Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Booting Ubuntu/Xubuntu Live CD

Booting Ubuntu/Xubuntu Live CD
Javelin Dan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2011, 09:13 AM

Greetings all - a raw newbie here. I have an old E-Mac (white cabinet, looks like a square funnel laying on its side), don't have the specs here at work, but can get them if needed. I'm trying to boot several different distros of Ubuntu and Xubuntu as a live CD, with the results all the same.
The CD boots (boot-up screeen visable), all listed files seem to to load OK. After a couple of minutes the screen goes white for a few moments, then turns blue with a gray dialog box that says that "X failed to start". After clicking "yes" on a couple of default choices, I end up at the command line as sudo ($) and haven't a clue from there. I am guessing that "X" is X-org and there is a configuration problem. Is there an EASY way to get this to boot in X-vesa? I do OK in a desktop environment, but suggestions for entering long strings of code in the command line are probably doomed to failure. Thanks in advance.

itscastro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2011, 03:32 PM

sounds like graphics error, what are the spec's of the Emac?
what version of Ubuntu? 6.10 is the last version that supported PowerPc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2011, 04:41 PM

The emac's video card is probably unsupported. The best case scenario is probably a generic display driver and very low resolution - probably not worth your time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules