Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New digital rebel camera.. how long until iPhoto compatibility?

New digital rebel camera.. how long until iPhoto compatibility?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 02:25 PM

Just got the new canon digital rebel camera. Its a great camera, but the problem is iPhoto doesn't recognize it.

Am I at the mercy of waiting until Apple updates iPhoto? Is there any way to get the current iPhoto work with my new camera? I really don't want to buy a card reader, but it looks like I may have to.

thanks,

lw

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 02:30 PM

I'm surprised it doesn't recognize it. I don't know why you don't want a card reader, but once you get one, you'll never look back. They're much more convenient and they don't suck your batteries dry.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 03:01 PM

I agree. Card readers are great and aren't that expensive. I have the dazzle 6 in 1 reader and it works great. It is especially cool if someone comes over and needs to get stuff on a memory stick or something. And iPhoto will recognize no problem.

-b

JVB_2112
Sep 18, 2003, 10:23 PM

Change the communication option from normal to PTP, it's one of the setup options on the camera. I'm having no problems with my Digital Rebel working with iPhoto.

Regards,

JVB
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 11:09 PM

^He is correct: PTP's where it's at.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by JVB_2112:
Change the communication option from normal to PTP, it's one of the setup options on the camera. I'm having no problems with my Digital Rebel working with iPhoto.

Regards,

JVB
Thanks! Works great now!

lw

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2003, 12:32 PM

I have a SanDisk USB 2.0 6-in-1 card reader that iPhoto recognizes instantly. I also agree that a card reader is the way to go.

tooki

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 03:37 PM

Now that you guys have had the digital rebel for a couple of months, what's your verdict? Is it all that and a bag of chips(TM)? What are your opinions on the lens if you bought the kit?

SummitWynds
Nov 22, 2003, 11:36 AM

I bought a Canon digital Rebel a couple weeks ago. Love it. Looking at getting an EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM Lens. Anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 05:55 PM

glad to hear you like the camera. I'm an EOS 10D user myself and have been into photography for years.

How much are you looking to spend on a lens? I do not personally recommend that lens, as far as sharpness and colour go it is at the low end in terms of quality. The Canon 75-300 is a much better choice.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

Check out the Canon SLR Lens Forum at http://www.dpreview.com

SummitWynds
Nov 22, 2003, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the great info. I was thinking in the $200 range. I figure any lens is better than no lens. Obviously, I am just looking for something to get started with. Ease of use is a must. Would this be the lens you say is better? Canon EF 75-300MM F/4-5.6, I see this is also in the $200 range. Will check out the url you posted. Thank you.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 06:32 PM

Well, I took the plunge and picked up the Digital Rebel kit. What an awesome camera this is! I also picked up the Canon 75 - 300 mm lens for just over $200. I did some shooting with it today and I'm definitely liking this lens.

ulmer
Nov 22, 2003, 10:04 PM

I have the 75-300mm USM Canon lens and it works well for the price. I too would recommend it over the 55-200. Sigma also make a pretty decent 70-300 lens. Autofocus is slower but lens quality is considered better by many. The APO version is apparently the way to go.

-Brian

JVB_2112
Nov 23, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by ulmer:
I have the 75-300mm USM Canon lens and it works well for the price. I too would recommend it over the 55-200. Sigma also make a pretty decent 70-300 lens. Autofocus is slower but lens quality is considered better by many. The APO version is apparently the way to go.

-Brian
I use the Sigma 70-300mm APO lens with my Digital Rebel. I love it, takes great macro shots and lens quality is excellent for the money. Unless your going to go with the Canon 75-300mm stablizing lens, I'd go with the Sigma.

If you haven't already, check out the Digital Rebel forum over at dpreview.com: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031

JVB
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 03:46 PM

Oops I forgot about that Sigma. It's a hidden gem in my opinion, great bang for the buck. Take your digital rebel to a store and take a few pics with both lenses, you'll be impressed.

I'm currently saving up for either a Sigma 20/1.8 or a Canon 17-40/F4 L, depend on whether I have a job or not when I buy it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules