Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "AppleModemOnHold": what process is this?

"AppleModemOnHold": what process is this?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 03:45 AM

I was setting up a friend's new eMac and I noticed a background process in Activity Viewer that I've never seen on any other Mac running Panther. It's called "AppleModemOnHold." It was taking up several megs of RAM, but no CPU cycles at the time?

Does anyone know what the hell this is, what it does, and how to disable it?

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I was setting up a friend's new eMac and I noticed a background process in Activity Viewer that I've never seen on any other Mac running Panther. It's called "AppleModemOnHold." It was taking up several megs of RAM, but no CPU cycles at the time?

Does anyone know what the hell this is, what it does, and how to disable it?
If your friend is on a dial-up connection, I believe that process notifies you of an incoming call while online if you have call waiting, and it suspends the internet connection for a few minutes instead of completely disconnecting. When you finish the call, your connection resumes (at least it should) as if you were never off-line. Was the mac online when you noticed that process?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

delete
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 08:59 AM

Interesting. I have a Dual 2.0 with a cable modem and I've noticed that process also. I've never even used the built in 56k modem.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by himself:
If your friend is on a dial-up connection, I believe that process notifies you of an incoming call while online if you have call waiting, and it suspends the internet connection for a few minutes instead of completely disconnecting. When you finish the call, your connection resumes (at least it should) as if you were never off-line. Was the mac online when you noticed that process?
The 56k modem wasn't plugged in. They have an ADSL connection.

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 11:46 PM

For the current network configuration, is the internal modem box also checked under the the network port configuration in the network preferences? If not, I can only assume it is related to the DSL modem somehow... but the only thing I can think of that "AppleModem" would apply to is the built in dial-up modem, or possibly bluetooth, if that were available (but that would probably be designated as "Bluetooth"). What is the parent process for AppleModemOnHold in activity monitor?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 12:15 AM

The parent process is LoginWindow. It's just the process that lets the internal modem put an internet connection on hold to take voice call. I don't know why it's running on my machine even though my internal modem port is disabled, but it is, and I don't care. It takes no CPU time and very little memory.

Chris

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 12:43 AM

i see this too, after a erase & install of 10.3.5.

anyone else?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 07:29 AM

Since it's a standard part of the OX, my guess is that we all have it. It's nothing to worry about.

Chris

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 10:37 AM

I've been curious about this too. If this process is a standard part of the OS, why does it run on my G5 and not on my iBook?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 10:40 AM

well if your like me, and must have stuff tidy, its safe to just delete the app for it, i've removed it on my imac (g5) after I noticed it running, havn't had a problem since :S

System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
InternalModemSupport.kext/Contents/Resources/AppleModemOnHold.app
- Tim

Forum Links
Forum Rules