Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Can you get a Mini to drive a 30" Cinema?

Can you get a Mini to drive a 30" Cinema?
tridentinecanon
Mar 23, 2008, 11:58 PM

I'm in the market for a desktop to watch movies (VIDEO_TS folders) on a 30" Cinema. Is it possible get a Mini to drive a 30" Cinema? What are the basic steps involved? Is it even worth it, or should I just splurge for the Pro? I really want to conserve space as I'm already having to store two RAID "towers." I've got limited experience with hardware hacks, but I thin I'd feel comfortable doing this if given a good set of instructions.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 12:30 PM

It's integrated graphics, you'd have to hack at the logic board for anything different, but I'm pretty sure it wont work (well done to those who have done it - if anyone). You'd have more chance bricking the mac mini than being able to do anything to improve the graphics.

My suggestion: Mac pro (if budget can cope), G5 tower maybe?
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

tridentinecanon  (op)
Mar 24, 2008, 02:33 PM

I was thinking about the Pro, but then I realized that a 15" MBP could do the same thing I want for a lot less money, even though the lid would always stay closed, as I would have little use for the 15" screen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 02:46 PM

No, the graphics card in the Mac mini doesn't support dual link DVI, which is required for resolutions over 1920x1200 at decent refresh rates and the ACD doesn't support scaling. One option would be to buy a lower resolution (1920x1080) 30" LCD TV if the mini is the only computer you're going to connect to the display or a different brand of 30" LCD (such as Dell) that includes the hardware to support scaling up from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 if you'll be connecting other computers in addition to the mini.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 01:25 AM

The TV idea is the best I'd say. But another option would be to try and find a deal on a 15" MacBook Pro with a cracked LCD. Close the lid and now it's a thinner, wider mac mini :-)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 02:06 PM

If you connect the 30" to a single-link DVI port on a tower, it just displays at lower res. Would a Mac Mini not do the same? You aren't likely to use the full res for TV or video any time soon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 07:11 PM

I'm sure the mini would do the lower res. But I still way an actual HD TV hooked up via HDMI is probably the best way to go.

tridentinecanon  (op)
Apr 20, 2008, 07:15 PM

Well thanks for all the replies.

I splurged and got a new MP.

I was more interested in seeing if there was a way to hookup a more powerful vid card to the mini... but there doesn't seem to be an (easy) way. I need to be able to max-out the res for other activities than just watching movies.

I'm happy with my new Pro. It's a bit easier to deal with when it comes time to open the case.

cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2008, 06:05 PM

google lifehacker: hackintosh. buils one of those and you are good to go. you don't seem to need the power of a MP so i wouldn't even consider it, but you need decent pcu power and dedicated graphics.

but think twice with the 30" cinema bro. it's not a very good monitor at all. until they revise them. the only thing it has going for it is looks and its HD, but you can get that for a lot less. I mean come on....14ms response time. it doesn't meet todays standard.

and while we are talking about what you "need' what do you need a 30" WS for? You can get a good 24" WS for $450-$500.

I run dual acer 22" ws, but i'm getting dual 30" WS in a month running on dual 8800GT. I NEED the space because of the work i do. I COULD live without it, but for the price of free 2008 dell 30" monitors it will make working soooo much easier; video editing, web design; software programming; graphics art/editing.

EDIT
CONGRATS ON THE MP! I odn't know what toyu do but it seemed you didn't need the power, but if you didn't then you have just full proofed yourself for about 4-5 years. Even if you decide to run windows full-time....you can in bootcamp and run mac as your secondary. To me when you sit down and think educated...the mac pro is the best thing to go with at the moment. And this is coming from someone who's been building their own system since they were 11 yrs old (im 23 now). I couldn't build my own system cheaper....
( Last edited by cnlevo; Apr 24, 2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: I did't read....)

tridentinecanon  (op)
Apr 25, 2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by cnlevo View Post
google lifehacker: hackintosh. buils one of those and you are good to go. you don't seem to need the power of a MP so i wouldn't even consider it, but you need decent pcu power and dedicated graphics.

but think twice with the 30" cinema bro. it's not a very good monitor at all. until they revise them. the only thing it has going for it is looks and its HD, but you can get that for a lot less. I mean come on....14ms response time. it doesn't meet todays standard.

and while we are talking about what you "need' what do you need a 30" WS for? You can get a good 24" WS for $450-$500.

I run dual acer 22" ws, but i'm getting dual 30" WS in a month running on dual 8800GT. I NEED the space because of the work i do. I COULD live without it, but for the price of free 2008 dell 30" monitors it will make working soooo much easier; video editing, web design; software programming; graphics art/editing.

EDIT
CONGRATS ON THE MP! I odn't know what toyu do but it seemed you didn't need the power, but if you didn't then you have just full proofed yourself for about 4-5 years. Even if you decide to run windows full-time....you can in bootcamp and run mac as your secondary. To me when you sit down and think educated...the mac pro is the best thing to go with at the moment. And this is coming from someone who's been building their own system since they were 11 yrs old (im 23 now). I couldn't build my own system cheaper....
Thanks. I'm very happy with my MP purchase.

In regards to your inquiry regarding my "need" for a 30" WS and why I prefer the ACD... let's start with a couple of questions: If I buy any other screen when I buy my Apple computer, does my Apple warranty apply to the display? Are there any comparable 30" displays that will look decent mounted to my living room wall-- or, rather, that my wife will consider decent? I've always had a bias for screen real estate over any other other computer feature. My family's talents, our interests, and my job demand a large, capable screen. The ACD does the trick and I'm willing to pay the premium for the aforementioned reasons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules