Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Power intoxicated Pelosi DEMANDS jumbo jet

Power intoxicated Pelosi DEMANDS jumbo jet
Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 09:34 AM

The true hypocracy of the left is coming to light with her elitist desires.

There are plenty of smaller transport aircraft available that will go coast to coast without raping my hard earned tax money to fly her in a jumbo jet while grazing on lobster and champaign.

GOP bristles at Pelosi over plane - Politics - MSNBC.com

WASHINGTON - Republicans on Wednesday assailed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's request for access to an Air Force transport plane as an extravagance, though former Speaker Dennis Hastert flew in a military jet as well.

Republicans are taking issue with the size of the plane. Pelosi and the Defense Department are discussing letting her fly in a C-32 plane, a military version of the Boeing 757-200.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Pentagon agreed to provide the House speaker, who is second in the line of presidential succession, with a military plane for added security during trips back home.

Hastert, an Illinois Republican, flew in a small commuter-sized jet. Pelosi and her aides say that because her congressional district is in California, her security would require a larger plane that can fly coast to coast without refueling.

"It's not a question of size, it's a question of distance," Pelosi said Wednesday. "We want an aircraft that can reach California."

Rep. Adam Putnam of Florida, the No. 3 Republican leader, said he supported the tradition of House speakers having access to secure airplanes with secure communications in the post-9/11 era, because of their spot in the presidential line of succession.

Spokesman guarantees aircraft access
But he called Pelosi's desire for a large transport "an extravagance of power that the taxpayers won't swallow."

Some Republicans have argued that Pelosi could use the larger plane to offer trips to top political donors as a reward for their contributions.

"It's important we see what the specific request was," Putnam said.

Asked about the flap, White House spokesman Tony Snow on Wednesday noted that after the 2001 suicide hijackings the Pentagon, with White House consent, agreed to provide military transport to the speaker of the House.

"What is going on is that the Department of Defense is going through its rules and regulations and having conversations with the speaker about it," he said. "So Speaker Hastert had access to military aircraft, and Speaker Pelosi will, too."
Shut up and eat your paisley.

Feb 8, 2007, 09:55 AM

I just read the article in this morning's LA Times.

The military passenger plane that can make the flight in any weather and also provide the communications necessary to stay in contact with the White House is the bigger and costlier C-40 — described by the Air Force as an "office in the sky" with beds, two galleys and business-class seating.
Wasn't she not so long ago complaining about how this administration is abusing fossil fuels and damaging the environment? What exactly is the effect of one of these jets on the environment?

"Look at me, I'm Nancy P.
Flying on my C-40."

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr View Post
Right. Democrats were sterling politicians before hand. Republicans still are.
( Last edited by Dakar²; Feb 8, 2007 at 10:25 AM. )

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 10:22 AM

This thread is so dumb. Were I to start a list of "taxpayer waste", you can bet it wouldn't start with this plane access.

E.g.,

US President George W. Bush is proposing to slash medical care for the poor and elderly to meet the soaring cost of the Iraq war.
Bush's US$2.9 trillion budget, sent to Congress on Monday, includes US$100 billion extra for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for this year, on top of US$70 billion already allocated by Congress and US$141.7 billion next year. He is planning an 11.3 percent increase for the Pentagon. Spending on the Iraq war is destined to top the total cost of the 13-year war in Vietnam.

The rise in military spending will be paid for by a squeeze on domestic programs, including US$66 billion in cuts over five years to Medicare, the healthcare scheme for the elderly, and US$12 billion from the Medicaid healthcare scheme for the poor.
Taipei Times - archives

Mark Larr  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 10:23 AM

There's nothing about airplanes in your post.

You lose.

Feb 8, 2007, 10:31 AM

Okay, here's something more about jets.

NASA uses military jets to fly to arrested astronaut.

Apparently that has raised some eyebrows also.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Feb 8, 2007, 10:48 AM

Considering she's still a member of the military.
It's a non issue.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 11:01 AM

WASHINGTON - Republicans on Wednesday assailed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's request for access to an Air Force transport plane as an extravagance, though former Speaker Dennis Hastert flew in a military jet as well.
Emphasis added.

Seems hypocritical complaining that they used one and the pres. authorized said militiary plane after 9/11.
Michael

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:03 AM

Hastert, an Illinois Republican, flew in a small commuter-sized jet
Careful now.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:03 AM

So, Speakers of the House, including the former one, Republican Hastert, have access to military aircraft post-911 for security reasons. But Hastert's home was Chicago, half as far as California. So Pelosi needs a bigger plane to actually make it without falling into the middle of Kansas. And now Republicans are outraged!

Ah, the sweet sound of Republicans whining.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Careful now.
Yup, careful.

because her congressional district is in California, her security would require a larger plane that can fly coast to coast without refueling.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:09 AM

There are plenty of smaller transport aircraft available that will go coast to coast
I try.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:10 AM

There's nothing about airplanes in your post.

You lose.
There's no measure of perspective in your post. Or your reply.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 11:21 AM

She campaigned against the excesses in the election cycle. This shows what a liar she is.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:40 AM

I try.
Not hard enough when you quote a MacNN poster rather than the article.

This story is crap. Speakers of the House fly military since 911, and Pelosi need a bigger aircraft than Hastert in order to make it all the way to her district. There's nothing else at all to this. Pelosi "DEMANDED" nothing.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Not hard enough when you quote a MacNN poster rather than the article.
Obviously I'm not trying as hard as you to deny the fact that Pelosi may indeed be a hypocritical bitch. I'm not sure I wish I had this much faith in politicians.

I'm not one to quote other posters, but he certainly is in the right field to be 'in the know.'

Mark Larr  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 12:38 PM

There's no need for her to use the Hummer sized jet, when a more economical one will do fine.

But they probably don't serve lobster for lunch.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:03 PM

I think the hypocrisy, and the spin, is coming from the OP. Once again, she didn't "DEMAND" a bigger plane, she requested a bigger one, because she has a much further distance to fly, but of course the OP said nothing about that, preferring to spin the story the way he wanted. Also, it's quite obvious to everyone that only the Democrats are "power intoxicated."
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:05 PM

Demand does seem like a mischaracterization.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:12 PM

Obviously I'm not trying as hard as you to deny the fact that Pelosi may indeed be a hypocritical bitch. I'm not sure I wish I had this much faith in politicians.
It's not hard at all - I wouldn't assume that anything is true if it comes from the Republican noise machine, dutifully reported in the media and the usual sources. But in this case, even the basic facts make it obvious that there's nothing to it: Speakers fly US planes, Pelosi lives further than Hastert, and needs a bigger plane.

Hypocritical bitch? Wow.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:16 PM

To be fair I think every single politician is a POS*

*on the national level.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
I think the hypocrisy, and the spin, is coming from the OP. Once again, she didn't "DEMAND" a bigger plane, she requested a bigger one, because she has a much further distance to fly, but of course the OP said nothing about that, preferring to spin the story the way he wanted. Also, it's quite obvious to everyone that only the Democrats are "power intoxicated."
Right, and I haven't even seen any evidence that Pelosi "requested" a bigger plane. I'd like to see the original "request," if that's true. More likely, a bigger plane was simply required for the distance, rather than a specific request being made. I just can't imagine the Speaker's staff looking through a little booklet of planes saying "ooh let's ask for that one!"

But "DEMAND" sure fits in well with "BITCH" doesn't it?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 01:26 PM

Pelosi IS a hippocritical bitch.
Period.
From the miminum wage hike to the campaigning against excess.
She's a tool.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
hippocritical
Is that on purpose?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 01:29 PM

Yep.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN

You guys and your 'clever' crap.

Mark Larr  (op)
Mac Enthusiast

I hope so.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:32 PM

White House defends Pelosi. You read it here, hypocritical folks!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070208/...o/pelosi_plane

Much ado about nothing, but that's not surprising.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 01:33 PM

The whole right vs left thing really makes any thread starter look like a damn fool.

Politicians in general are power-hungry and demand things of the public whilst not doing it themselves.

This isn't something reserved for lefties or righties, jesus, you'd think people would f**kin' realize this by now.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 01:37 PM

I just keep thinking, so what's wrong with her broom...

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

I think the position is that she's a Democrat and therefore shouldn't be able to fly in a military aircraft. Hastert did, but he's a Republican, and it was okay because everyone knew he was corrupt. Additionally, global warming is a myth perpetuated by "scientists" who write "papers," but big planes contribute to the myth, so shouldn't be allowed. Finally, this is a waste of taxpayer money; we need it all to spend $2 trillion to find those WMD in Iraq.

Is this a fair summary? It's a pretty damning argument.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I think the position is that she's a Democrat and therefore shouldn't be able to fly in a military aircraft. Hastert did, but he's a Republican, and it was okay because everyone knew he was corrupt. Additionally, global warming is a myth perpetuated by "scientists" who write "papers," but big planes contribute to the myth, so shouldn't be allowed. Finally, this is a waste of taxpayer money; we need it all to spend $2 trillion to find those WMD in Iraq.

Is this a fair summary? It's a pretty damning argument.
That's about right, I'd just add: unlike Hastert, Pelosi is a demanding bitch.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
That's about right, I'd just add: unlike Hastert, Pelosi is a demanding bitch.
If it makes you happy, Hastert is a fat díck.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:19 PM

I would hope only his wife would know that.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:22 PM

Is not has

Rumor
Feb 8, 2007, 02:34 PM

Hahaha, reminds me of an old "guts vs balls" joke.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 8, 2007, 03:39 PM

There are plenty of smaller transport aircraft available that will go coast to coast without raping my hard earned tax money to fly her in a jumbo jet while grazing on lobster and champaign.
That fekkin power intoxicated Shrubster sure is a bad influence, yup.

Except he probably drinks near beer.

What about stuff like the Iraq war?

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...00-notes-goes/
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Feb 8, 2007 at 03:47 PM. )

Mark Larr  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2007, 05:34 PM

Do we still have troops in Germany and Japan?

That fiasco isn't over yet.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/pelosi-one/
Bill Livingood, sergeant-at-arms, said in a statement that the practice began with Mr. Hastert, and that he requested that Mrs. Pelosi receive similar security travel arrangements, and that he was the one who asked for her travel to be on nonstop flights. “I regret that an issue that is exclusively considered and decided in a security context has evolved into a political issue,'’ Mr. Livingood said.
OMG she's out of control!!!!!!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 07:37 PM

I thought I'd excerpt some bits for Mark Larr, who might need this broken down for him:

Pelosi said she would be happy to fly on commercial airliners but said the House sergeant-at-arms office urged her to continue Hastert's practice of using Air Force transport. She said she was informed on her first trip home that her plane would not make it across the country.

"I said well, that's fine, I'm going commercial," she told Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren. "I'm not asking to go on that plane. If you need to take me there for security purposes, you're going to have to get a plane that goes across the country, because I'm going home to my family."
Why don't you turn your GOP hate machine on the House sergeant-at-arms?

Atomic Rooster
Feb 8, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
OMG she's out of control!!!!!!
You should see her when she gets on her bicycle. Get outta the freakin' way peasants. Shrubby is like Lance Armstrong except when he crashes.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 07:38 PM

I LOL'd

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 09:08 PM

Clinton* got a blowjob!

Here we go again!

* Bill.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:18 PM

#1 reason Hillary won't make it into the White House:

She had sexual relations with Bill.

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2007, 09:20 PM

Wow, Mark was just smacked down. Where's Spliffdaddy?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 09:41 PM

There's no need for her to use the Hummer sized jet, when a more economical one will do fine.

But they probably don't serve lobster for lunch.
They serve lobster on the "Hummer sized" military jets?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 09:47 PM

So, let me get this straight: The woman needs to get to California. She asks for a plane capable of getting her to California. And now people are trying to attack her for it.

Wow, the Republicans are just as much a bunch of petty bitches when they're out of power as the Democrats were.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wow, the Republicans are just as much a bunch of petty bitches when they're out of power as the Democrats were.
QFT!!!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2007, 12:55 AM

Legislators should have to trade tax loopholes and government contracts for rides on private or corporate jets. That's how the Republicans had to do it -- five miles through snow, uphill each way -- and I don't think this witch pELOSI should be given any favors.

Mark Larr  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Wow, Mark was just smacked down. Where's Spliffdaddy?
No smackdown.

You're delusional, it was only personal attacks with zero substance as usual.

Fact still stands, she doesn't NEED a jumbo jet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules