Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Screen Failures

Screen Failures
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 05:01 AM

I'm surprised not to find a thread on this already but....

What's the story on iPod Nano screen failures ? Lost of people are apparently complaining that their iPod Nano screens busted, or got badly scratched. Now, frankly some of the stories I'm hearing sound fanciful - wiping with a cloth scratches the screen - that kind of thing. This sounds very fishy to me - at best a very vocal minority, at worst, well, lets just say now we know what Creative are spending their hugely increased advertising budget on... :/

...and then Ars Technica report that the Nano is damned-near indestructible.

So which is it ?

Can anyone here who's got one comment ?

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 08:33 AM

i dont have one but have u checked out this site

http://homepage.mac.com/matthewdotcom/flaw/
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Tiresias
Sep 27, 2005, 09:13 AM

This concerns me because I ordered a nano today. But from what I've read, nano's are coming out of pants' pockets with cracks. Maybe these few unhappy customers are wearing supertight jeans or have a weight problem and are sitting on their nanos.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2005, 12:05 PM

Wow, just because you can put it in your pocket doesn't mean you should. They should have gotten a shuffle. I'm sure these screens didn't break on their own. These owners put these in their pocket and broke them. I don't get why it's Apple's fault because they're not indesctructable.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Wow, just because you can put it in your pocket doesn't mean you should. They should have gotten a shuffle. I'm sure these screens didn't break on their own. These owners put these in their pocket and broke them. I don't get why it's Apple's fault because they're not indesctructable.
New iPod nano - 1000 Songs in Your Pocket™ *

(* Warning, not for use in pockets.)
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
I'm surprised not to find a thread on this already but....
Try this one:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=270669
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gogarty
This concerns me because I ordered a nano today. But from what I've read, nano's are coming out of pants' pockets with cracks. Maybe these few unhappy customers are wearing supertight jeans or have a weight problem and are sitting on their nanos.
Maybe they're putting the device in the back pocket.

Anyway, Apple can't control how people use their iPod. If an idiot sits on it -- too bad.

I'm surprised that nobody has had a problem with someone choking on it.

Maybe Apple should have designed it to be larger than the original iPod. It could have a thermal printer attachment so you can view your menu items and print a song list. There would be no screen to scratch, crack, or otherwise spill those poor innocent liquid crystals.

It could be made of steel and welded together, because rivets would come apart in someone's pocket.

There would be no battery -- you would crank it to give it a charge. That way, Apple wouldn't have to defend battery life claims.

..etc, etc, etc........
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
New iPod nano - 1000 Songs in Your Pocket™ *

(* Warning, not for use in pockets.)

Well...they couldn't very well have used: 1000 Songs in Your Ear.

kitcho
Sep 27, 2005, 02:57 PM

i got mine yesterday - 4gb white. im gonna hold off on using it hard until i get a hardcase. im keeping it in the little plastic case it came in that reminds me not to steal music until i can get my hands on a case. people are going all out before they think about protection. its like sleeping with a dirty chick and asking questions later - like why are my pubes so itchy.

k i think i went a little far there but i hope some people get the point

outsourced
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 03:59 PM

Good point. Very visual.

Smart move, waiting for the case.

Not to get too far off topic, but I recently looked at a nano and couldn't believe the readability of that puny text. Amazing display. And the scroll wheel is very nicely designed. Gives just the right amount of tactile feedback.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
This sounds very fishy to me - at best a very vocal minority, at worst, well, lets just say now we know what Creative are spending their hugely increased advertising budget on... :/

...and then Ars Technica report that the Nano is damned-near indestructible.

I really had reservations about it from the start and my posts on the subject are noted in that 8 page thread. I was actually surprised by the Nano. I physically tried to bend the thing to see if it had any flex. It was a lot stronger than I thought it would be. You'd have to give it quite a bit of torque to get it to bend and break the screen. Bending it across the middle is tough so the only easy way to flex it enough to crack the screen is to rotate it around itself. So it's not delicate but its thickness is low enough that you can damage it if you are careless. Though it would require the weight of your body to do that.

On the scratching, I think that given Apple's choice in materials it's inevitable.
The iBooks and other iPods are susceptible to the same type of scratching. With everyday wear the buffed shiny look of the nano is going to get dull just like those previously stated items. It does need a case made of rubber and a hard case better have some kind of inside lining. If you keep it with your keys or spare change you are asking for scratches.

I tend to believe the Ars report. Since the screen is backlit even if there are scratches reading the display would be possible. I don't think there's a big conspiracy by Creative to slander the Nano but would anyone be surprised if those who have always shown disdain for the iPod jumped on this opportunity to make a complaint into a news story? The scratching does not amount to a deffect from what I have seen

Some people may be annoyed the luster of the Nano is susceptible to dulling but as I said that fact is true of a all iPods. Just get a case.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

I think its scare mongering by the iPod rival manufacturers. I mean really, this has got so much press.. but I don't exactly see a lot of posts on forums like this, to back up the claims..
Isn't this one of the biggest Mac user forums there is? That being the case, you'd have thought we'd scarcely be able to move in here for all the 'My Nano is broken!' posts..
So where are they all?

Mean while, Sony and Creative etc rub their hands together while they try and claw back some sales..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

kitcho
Sep 27, 2005, 06:00 PM

grrr has a point. other manufacturers cant wait at the sidelines for them to get lapped by apple once again. they will do anything within their power to limit apple's dominance while making their products seemingly more tangible. though any 1st generation apple product has issues, some people expect too much out of their electronics. its an mp3 player with a few extras. leave it at that. with that said, the first wave of people who got nanos were a type of experiment. many of them i bet wanted to know what this thing was capable of. to their demise its not bulletproff. im kinda glad i waited for beast buy to get them in stock, which for the 4gig models (white only) was yesterday.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 06:20 PM

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09...reen/index.php

Apple said that the screens on the iPod nano are made with the same material that is found in the company’s fourth-generation iPod, which, to date, is complaint free.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jnrjr79
Sep 27, 2005, 08:14 PM

My nano screen just broke not 10 minutes ago. I was using it in the car. I parked about 75 feet from my apartment door. I took the nano out of the car and put it in my pocket. There was nothing else in this pocket. I walk into my apartment and take it out of my pocket to plug it back in to my computer. What do I see? A totally broken screen. There is no visible trauma whatsoever to the actual plastic exterior, but the lcd is totally ruined. I didn't run into anything or do anything that I can think of that could have damaged the iPod. I've got to say, this is my third iPod and I've loved the first two, but I'm really disappointed now.
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 10:13 PM

I love my 40GB 3G~!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jnrjr79
Sep 27, 2005, 10:30 PM

I just got off the phone with Applecare. They had not heard of the announcement today. After an hour, they said to bring it in to a retail store to be examined further. We'll see.
iMac G5: 1.8 GHz, 20'', 250 GB, 1280 RAM, APX, BT
iBook G3: 700 MHz, 12'', 30 GB, 640 RAM, AP
iPod 2G 20GB
iPod Shuffle 512 MB

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 10:51 PM

I ordered one for my brother a few days ago. It says 1-2 weeks to ship. I hope he gets a good one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules