Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! iMac DV install System software question?

Help! iMac DV install System software question?
MacBoy4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2002, 11:19 PM

Has anyone tried to install iMac DV OS 9.1 or 9.2 system software from install CD's that are from another iMac DV.
I have a iMac DV 400 slot-loading, OS 8.6, Mac Rom 2.3.1
I can buy OS9 CD's NEW from another iMac DV but it is newer than mine. My question is, has anyone tried this and if so what was the results. I ask because I have heard and read that some feel that each computer (iMacs) have their own version of system software and they can not load onto another.
Can you all please clear this up for me.

Cheers!
Mac

iMac DV 400 slot-loading
OS 8.6
Rom 2.3.1

DBursey
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2002, 01:00 PM

I have done that which you describe. You should have no problems, other than having to download the occasional driver or software/firmware update from the internet.

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by MacBoy4:
Has anyone tried to install iMac DV OS 9.1 or 9.2 system software from install CD's that are from another iMac DV.
I have a iMac DV 400 slot-loading, OS 8.6, Mac Rom 2.3.1
I can buy OS9 CD's NEW from another iMac DV but it is newer than mine. My question is, has anyone tried this and if so what was the results. I ask because I have heard and read that some feel that each computer (iMacs) have their own version of system software and they can not load onto another.
Can you all please clear this up for me.

Cheers!
Mac

iMac DV 400 slot-loading
OS 8.6
Rom 2.3.1

Some OS 9 and before install cds have in the past been limited for use in specific **models** (say, Imac 233, or Power Mac 6100, and so forth) but installing using another Imac dv's cds, is not a problem.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules