Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Who's buying right after MacWorld...?

Who's buying right after MacWorld...? (Page 2)
arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
Well my allocation for a new macpro just went towards a new thickness planer and jointer for my shop. Sorry Steve (like this hurts him). I'll have to fill the coffers again for a spring purchase.

This Macworld reminds me of the scene from Christmas Vacation where Clark is expecting his annual bonus and just gets a gift for "Jelly of the Month Club." I think we need to send Cousin Eddie over to Steve's house.
hahaha

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 03:09 PM

I ended up giving in last night. I should have my Mac pro in about a week. I should have it paid off by the time iPhone comes out. Will my wallet ever get a chance to breath?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer View Post
Built a monster 2.66 a month ago, so glad I did before years end for tax reasons, wicked quick and no revision envy.
'
I think I have this upgrade stuff down pat..:-)
The tax implications are one reason why I'm especially miffed there were no upgrades.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Nope, those would be second user, not refurb. Refurb applies to returns and repaired systems only. All AOU (Apple Own Use) hardware comes -from- the refurb pile, not -to- it (at least not without the Openheimer sign-off).
I highly doubt that. Every 3.0 GHz Mac Pro that blows up must be configured with 2 GB RAM and a 1900XT video card because that is the only way they are configured. Far more likely that Apple is clearing out labs and releasing these machines as refurbished than to lose more money by selling them as second tier (used).

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The 15-30% (and sometimes 40%) savings on a refurb Mac can easily be close to a grand. As much as most of us would like to have that kind of cash to throw in "just for a new machine", we can get a much better machine by taking one that Apple fixed.
Ahhh I see. I didn't know it was that great of a discount! That's well worth it.
------------------------------------------------------------------
G4 400Mhz | QuadCore PC Workstation
MBP Coming Soon!

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2007, 07:50 AM

I seem to have gotten some luck. My new refurbished 3.0 GHz Mac Pro was delivered four days earlier than expected. I expected this mac to have 2 GB RAM but it has 4 GB of RAM (4x1GB sticks). I also expected it to have a 250 GB HDD but it has a 500 GB HDD. It did have the 1900XT video card. Not too bad for $3299.

I installed a 7300GT card to drive more displays for work and I installed the WD500 GB HDD I had purchased to run with this machine as well as an extra DVD drive I had laying around. I then loaded up windows XP and installed Neverwinter Nights 2 (plays without a hitch).

I've got to figure out how the parallels thing works so I can fire up the windows application I need for work along side the MAC OS though.

Overall, I'm pretty happy.

BTW, the machine once had all four drive bays used and it has clear tape on the whole access cover to keep it from being scratched like it was mounted side-by-side with another mac in a rack and used as a server.

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
I seem to have gotten some luck. My new refurbished 3.0 GHz Mac Pro was delivered four days earlier than expected. I expected this mac to have 2 GB RAM but it has 4 GB of RAM (4x1GB sticks). I also expected it to have a 250 GB HDD but it has a 500 GB HDD. It did have the 1900XT video card. Not too bad for $3299.

I installed a 7300GT card to drive more displays for work and I installed the WD500 GB HDD I had purchased to run with this machine as well as an extra DVD drive I had laying around. I then loaded up windows XP and installed Neverwinter Nights 2 (plays without a hitch).

I've got to figure out how the parallels thing works so I can fire up the windows application I need for work along side the MAC OS though.

Overall, I'm pretty happy.

BTW, the machine once had all four drive bays used and it has clear tape on the whole access cover to keep it from being scratched like it was mounted side-by-side with another mac in a rack and used as a server.

hehe nice! Are u in canada or the in the states? The .ca apple store doesnt list any refurbished mac pros, but the .com one has got one I believe!
I'm looking at buying one as well! see if I get a good deal on the refurbished ones
MBP Coming Soon!

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2007, 08:05 PM

I highly doubt that.
Highly doubt till the cows come home: employees don't get top of the line kit, but for -very- rare cases. ****, it took almost an act of God to get my 22 inch cinema display.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by nspire View Post
hehe nice! Are u in canada or the in the states? The .ca apple store doesnt list any refurbished mac pros, but the .com one has got one I believe!
I'm looking at buying one as well! see if I get a good deal on the refurbished ones
This was off of the dot com Apple Store in the deals section. Made my day.

All set up.

Captain Curt
Jan 18, 2007, 03:21 AM

I waited for MacWorld but had to settle for a Mac Pro 2.66 refurb. (What a computer! I am absolutely delighted with it.) My checking account is happier. Also, the iphone replaced the macbook as my next purchase. More cost savings. I may be the only mac fan alive that was happy with the mac no show at MacWorld.
( Last edited by Captain Curt; Jan 18, 2007 at 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling)
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
This was off of the dot com Apple Store in the deals section. Made my day.

All set up.

looks niiiiice
MBP Coming Soon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules