Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Crucial Vs. OWC RAM

Crucial Vs. OWC RAM
windows_sucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2006, 04:59 PM

Yes, I am officially a mac owner now....I just placed an order for a Dual 2.66Ghz with a 500Gig HD, ATI Radeon x1900T, 2 Gigs of RAM...However, i need 2 additional Gigs of ram....

Between Crucial and OWC, who has a more reliable product when it comes to RAM? OWC is selling 2 x 1Gb chip for $476 while Crucial is selling 2 x 1Gb for $499.00...I don't mind the extra 25 bucks if I can get a better quality product?

Need Input...Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2006, 05:06 PM

Crucial sells regular FB DIMMs and the ones with the larger heat sinks certified specifically for the MP. I would go with Crucial over OWC most every time, but if the Crucial ones you're looking at are not the MP certified ones I'd consider OWC. MPs can use the regular FB DIMMs, but there is some slow down due to downclocking of the RAM, and some have reported problems using the regular ones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Macintosh Sauce
Oct 20, 2006, 09:30 PM

I would also recommend Crucial. The memory chips are made by Micron - Crucial's parent company - right here in the USA. The quality is excellent as well IMHO. I have bought Crucial memory for years and have never had a problem at all. Crucial also offers a lifetime warranty on their memory modules - something very important to consider.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2006, 10:02 PM

Oh man, given that choice, it'd be Crucial in a heartbeat. Crucial is one of the top memory manufacturers in the world. OWC, they don't have a reputation for RAM, so who knows if that would be any good at all.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 02:36 AM

I've had good experiences with OWC personally.

iMacfan
Senior User
Oct 21, 2006, 05:23 AM

Like others have said, if the Crucial is with the proper heatsinks, get them for the little amount more. My Mac Pro shipped with Micron (Crucial's parent company) FB-DIMMs.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 07:38 AM

Another vote for Crucial. Great company, high quality memory and very responsive.
Michael

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2006, 09:18 AM

I buy a lot of RAM from Crucial, but I've also purchased tons from OWC. Never had any problems with OWC products, and when I have had to return a product (wasn't what I wanted, etc), they've always been very helpful. OWC is an honest company. They get my vote.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 02:16 PM

Crucial

windows_sucks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 05:19 PM

I guess there are mixed reactions to this...with Crucial..I know they had a problem earlier with their Memory chips when Mac Pro came out in August..but then again I know Crucial is a reputated brand name....You know if Kingston is still making memory for the Mac Pro..None the less I am just going to ask Crucial about the Heat Sinks on the ram..

adamda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 08:20 PM

OWC. Never used Crucial, but I trust OWC - RAM I've ordered from them has been flawless.

MKJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 09:48 PM

Purchased memory from OWC without any problems. They only sell stuff for Macs so they make sure it compatible. I had one 512mb module fail on my 15" PB after 2yrs in service and they replaced it with no questions asked. They even send you a mailing label for the return.

And for the MacPro they have the cool red heat sinks.

OWC definitely will get my $$ when I need more memory for my MP.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2006, 01:23 AM

Crucial (I've already voted with my wallet).

windows_sucks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 07:19 AM

I went with Ram from OWC!

meatyocre
Oct 24, 2006, 09:56 AM

From the heavy hitters posting here I will go with Crucial. Thanks

awcopus
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 11:42 AM

OWC and RAMJET and CRUCIAL are terrific vendors. They will all replace your RAM for free if there are any problems with it. So, I would go for the best price from one of these vendors. Can't go wrong, so save a little money.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 01:02 PM

Have you looked at the other more comprehensive Mac Pro RAM thread here [http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac...here-to-buy/]? Lots of available options...

andydg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:04 AM

One thing to check if buying from Crucial is their price. I keep getting different prices when checking at home and at work. Same ram, within 30 minutes, price is $20 different consistantly.
I've purchased from both Crucial and OWC. Neither have ever been a problem.

niko
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 09:07 AM

I've got 2GB of Crucial memory in my 3GHz Mac Pro

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
...OWC, they don't have a reputation for RAM, so who knows if that would be any good at all.
OWC has an excellent reputation for RAM. I have had excellent service from them for years and they have always been favorably mentioned on the Photoshop forums. IMO the difference is price since they both vary (seems like Crucial prices are more volatile).

-Allen Wicks

Markintosh_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 04:35 PM

I got 2 Gb (2x1GB) for my MacPro 2.66 from OWC - working great. Delivery to Canada took 2 days!!! Great service.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2006, 06:58 PM

Same thing here. Got it from OWC, $75 cheaper, works fine (ran stress tests on it).

Hardcoder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 10:32 PM

hey, about to order my mac pro TONIGHT! (yeah, baby...)

so with these FBDIMMs, they remain nice and cool, right? they don't kick the fan up?

I will be using my Mac Pro for audio purposes, keeping it quiet is a big plus for me.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 10:48 AM

Crucial. No one has a better reputation.

Cant' stand OWC plus you never know if/when they will go out of business which would make a lifetime warranty on RAM pretty useless.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 01:48 PM

Crucial recently raise their price for the Mac Pro ram, OWC is still the same price.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2006, 11:27 AM

OWC now has three types of "Apple Certified" MacPro memory:
  1. Netlist
  2. OWC
  3. Techworks
I remember back in the System Profiler that was part of 10.1 (I think, may be 10.2) the memory was listed as 2-2-2- or whatever. Some of the memory within my Sawtooth was labelled "Not as fast." This feature was removed in subsequent releases but it makes me wonder which memory is fastest for my Mac Pro (Netlist, OWC, Techworks, or Crucial). Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 10:22 PM

I just received my Netlist memory from OWC. I went with them since they used the same memory Apple uses so I felt safer, and Crucial's prices increased >$100. XBench reports a speed increase in memory test from 111 to 138.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 08:54 AM

many GB and my vote goes to Crucial.
arrives the next day in Portugal

votoms888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Markintosh_X View Post
I got 2 Gb (2x1GB) for my MacPro 2.66 from OWC - working great. Delivery to Canada took 2 days!!! Great service.
What method of shipment did you choose? I am in Canada too and I want to order Ram from them. Did you pay duties or tax? I lean more towards asking them to send via USPS. Fedex and USPS always tack on brokerage fees.

Bryan

votoms888
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 09:26 PM

I want to upgrade the Ram in my iMac 2.16. I have looked at both OWC and Crucial. The price difference is almost $120usd. 2Gb(2X1Gb) is $356 vs. $239. Is Crucial worth the extra money? for $120usd I can get another 1GB for my Quicksilver.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by votoms888 View Post
I want to upgrade the Ram in my iMac 2.16. I have looked at both OWC and Crucial. The price difference is almost $120usd. 2Gb(2X1Gb) is $356 vs. $239. Is Crucial worth the extra money? for $120usd I can get another 1GB for my Quicksilver.
I have OWC memory for my Mac Pro and it has worked just fine for me. Im not really sure why there are such big price differences in manufacturers. Maybe its because OWC simply gets its parts made cheaper or maybe crucial charges more for the name. If either of these are indeed the case I still think OWC is a fine reliable product, and im sure lots of professional and novice users alike would agree.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 12:05 AM

The reason for the price difference is that Crucial tests their RAM more than the other manufacturers and doesn't sell the RAM that fails their tests. That costs money, but it means that with the cheap RAM, you might get a good module... or you may not. With a name-brand like Crucial, it's less likely that you'll get a bad one.

This is also why it's meaningless when people post "I got cheap RAM, and it worked for me." No one said that all cheap RAM is going to be defective. It's just that because less testing is involved, there's a higher chance that some defective RAM could get through.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 01:11 AM

Apple does not offer 2x1GB dimms from their website? How would I be able to order them via Apple when i purchase a macpro? The only option for 2GB ram is 4x512...any idea?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by nspire View Post
Apple does not offer 2x1GB dimms from their website? How would I be able to order them via Apple when i purchase a macpro? The only option for 2GB ram is 4x512...any idea?
You can't, and I'm sure they'd charge a ridiculous amount for them if you could.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:38 AM

The reason for the price difference is that Crucial tests their RAM more than the other manufacturers and doesn't sell the RAM that fails their tests. That costs money, but it means that with the cheap RAM, you might get a good module... or you may not. With a name-brand like Crucial, it's less likely that you'll get a bad one.

This is also why it's meaningless when people post "I got cheap RAM, and it worked for me." No one said that all cheap RAM is going to be defective. It's just that because less testing is involved, there's a higher chance that some defective RAM could get through.
I've been using OWC for 2 weeks and everything work perfectly for my Mac Pro. OWC Memory is Backed by a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee and a Lifetime Advance Replacement.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2007, 12:24 PM

The reason for the price difference is that Crucial tests their RAM more than the other manufacturers and doesn't sell the RAM that fails their tests.

You are implying other manufacturers would sell RAM that doesn't pass their testing which is ludicrous. I have bought RAM from several companies without issues. I think with today's much improved quality control, that there isn't much difference from Crucial or OWC memory other than peace of mind of having the Crucial brand name.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2007, 05:10 PM

Interesting, that does make sense. But even if OWC doesnt have the extensive testing of Crucial, I still think OWC sells a reliable product.

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You can't, and I'm sure they'd charge a ridiculous amount for them if you could.
hmmm, that's weird...so best option would be to get 1gb from apple and buy another 3gb from crucial/other brand?
cuz from what i've been reading on other posts, many people have 4x1gb dimms...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
You are implying other manufacturers would sell RAM that doesn't pass their testing which is ludicrous.
Having purchased PNY memory in the past, I wouldn't just imply it, I'd scream it.
Actually, I can't be sure it failed their testing; I'm not certain they tested it.

hmmm, that's weird...so best option would be to get 1gb from apple and buy another 3gb from crucial/other brand?
Yes, that's the cheapest way.
Apple is happy to sell you 4x1GB. Your original post asked about buying 2x1GB from Apple, which they won't do.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 12:20 PM

I'm not sure how sensitive FB-DIMMS (or any memory) is to ESD or how fragile they are, but I'd bet all memory passes testing. Now I'm curious if different forms of testing could have different results (like using a Fireberd 6000 to test data circuits via 2047 pattern vs Fox vs 1-0 pattern, etc.).

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 10:51 PM

Having purchased PNY memory in the past, I wouldn't just imply it, I'd scream it.
Actually, I can't be sure it failed their testing; I'm not certain they tested it.

Yes, that's the cheapest way.
Apple is happy to sell you 4x1GB. Your original post asked about buying 2x1GB from Apple, which they won't do.
Right on
Now all there is left is an updated MacPro with new vid cards, and I will be good to go!!

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 08:03 AM

Getting the extra RAM from a 3rd party is a good idea (I went with Crucial for 2x2GB), but it isn't possible to add 3GB to the Mac Pro since no-one makes 1.5GB FB-DIMMs.

You could add 2 additional GBs to get to 3GB total, but not get to 4GB without binning your original RAM.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2007, 02:05 PM

I buy all my Mac upgrades, including memory, from OWC. Great company, great people. Period.

--Chris

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
Getting the extra RAM from a 3rd party is a good idea (I went with Crucial for 2x2GB), but it isn't possible to add 3GB to the Mac Pro since no-one makes 1.5GB FB-DIMMs.

You could add 2 additional GBs to get to 3GB total, but not get to 4GB without binning your original RAM.
Thanks for your reply. However, I have absolutely no idea what binning means!
------------------------------------------------------------------
G4 400Mhz | QuadCore PC Workstation
MBP Coming Soon!
------------------------------------------------------------------

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 11:25 PM

Actually, you can buy 2x 1GB DIMM's for the MacPro on Apple's site. Here's the link: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...?nclm=279CD75F

Not cheap though at $700!

Forum Links
Forum Rules