Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upcoming MPB

Upcoming MPB
nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 07:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking into getting a new Mac after WWDC. Initially I was planning on getting an entire Mac Pro rig w/ the new Cinema displays (the so-called upcoming ones ) but I'm still contemplating whether I should drop 5-6k or just 3.5k on a new Mac.
--
I mainly use it for graphics work; so commonly used apps include CS3/FCP/After Effects/etc.
What has your experience been with the current MPB's (core 2 duo)?
Are they relatively fast with large photoshop files (100MBs+)? \
Just a few insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks you!

-Fawad
------------------------------------------------------------------
G4 400Mhz | QuadCore PC Workstation
MBP Coming Soon!

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2007, 09:00 PM

The MBP's are very fast, but the mac pro is far faster, you shouldn't have issue with a MBP but the mac pro will be far faster in multi-tasking situations with multiple intensive apps open.

ibkc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 10:39 PM

My MBP with 2GB RAM deals with Photoshop files in the range up that I use , up to about 90MB max, just great. Opening, resizing etc is fast, filters are reasonably fast depending on what you're trying to do. I personally only occasionally work with anything over about 60MB but just as an informal test I resized one of my photos to 150MB and opened the Lens Correction filter and did a lot of ridiculous tweaking. Hit the button to process and it chewed away on it for a good long time, around three minutes or so. If I were going to be doing a lot of work with large files over 100MB I'd get the Mac Pro.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2007, 02:42 AM

There might be a price cut coming on mac pros because of the intel price cuts which are happening on june 22nd. The cost of quad core chips is about to get cheaper so you might have to spend less for a dual quad mac pro.

nspire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, appreciate it!
I have finally made up my mind
After attending the CS3:Coneference here in Toronto, I think it's best to go for a Mac Pro.
The new MBPs have better vid cards so I'm hoping to see that change in the MP next week.
Speed and Memory will play a big role when multi-tasking and the MBP just isn't enough.
G4 400Mhz | QuadCore PC Workstation
MBP Coming Soon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules