Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD laser, is it safe?

DVD laser, is it safe?
vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 11:37 PM

My slot load iMac had problems ejecting DVDs (cds eject fine for some reason)... The discs would not get past the slot.

So I ordered a couple of extra bottom shells for the iMac and had an idea. What if I take the "lips" off the iMac and have a little bit of room to grab it if its stuck.

Well, I did it and to my surprise it hasn't gotten stuck that bad since.

But, am I exposing myself to dangerous DVD-ROM lasers? I saw a red light in there before. I hope that's not serious. Maybe I should put a cloth over it....

anyone?
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2003, 07:44 AM

I don't think so, but you can always take precautions.

The DVD LED laser is very low power. It will also not be very focused unless you are really sticking your head in there.

Usually there are warnings about the DVD ROM being a "Class X Laser" or something on the drive.

- iMac's lips. Funny.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2003, 11:14 AM

You've totally missed the bus on this one... No, the optical laser will not hurt you from that angle. The reason that your cds are getting stuck in the first place however is that you have improperly reassembled your imac chassis. On the edge of the lower bezel, to the right and left of the optical slot there are two fastener clips. Most likely you have fastened those correctly. There is also a clip located at dead center directly above the slot. Admittedly it is not an entirely easy task to reattach the lower bezel properly. You'll probably have to put the imac face down and then lift up the front of the lower bezel to make sure that you have the clips fastened properly. I've seen machines with this problem several times, and i've made the mistake myself and had to correct it. The edges of the disc bezel cover are bent improperly in a concave shape because the center clip does not fit into its associating crevice and thus impinges on the drive cover opening. You may need to fiddle with it a little, but you should be able to get attached properly.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

vvedge  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by gto47:
You've totally missed the bus on this one... No, the optical laser will not hurt you from that angle. The reason that your cds are getting stuck in the first place however is that you have improperly reassembled your imac chassis....
Thanks for the advice, but I doubt I can get it to go in right. Actually, maybe its not the lip removal that did it. the case that I tore the lips off of had a few of the hooks broken or snapped off. So you might be right.

As I said, I have several cases. So I dont really mind mutiliating one of the less useful ones.

It was kinda fun actually...

hehe, ironic smiley.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

Forum Links
Forum Rules