Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problem Installing 7.5.5

Problem Installing 7.5.5
DougMac
Jan 20, 2000, 04:46 PM

I posted on the Apple Tech Exchange but got nothing so I thought I'd try here. I have an old PowerBook 540 which had a wiped hard drive so I did a clean install of 7.5.3 and everything was great, tried to update to 7.5.5 and it died.

- First time I got 'bus error', but I had done the update with Appletalk & filesharing on, so I figured that was the problem
- Second try (cleaned hard drive, reinstall 7.5.3) and I get 'illegal operation'

The errors occur before extensions are loaded so my only option is to boot from a disk and then reinstall the OS (which is tiring since its on 16 floppies). Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

bluefire 529
Jan 20, 2000, 05:01 PM

You may need to do a low-level format (with Drive Setup). This is the only way I can bypass these errors on machines here in the shop when basic initializtion does not do the trick.

Good luck.

DougMac
Jan 21, 2000, 09:32 PM

Can you explain a bit more (until Dec I haven't used a Mac since high school - an SE).

If this is a hard drive problem, why does OS 7.5.3 work fine? I will try what you suggest, I don't recall seeing that option on the Drive Setup for the boot disk I'm using (Disk Tools 1). Thanks.

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2000, 02:35 AM

I had a 6100/60 that was doing the same. I even replaced HD which was formatted by a third party formatter and it didn't help. I have a feeling that it is the logic board or a part of it. Try resetting it by disconnecting internal battery for 15 minutes.

DougMac
Jan 24, 2000, 01:23 AM

Thanks - I think the problem might actually be the PRAM, it's dead. I've ordered a replacement and will do this all over again once that arrives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules