Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Powerbooks In Stock - Anywhere - Apparently

No Powerbooks In Stock - Anywhere - Apparently
iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 11:37 AM

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 11:41 AM

We shall see what becomes of this!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Sakino
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 11:47 AM

Okay if this is the case? Then why isn�t apple making an incentive to release the new pb with immediate shipping.
As that article said, school is just around the corner. I NEED my powerbook for school, if I don�t get it im screwed.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Check it out.
Congrats on going 'green' too!

Other then JoeG4/MacZealot/Link, it must be one of the quickest 'newbie--->green' evolutions in MacNN history!

Darksider
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 12:44 PM

Odd I just picked up my 12" yesterday...

y2kerr
Aug 23, 2003, 12:54 PM

Just ordered my TiBook yesterday at about 5:00 EST. It's due to ship by Friday August 29 at the latest.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

Other then JoeG4/MacZealot/Link, it must be one of the quickest 'newbie--->green' evolutions in MacNN history!
don't forget AssassyN... 0-2650 posts in just 8 months.
12.5 posts per day of useful, thoughtful information
( Last edited by MaxPower2k3; Aug 23, 2003 at 01:06 PM. )

beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 01:03 PM

Speculation speculation speculation

The only that it is sure that Apple is releasing new models is the moment that they are announced. Anybody who has bought a new 12-15-17 inch: do not lfeel disappointed. The upgrades will not be of such importance that it makes your computer suddenly very old and/or slow. Over the period that you own it there will be multiple upgrades. Howvver when you take them into consideration and compare them for what you use your computer you will learn that it is not much that you are missing out on.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2003, 01:07 PM

Yesterday the salesman at my local Apple store said they have plenty of Powerbooks. In fact, he said they just got a shipment of more that day.

For what it's worth...

Chris

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2003, 02:40 PM

According to MacPrices.com, there are PBs in stock at about 5 different resellers. I know they must have alot at any Best Buy that just started carrying Macs. They are not all gone yet, tho they are heavily depleted!

-b

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
don't forget AssassyN... 0-2650 posts in just 8 months.
12.5 posts per day of useful, thoughtful information
And this post was *how* useful?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2003, 03:19 PM

Looks like the 15" models are scarce (as to be expected) but MacMall has a 'few' of the others if you want to buy one:

12" - 700 Units
17" - 400 Units

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2003, 03:23 PM

I ordered my Ti PB this last Wed. After some weird contradicting emails it's on it's way from Taiwan. Sleepydog has the same thing happening. When I rodered mine the apple rep told me there were none in stock but didn't know how it would be handled. Anyway, it's sittin in Indianapolis right now scheduled for a Tues. delivery. Almost get eh feeling they are building as needed on the 15's right now.

Karim
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 03:27 PM

This begs the questions: Why are some people reporting no stock at "any" store, and what is their motive to mislead people, if their is such a motive.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 09:31 PM

Hi AssassyN:

Hope things are going well up there your way.

Karim: That's a very good question, you know?

Personally, I'd like to see a new Powerbook soon but as I said in another thread, I'm starting to think that October 21st is when they're going to be announced -- the same day that Microsoft is announcing another new product and announcing and releasing their new Office software -- all on a Tuesday.

It'll be interesting to watch and see what happens.

Personally, I'm very disappointed in Apple. "The Year of the Powerbook" is not very impressive thus far is my opinion. The poll here says that 50% of people are waiting for the release of the new 15-inch Powerbook, which includes me, which is a LOT of sales that Apple is foregoing.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

*bow* both MacZealot and JoeG4 went green.. this shall hit that soon

yikes.. or maybe not.. I thought I had 600 posts not 300. Wow.

Oh come now.. some of my posts have to be good
Aloha

Rowen
Aug 24, 2003, 09:28 AM

I don't have my Mac yet, but it seems they follow a trend of making big announcements or upgrades as conventions or expos are held... Thus stated:

IBC � Amsterdam
Sep 12-Sep 16

Apple expo � Paris
Sep 16-Sep 20

Hmm, if the Powerbook upgrades have not come by then I can almost bet they are within those dates.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 09:39 AM

Personally, I'm very disappointed in Apple. "The Year of the Powerbook" is not very impressive thus far is my opinion. The poll here says that 50% of people are waiting for the release of the new 15-inch Powerbook, which includes me, which is a LOT of sales that Apple is foregoing.
I really don't get this kind of logic, it is the year of the PB, 2 completely new models, and the marketing to go with them. Should we expect Apple to update the configuration every few months to back up their statement? I don't think so, cause we'd soon see people here crying out how their new 17 incher has just been updated, again.

I think the 17" alone has made this the year of the PB , and combined with the 12", Apple have turned out some sweet machines.

Anyway, the 15" is still a great machine.
A Jew with a view.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by version:
I really don't get this kind of logic, ...
Actually, its not surprising at all. Its a classic case of mis-managing customer expectations...

They put out such a uncharacteristically inconsistent line of PowerBooks, that people were all but certain that Apple would soon clean up the mess. (The mess I refer to is that the 17 and 12 share features the intermediate 15 lacks; the 15 and 17 share features the 12 lacks due to its relationship to the iBooks rather than the PowerBooks; and so on.)

Given people would assume that Apple would clean that up, and thus a 15" update imminent... Apple should have made it clear that they have no intention to do so until XX/03 or XX/04. Then you wouldn't have people waiting for 7 months for that 15" update, frustrating endlessly, without any visibility to when their wait would end... and costing Apple sales.

In our experience, its more important that you do what your customers expect than exactly what that is yo do... so, if you can only do X or don't want to do more than X, make sure your customers are only expecting X.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 10:43 AM

That's one of the most intelligent answers to this question that I've ever seen here at forums, Kennedy.

It's so true.

The Titanium is like a "leftover" model or something. You have great features on the 12-inch and 17-inch, including aluminum cases with no paint, and then you have the painted Titanium with the yesteryear hinges.

I'm not buying another one of those and the 12-inch is too small and the 17-inch is too big and I got rid of the Titaniums I had because I was expecting Apple to update.

It's just weird for them to leave the line-up the way it is.

Also, I know of someone who assumed that buying a 15-inch Powerbook was going to be a smaller version than the 17-inch and of course larger than 12-inches and then it wasn't like either one of them -- he was pissed.

Notice how Apple quietly dropped the "Titanium" from descriptions of the 15-inch?

version
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:09 AM

It still doesn't make sense though, that was a good point you made Kennedy, and it's what I've thought at times too, but we've only just gone past the half way mark of the year. If Apple release the new 15" soon, then it's still the year of the laptop, the 12, and 17" models came out at the beginning and have saturated that part of the market, and if Apple release the new models now, it's still going to be a rocket year for PBs.

The year still has quite a few months left.
A Jew with a view.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:11 AM

Notice how Apple quietly dropped the "Titanium" from descriptions of the 15-inch?
Your desire for new PowerBooks is causing you to hallucinate. There are three mentions of titanium in the first two paragraphs of the TiBook page.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 11:25 AM

Well, when I went to the Apple site this morning, it said, "Three Powerbooks to choose from," or something similar to that.

Thanks for telling me about my hallucinations -- Dr. Freud.

(To be honest, I don't care either way -- I didn't pay much attention since it's not that important to me like it must be to you?)

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:44 AM

(To be honest, I don't care either way -- I didn't pay much attention since it's not that important to me like it must be to you?)
I'm keeping my sanity during the wait to replace my 667 by serving as the voice of reason in the clamor of PowerBooks-are-imminent conspiracy theorists.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 12:38 PM

You know what? That's smart.

I'd say that the biggest mistakes I've made recently with respect to Powerbooks were:

1. Selling the 667Mhz Titanium to buy the 800Mhz Titanium

2. Selling the 800Mhz Titanium to buy the 867Mhz Titanium

3. Selling the 867Mhz Titanium to buy the 1Ghz Titanium.

THEY ALL RUN AT 667MHZ -- WHEN THE PROCESSOR IS PUT ON "REDUCED" TO KEEP THE FAN FROM RUNNING CONSTANTLY.

I should NEVER have upgraded past the 667Mhz, period. Plus, on each and every one of them I added AppleCare at $350 a pop!

I'm a freaking MORE-ON.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Rowen:
I don't have my Mac yet, but it seems they follow a trend of making big announcements or upgrades as conventions or expos are held... Thus stated:

IBC � Amsterdam
Sep 12-Sep 16

Apple expo � Paris
Sep 16-Sep 20

Hmm, if the Powerbook upgrades have not come by then I can almost bet they are within those dates.
Whilst this used to be true, Apple have moved away form making announcements at Expos and Macworlds... it made for a diabolical business situation with regard to consumer buying cycles.

These days Apple are just as likely to make a snap announcement at the Flint Centre... (Xserve, iPod etc)

Peace,

Marc

beachmark
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 01:03 PM

Soem have posted remarks to the 'Yearof the Laptop" statement by Apple. I gethe impression that the posters expected to see all the Powerbooks to be upgraded every so often. Personally I believethat Apple meant that it had to do with the numebr of sales of Powerbooks and iBooks. Looking at the recent figures I believe that I am right as the sales of each and every line of their laptops is still going up, yes also the 15 inch. However I also believethat you all do not have to fear that there will not be any upgrading until theend of the year as there will be. Before the ball drops on Time Square you will see upgraded laptops of Apple. So guys and girls then you have something to start posting about later on.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 01:11 PM

Yeah, but look at it another way:

If a Powerbook were released shortly I'd buy one...

And I might buy another one for a family member for a holiday gift in December.

But, if Powerbooks aren't introduced until very near the start of or at the start of the holiday season I'm only buying one: For me.

That means that Apple will likely lose sales.

On the other hand, I'm only speculating and it means nothing.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by kennedy:
Actually, its not surprising at all. Its a classic case of mis-managing customer expectations...

They put out such a uncharacteristically inconsistent line of PowerBooks, that people were all but certain that Apple would soon clean up the mess. (The mess I refer to is that the 17 and 12 share features the intermediate 15 lacks; the 15 and 17 share features the 12 lacks due to its relationship to the iBooks rather than the PowerBooks; and so on.)

Given people would assume that Apple would clean that up, and thus a 15" update imminent... Apple should have made it clear that they have no intention to do so until XX/03 or XX/04. Then you wouldn't have people waiting for 7 months for that 15" update, frustrating endlessly, without any visibility to when their wait would end... and costing Apple sales.

In our experience, its more important that you do what your customers expect than exactly what that is yo do... so, if you can only do X or don't want to do more than X, make sure your customers are only expecting X.

Whew Kennedy, so true. Many feel this is done to create hype for the next product ie.... When this new 15inch powerbook is release everyone is going to jump on it. Once again, there will not be enough in stock to cover the demands. During the waiting the period another rumor will leak about a new upgrade and this vicious cycle will start all over again.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:25 PM

One reason the 15"Tibook may still be around is that its the only PB currently sold that boots OS9, not just X. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 02:36 PM

That's true -- it boots to OS 9.

But OS 9 is dead for most people at this point, especially now that Quark is available for OS X.

There's really no reason to not move over to OS X completely, unless you can't afford to upgrade to the latest software for financial reasons (which is nothing to be ashamed of).

PowerTower Fan
Aug 24, 2003, 06:53 PM

There's really no reason to not move over to OS X completely, unless you can't afford to upgrade to the latest software for financial reasons (which is nothing to be ashamed of).
No, that is wrong. I know of businesses still using OS 9 because of the lack of printer drivers for older high-end printers, specifically HP's. My dad bought a $3000 HP printer a few years ago and has been told by HP that the model isn't supported by OS X and never will be. The price of upgrading to OS X can easily go up into the thousands to get new supported perephrials, which is why many people are going to stick to OS 9 still.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:33 PM

does this mean I'll finally be able to get a rev b 17" for christmas?
Aloha

sleepydog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by southtdi:
I ordered my Ti PB this last Wed. After some weird contradicting emails it's on it's way from Taiwan. Sleepydog has the same thing happening. When I rodered mine the apple rep told me there were none in stock but didn't know how it would be handled. Anyway, it's sittin in Indianapolis right now scheduled for a Tues. delivery. Almost get eh feeling they are building as needed on the 15's right now.
Southdi, I'll find out tomorrow, when mine is delivered. Like you, I get the feeling Apple is building them as needed. I also feel like we may be getting the very last 15 TiBooks. So, on one hand, I'm psyched to be getting a new machine, but on the other, I'm a bit sad that I didn't wait a bit longer. Oh well. I need a machine now and I ordered the best one for me.

Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by PowerTower Fan:
No, that is wrong. I know of businesses still using OS 9 because of the lack of printer drivers for older high-end printers, specifically HP's. My dad bought a $3000 HP printer a few years ago and has been told by HP that the model isn't supported by OS X and never will be. The price of upgrading to OS X can easily go up into the thousands to get new supported perephrials, which is why many people are going to stick to OS 9 still.
I have to disagree.

With the advent of CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) and Gimp Print, there are printer drivers for virtually every printer out there. I am not kidding.

The department I work for makes use of many HPs, including an HP Plotter. We can use gimp print and ghostscript to drive the printers. However, what we actually do is use a Linux print server with ESP Print Pro (from the guys who made CUPS), which talks to the plotter, logs activity and whole bunch of other stuff, and talks through CUPS to the Mac OS X 10.2 clients. It just shows up as a shared printer.

Umm, seriously, take a look into Gimp Print, it will most likely work.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by sleepydog:
Southdi, I'll find out tomorrow, when mine is delivered. Like you, I get the feeling Apple is building them as needed. I also feel like we may be getting the very last 15 TiBooks. So, on one hand, I'm psyched to be getting a new machine, but on the other, I'm a bit sad that I didn't wait a bit longer. Oh well. I need a machine now and I ordered the best one for me.
We'll it's confirmed. they are building as needed and shipping form Taiwan. I just got my 15" Ti PB form the FedEx guy (a day early I might add). While I know some are waiting for the new ones this is plenty for me right now for what I do and I actually like the Ti look. Wouldn't have minded a newer one but I didn't want to pay the premium for it either.

I also have to add that three days form Taiwan (fedex standard) including the day it sat in Indianapolis isn't too bad.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Darksider:
Odd I just picked up my 12" yesterday...
First of all, that was a grand idea

Second, supplies are supposed to be very low.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 10:26 AM

Good work, southtdi!

Interesting.

That explains why the local Apple Store only has open box units on the Titaniums in stock. Good prices on them too -- he said that they're really trying to move them out.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 10:44 AM

The quote from MWSF '03:

It only refers to iBook and PowerBook sales as a percentage of all Mac sales. Apple is shooting for 50% of all Macs sold being notebooks.

Apple is coming close: Q3 '03 sales show that notebook sales accounts for 45.5% of sales (while this can also be attributed to weak iMac and weaker G4 sales).

Carry-on and I hope a new PBook is released this week for all of you.

[edit: fixed subject and verb agreement]
[edit 2: fixed misused apostrophe, as can be seen in Bruno's quote, below--where's my coffee]
( Last edited by scottiB; Aug 25, 2003 at 11:03 AM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
It only refers to iBook and PowerBook sales as a percentage of all Mac sales. Apple's is shooting for 50% of all Macs sold being notebooks.
Thank you, scottiB, I have been saying that until I'm blue in the face and nobody wants to believe it.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 11:31 AM

Has anyone considered that stock of Powerbooks might be a bit low right now because... its back-to-school, and demand just outstripped production for a few weeks??

I know... there's no fun in that theory!

Debating on whether to buy my new PB12 today... or wait to see if anything is announced tomorrow... I buy tomorrow, one way or the other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules