Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Impressed with Apple service! Spots gone...

Impressed with Apple service! Spots gone...
ulmer
Dec 12, 2003, 03:27 PM

I mailed my 15" Al off to get the screen replaced Wednesday and it's already back today. VA to TX to VA in two days including the repair is not to shabby. My screen is free of white spots and has no bad pixels now. They also replaced my combo drive which was intermittently acting up. Everything looks good so if you've been waiting to send yours in, the turn around time seems great...

-Brian

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 04:04 PM

Good to hear.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 06:25 PM

That's awesome to hear! Was it a repair or a replace I wonder, though? I wonder where those spots come from. Aren't they just like Samsung or Sony LCDs under the case? Why are the spots only happening in the PowerBooks?

I guess I haven't been following the issue too much, so I might have missed this... but can someone fill me in since we're on the subject?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 12:56 AM

That's good! I've definitely got a white spot in mine, guess I'll have to be packing it off soon!

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 01:07 AM

Fas turn around, but I had more problems afte the screen was fixed. Took another repair to fix the keyboard, and now I have a uneven gap around the closed lcd, and the case bottom has some warping in the alum. I also have new constant ticking noise from the top left cooling fan.

I give up at this point, and am trying to enjoy the computer.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by s4iscool:
Fas turn around, but I had more problems afte the screen was fixed. Took another repair to fix the keyboard, and now I have a uneven gap around the closed lcd, and the case bottom has some warping in the alum. I also have new constant ticking noise from the top left cooling fan.

I give up at this point, and am trying to enjoy the computer.
Do repairs such as these fall exclusively under the AppleCare plans, or are they part of the product warrantee? I'm looking to order a 15" soon, and god forbid...

Thanks.

cvbcvb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 04:25 AM

I too sent out my Powerbook 15.2" aluminum to Texas on Wednesday. 3 very, very faint white spots had reared their ugly head.

The Powerbook came back today (Friday) with a new screen. Part is listed as:

DSPL, 15.2, XGA, PB 15", Samsung W5

Spot free (and I hope for good...).

CVB

Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 04:31 AM

i have replaced my screen before and in a week the white spots were back

can you tell if they come back in a week, or no?? please

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 06:41 PM

I just took my PowerBook to an authorized service center and got a new Samsung LCD installed.

Let's see if the white spots show up with a screen that didn't get knocked around during shipping.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 10:21 PM

new samsung lcd's seem to have the problem fixed and local repair centers can order this screen and do the replacement in house now.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

ulmer  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 12:37 AM

Mine was a screen replacement with the Samsung screen under regular 1 year warranty. I don't have the additional 3 yr applecare. I'll report back if the spots come back!

-Brian

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 10:39 AM

I don't know what the turn around in LCD repairs is for your neck of the woods, but here in Japan, the wait was 48 hours.

I had white spots on my screen. When I called Apple Japan Applecare, they were very helpful. They said it was a known problem and that they would fix it, but I should wait until screens become availible in large numbers. They called me 2 weeks later and said they could fix it now. I sent it in on Friday afternoon and it was returned Sunday morning.

The white spots are gone and the screen looks great... mostly. I say mostly because I know have a dead pixel. I realize that 1 dead/stuck pixel is well within industry standards for acceptable screens - however, it kinda bothers me because I sent in a computer with NO dead or stuck pixels and now I get it back with a dead pixel. That sucks
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

nick_coday
Dec 15, 2003, 12:01 AM

Happy to hear the turnaround was fast.

I shipped mine off on Friday. Hoping to maybe have it back by Friday.

I am in Oregon, so will probably take longer!!

**thumbs crossed**
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules