Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HD trouble with Powermac 7500

HD trouble with Powermac 7500
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2000, 09:45 PM

Recently, one of the two hard drives in my 7500 stopped mounting. I cannot get it to mount, and I cannot get any progrm, including tech tool pro, and Apple's own HD setup program to even see the drive, but teh srive is plugged in and it is spinning, and i swapped bays with my two drives, to make sure that it was the drive, adn it IS the drive. Also, the same exact tim this started, my computer will freeze for a few seconds (all but mouse) every few seconds or so. Does anyone ahve any ideas on what is wrong and how i can fix it? BTW: Things like keystrokes and mouse clicks are remembered during the freezes, but sound being recorded stps.

bluefire 529
Jan 11, 2000, 01:26 PM

Sounds like the drive itself is bad. If the drive controller (the HD circuit board) has gone bad, it will cause some very odd things to happen to your system by way of the SCSI chain. These could include Momentary freezes, longer than average start-up times, etc. Does the drive sound as if it is spinning smoothly or does it seem to repeatedly "rev up" and then slow down? If the second is true, the drive is very dead.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2000, 02:13 PM

It revs very smoothly. And those freezes that started happenening continue to happen even when i disconect the drive completely. i have yet to reinstall my system and see if that helps, i havn't had the time.

[This message has been edited by l008com (edited 01-11-2000).]

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2000, 05:19 PM

lotta possibilities here

you need to provide more info, such as:

RAM(real or virtual?), OS#, processor, upgrades, make of drives.

have you tried simple options of zap PRAM, rebuild desktop in regards to your stalls? you say they continue even if the suspect drive is disconnected?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2000, 05:57 PM

Booting with the drive on but not attached and have Disk Warrior open first, then attach. I had to do this on my internal Seagate once.

Was unable to write a rebuilt directory, but was able to see a "preview" of the drive to copy/backup to another drive, then had to reformat. Hasn't had another problem in over a year - about when Disk Warrior had been out couple months.

Greg

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2000, 08:56 PM

My drive won't mount at all, no programs can see it at all. What do you mean boot with drive on but not attatched?

I have:
128MB REAL RAM, OS8.6, dual 604e's, one segate and one other drive

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2000, 10:39 AM

the drive may be dead
also try norton, in disk doctor select "find missing disks". also try a recent version of FWB or LaCie silver lining to see if you can initialize. if you get it up you will probably lose all the data if tech tool, norton or disk warrior wont see it
not sure but i think greg meant mount
also try "mt. everything" freeware or shareware, not sure

PM8500/G3-400 clocked to 454/1Mb L2
208Mb RAM, interleaved, OS9
Rage128 Orion16Mb/4Mb VRAM/2 monitors(17"&14")
scanners, M-O, zip, jaz on SCSI ext.
IBM, Seagate HD's and Plextor 12/20 Plex internal

[This message has been edited by zac4mac (edited 01-20-2000).]

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2000, 10:53 AM

off subject, but realized from other posts that you are running dual 604e's on OS8.6
i have thought that 8.6 didn't support multi-processors...if you have access to a copy of OS9, try running macbench or norton system info with 8.6, then OS9 to see if any difference, might also try some heavy photoshop stuff and compare. i think OS9 will use the duals better than 8.6

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2000, 07:09 PM

I had a problem like this a while back when I ran Norton it unmounted my drives and then I Ran Tech Tool Pro and it remounted them but all my data was corrupted. turned out to be a battery issue. Have you tried replacing the battery?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2000, 09:08 PM

No i haven't, is there a program that can check the battery, like techtool?

Tom K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2000, 01:54 AM

Program to test battery

PRAM Battery Checker v1.02

Can't recall where I got it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules