Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Does this make sense? Mail redirect stuff

Does this make sense? Mail redirect stuff
hart
Senior User
Sep 26, 2011, 11:12 AM

Sorry if this isn't a networking question.

So I have a client who wants her email stuff straightened out. She has a .mac account and a gmail account. According to her the .mac mail is redirected to the gmail account where the spam is filtered and then it's resent to the .mac account. She says someone set this up for her to avoid spam at her .mac account.

Does this sound reasonable? Would it be possible to create something like this without making an infinite loop? The "to" and "from" addresses in the emails are the same in both In boxes.

Is there some service or system that works like this? I'd like to know about it before I go back and talk to her.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 12:43 PM

Why not just use the Gmail account? You can either have .Mac forward to Gmail or have Gmail check the .Mac account. But you'd still get Gmail's superior spam filtering instead of .Mac's garbage.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2011, 12:50 PM

I'm actually trying to decipher why the email is going around in a circle. I don't think she actually knows.

But am I wrong in thinking it doesn't make sense to think the .Mac is redirected to the gmail AND the gmail is redirected to the .Mac? Or is there some sneaky technique I'm missing?

Thorzdad
Sep 26, 2011, 01:00 PM

It makes no sense. In order for the email to be forwarded to gmail, it has to first arrive in the user's .mac account. The .mac servers will have already filter for spam anyway. Forwarding it to gmail is redundant filtering. It sounds to me this was set-up by someone who thinks there's no spam filtering on the .mac side.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Sep 26, 2011, 01:18 PM

That's possible. In any case, she is reading her mail from .Mac using Mail which seems like it would be bypassing the gmail effect anyway. Her assistant checks in gmail online.

My assessment is that the whole thing doesn't really make sense. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a super-de-duper email genius thing happening that I was missing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2011, 01:58 PM

It doesn't sound reasonable.

I highly doubt that MobileMe is sophisticated enough to direct elsewhere only if spam X-headers aren't set, and even if it was this would be absolutely inadvisable anyway since those X-headers can be easily forged.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 03:14 PM

It would get stuck in an infinite loop like you said. Probably just some half assed IT guy who either didn't explain himself well or lied to charge her money.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The .mac servers will have already filter for spam anyway. Forwarding it to gmail is redundant filtering. It sounds to me this was set-up by someone who thinks there's no spam filtering on the .mac side.
I doubt the .Mac spam filtering is very good.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2011, 04:22 AM

Mine wasn't bad when I had it as I recall.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules