Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Serious Security Flaw in Mac OS X/Safari/Help Viewer

Serious Security Flaw in Mac OS X/Safari/Help Viewer (Page 13)
jdb8167
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
It would be better if they showed the entire path, though. You could still call your malware application "Safari" and put it in a disk image named "Applications" and it would look like it was just going to open with Safari in your Applications folder...
Yeah, but I'm going to recomend to people that if they see the dialog, always hit cancel. No matter how enticing it seems. Then go to the application that was presented in the dialog box and run it by hand. Then go back to the web page that brought up the dialog. If the dialog is gone then it was legitimate, if it returns then it is malware and report it.

Seems like pretty easy instructions to me that can easily be followed by anyone, sophisticated user or not. This isn't going to come up much so it isn't like windows with those dialog boxes popping up constantly that no one reads. How often is something installed from the browser? I can't think of anything legitimate except plug-ins and most (all?) of the popular browser plug-ins are already represented by Safari anyway.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 08:00 PM

Looks to me like Apple got it right. As far as I can tell, this resolves all known vulnerabilities (but I'm not sure why they felt they needed to disable disk.

Here's a bit more about Paranoid Android and this fix from Apple. Executive Summary - you can ditch PA if you're using it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 09:35 PM

PA disabled and no problems encountered with 6/7 security update.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 08:52 AM

Hey...

SecurityFocus found another flaw.

There's only one problem... it's in a program running under a 13 year old operating system "Mac OS 7" (sic).

I can see those people now...
Researcher 1: "(grumble) Apple fixed that URI vulnerabilty too fast, and now we can't harp on how insecure their operating system is..."
Researcher 2: "I know! Let's report on a security bug running on System 7, only we'll call it Mac OS 7, and REALLY take the wind out of Apple's sails!"

Link to report

utidjian
Senior User
Jun 8, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Hey...

SecurityFocus found another flaw.

There's only one problem... it's in a program running under a 13 year old operating system "Mac OS 7" (sic).

I can see those people now...
Researcher 1: "(grumble) Apple fixed that URI vulnerabilty too fast, and now we can't harp on how insecure their operating system is..."
Researcher 2: "I know! Let's report on a security bug running on System 7, only we'll call it Mac OS 7, and REALLY take the wind out of Apple's sails!"

Link to report
Hah, yeah that one is pretty funny. I wonder how many people are still running PDP-11 systems.

Ooops... I meant this one.
-DU-...etc...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by jdb8167:
Yeah, but I'm going to recomend to people that if they see the dialog, always hit cancel. No matter how enticing it seems. Then go to the application that was presented in the dialog box and run it by hand. Then go back to the web page that brought up the dialog. If the dialog is gone then it was legitimate, if it returns then it is malware and report it.
Uh, are you saying you're going to instruct your users to press Cancel and then to double click the offending application by hand? In other words, you want the user to manually launch the questionable application, thereby bypassing any warnings from the OS? Am I misreading your post, or are you smoking something?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Uh, are you saying you're going to instruct your users to press Cancel and then to double click the offending application by hand? In other words, you want the user to manually launch the questionable application, thereby bypassing any warnings from the OS? Am I misreading your post, or are you smoking something?
I think he means he is doing this in order to protect against a malware application getting launched that has the same name as a legitimate application, causing you to think you're launching something other than what you really are launching. Under his method, if a URL is going to launch an app that is called "Fetch", the user will go into /Applications and launch the real Fetch manually.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by utidjian:
Hah, yeah that one is pretty funny. I wonder how many people are still running PDP-11 systems.

Ooops... I meant this one.
I love the line on that page:

"[Editor's note: 7th Edition UNIX is a rather old version of UNIX.]"

lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules