Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dialup connect w/ mobile phone and PB

Dialup connect w/ mobile phone and PB
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 01:15 AM

Okay, I'll be ordering a bran spanking new 15" powerbook tomorrow. I got a motorola v600 mobile phone at the end of the school year when we went to a GSM/GPRS family plan (ATnT). Anyway, I know you can do GPRS internet service but the price is kinda high... like 80/month for unlimited download/upload usage. However, I'm unclear if this is the same thing as me getting a cheep dialup account and just using my phone w/ my PB as a dial up connection. I could definitely afford $15/month for dialup as I have free nights starting at 7pm and I would likely only use it after that at school. Is this possible, or do I need the pricy GPRS data plan to do any kind of internet via my phone? It just seems like the GPRS is different than dialup because for GPRS ATnT would be my ISP while in the senerio I'm thinking of I would have some local internet company be my ISP and would only use my phone to dial in/connect???

So what's what?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 12:17 AM

Okay forget about it guys I got it answered on the ATnT forums. Turns out ATnT has disabled data sending from the normal phone. You can only use GPRS or their new EDGE service. It runs like 80/month for unlimited plans, and the limited plans are crazy expensive for like 50mb of bandwidth!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Okay forget about it guys I got it answered on the ATnT forums. Turns out ATnT has disabled data sending from the normal phone. You can only use GPRS or their new EDGE service. It runs like 80/month for unlimited plans, and the limited plans are crazy expensive for like 50mb of bandwidth!
I'm not sure that's correct. You could probably use an old-fashioned acousto-coupler to turn your cell phone into a modem, but you'd still get lousy data rates.

AT&T EDGE is indeed priced for business people. What does a school kid need GPRS for anyway?

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 01:18 AM

See that's the thing. I don't need EDGE service. I just figured since my parents just went from the older band phones to GSM/GPRS phones and mine has bluetooth right on it it would be sweet if I could use it for data transfer (as you can with a lot of phone companies with your normal minutes). I don't need the 80/month EDGE service or speeds. Still I tend to do a lot of work in places with no net connections (dinners and the like). I would love to have a net connection so that if I needed something I could just pop online. Pluss I like to get out of my dorm (that's why I'm getting a PB).

I'm just kinda pissed because I know there are/were a few companies who allowed you to do data transfer (even at the slooooow speeds) via your normal plan usually for a premium of only 5-15/month. For me that price is definitely worth it even if I just check my email with it. Also, it's nice to be able to surf in class... god knows I don't pay attention anyway in most of them... still manage to get 4.0s but it's because I learn better on my own reading the text...

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 02:07 AM

Does anyone know a way to access the net via Cingular/Sony T637 and a PowerBook G4?

ApertureFoto
Jul 11, 2004, 08:15 PM

ditto on the t637 and PB....

I tried using the bluetooth connect with mine and as soon as it would say connecting on my phone it would automatically kill the call on the phone ????

any info/help would be appreciated

kris

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 11:35 AM

Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...Cingular/BT/SET637 + PB?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...Cingular/BT/SET637 + PB?
Sorry, I'm on AT&T GPRS.

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2004, 02:08 AM

Same here AT&T GSM/GPRS
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules