Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Imagination Theme ?

Imagination Theme ?
Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 10:35 AM

Do you guys recall the theme Imagination? It's nice, i have it on my computer, but it's incomplete. I wanted to find the authors website to see if there was an update but I can't find more information on it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 10:44 AM

Are you sure it's not a figment of your imagination?

Kidding aside, I honestly have never heard of it before.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 10:44 AM

Well, this is a picture of the theme at least:

Alas, I know nothing of it's fate.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 10:57 AM

I have the theme. It is very usable. The rollover states and buttons are 'smooth'.
It was part of Unsanitys Theme contest. I wondered why no further development happened with it.

If anyone wants to test drive it
http://idisk.mac.com/eyevaan/Public/...ion.guiKit.sit

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 11:11 AM

Yep that's it. I'm running it right now too and i'd love to see the development continue. It's really nice!

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2004, 11:18 AM

I remember that theme, was a good one, but stupid masses always vote for the stupiest, most boring themes same to the mactheme mockup contest, there were so many cool mockups but the boring themes won, except one or two.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
I remember that theme, was a good one, but stupid masses always vote for the stupiest, most boring themes same to the mactheme mockup contest, there were so many cool mockups but the boring themes won, except one or two.
Well, that's your opinion... I think the best theme won, and the other winners were pretty decent too.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 12:50 PM

Latium came out of that contest...
and so did:
Digital Device
Lantern
Boxi

not everything suct.
I may not like all of them equally but all are expertly executed.

VxWolfxV
Aug 6, 2004, 12:58 PM

I had found the site for this theme, but i can't find it now..I emailed the author awhile back regarding this theme. I don't have the email anymore, but i remember it saying he appreciated that people are still interested, but he's been busy. If he should work on it again he said he'd email me...

Edit: Found the email. Here's his reply:

Thank you for taking the time to email me your thoughts on this theme, which I must say I didn't finish. Many things took over my idle time early this year and I'm still unable to find the time to work on it again now. But, I do hope that when school starts in a few weeks that I may get some free time again then to continue work on it. I will keep your email and let you know if I do. The items you mention such as scroll bars, I didn't get implemented, but I did leave off working on the theme with a design to put in for them, they just didn't make it in time for the contest they had. Thanks again for your email.

Steve Hensley
[email protected]
btw, i got that reply July 8th...nothing since...
( Last edited by VxWolfxV; Aug 6, 2004 at 01:10 PM. )

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
but stupid masses always vote for the stupiest, most boring themes
I'd call them the most usable themes but that's just me...

I'm currently running TiSkin, it's stylish without being gaudy or intrusive; it's like a Mac.

swiz
GUI Punk
Aug 6, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by VxWolfxV:
I had found the site for this theme, but i can't find it now..I emailed the author awhile back regarding this theme. I don't have the email anymore, but i remember it saying he appreciated that people are still interested, but he's been busy. If he should work on it again he said he'd email me...

Edit: Found the email. Here's his reply:

btw, i got that reply July 8th...nothing since...
Steve is the guy who helped me into the world of OSX themeing.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 03:41 PM

Swiz, your site has been down all day.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 04:15 PM

Great theme... I only wish the "pull down menus" that Mail and Safari used by default were the non-Aqua ones that are more subtle in texture. Any way to make those become the "default" menus? Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, I'm not a theme developer... Hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks

derekn
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 05:17 PM

Here's the site for Imagination, has some extra screenshots and other info:

http://turtleworld.homeunix.com/comp...ationonly.html

Make sure you have metallifizer installed, otherwise Cocoa windows won't look right at all.

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2004, 09:25 AM

I think that's a slightly different version. The push buttons look different. Good find!

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2004, 03:21 AM

If you find out who the author is, perhaps i can ask him for the original file and continue development on it if he doesn't want to...
FIND ME THE MAKER OF IT!
*DeXtop GUI

derekn
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 06:20 AM

Twister, I can't rememeber the exact date I got the latest version, but there was one release just before the release that is on the page. Not sure if that was a change or not. I'm just glad macthemes has the archive search, I had to look it up again to find that page, it is one of cooler multi-element themes out there.

Penguin, same email addy that was posted by VxWolfxV is the same as on the web page, [email protected] So I guess that'd be the best place to start.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 09:35 AM

March 16th is the version I have. Which is the one from the contest itself.

g3bb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2005, 01:44 AM

Hey Swiz! I'm back. And I think you helped me more than I helped you!

And for Twister, Ozzpot, eyevann, VxWolfxV, and others. Imagination will be released. I picked up work on it 3 weeks ago. I'll spare you the roller coaster car crash details of my life and just say "something(s) suddenly came up"! VxWolfxV, you posted a small preview of the theme. I remember that version, but that wasn't the point where I stopped work on it. I remember replacing the LED's in the menubar with what I currently have in place now. Of all that work I had done on this theme previously, 20% has been replaced.

I did have a server (powerbook pismo), but she caught on fire. Didn't work after that!

I may get the iMac setup to webserve in the next 2-3 weeks. You can occasionally check http://turtleworld.homeunix.com/ to see if it is up. If so, you will find info on the Imagination there. You can email me too to talk about imagination and it's future direction. For now, I'll provide this small snap here.
( Last edited by g3bb; Aug 31, 2005 at 02:01 AM. )

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2005, 09:20 AM

that is nice! I like the stripes. You might get some fallout for them but I think they are sharp. Lookin forward to the update!

FB Eye
Senior User
Aug 31, 2005, 10:19 AM

looking pretty damn nice g3bb!!!

Keep up the good work

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2005, 01:23 PM

It's alllivvvve! Good work.

g3bb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 02:29 AM

First, I decided on a final name. Simply shortened to Imagine 2005. Removed the very outdated preview image included with the theme. I'm almost done adjusting/replacing earlier work in the theme that no longer fit in. Then I can finally work on scrolls and finish buttons. Then app skins. I've decided to provide an updated guikit of the theme for anyone interested in trying it out. A couple of previews are also available there.

http://frontiernet.net/~g3bb/

About those stripes. I know about fallout from stripes. I was one of those people that hated them from the Mac OS X Public Beta days. Now THOSE stripes were so bad, I eventually required glasses.

Oh, I will include color variants after the theme is final. Y'all enjoy.

Steve/g3bb

Mighty_Mike_T
Sep 2, 2005, 03:33 PM

This is awesome! I fell in love with this theme when I saw the original mockup, and I'm thrilled that it's being updated for Tiger.

Two minor requests, if I may:

1. Can you add a custom throbber, to replace the default one? Several themes do this (for example, Stomp)

2. When you make a menu selection, the menu name is highlighted in grey. If this highlight were blue instead, it might match the other theme highlights better.

All in all, though, this theme is incredible (and the iTunes app skin rocks). Great work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules