games on the Mac, there will still be other games for anti-MS people to play on Macs, but you may find you are only cheating yourself.

Time will tell,
Chris

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2000, 10:06 AM

Battlegirl is fun, and frequently forgotten. Hopefully people will buy it based on this vote of confidence.

Candy Crisis is less frequently forgotten, but doesn't seem to be mentioned much.

And aside from Ambrosia and Pangea, there's Freeverse. Don�t forget them!

I had to look through my games folder to remind myself of the Mac-only games I own. OK, so the above are mostly straight forward games, but they have outlived Deus Ex, Starcraft and Wing Commander IV on my computer.

[This message has been edited by cc_foo (edited 11-11-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules