Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need to convert .dat to .mp3

Need to convert .dat to .mp3
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2006, 12:37 AM

Hi all
I copied a .dat file from a VCD (video CD). It's a karaoke track so I'm assuming it has a left/right channel that can be enabled/disabled. I am able to play it in Quicktime 7 Pro.
What I need is to rip the audio out of this video clip and convert it to mp3 or burn it to CD. Long story short, I'm singing at a wedding in a few weeks and need this song!
Thanks
M
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 03:32 AM

if QTpro is able to play it, choose "aiff" as export option, then drop resulting file into iTunes and let it do the job to convert into mp3 (set prefs of iT to mp3)

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006, 06:04 AM

The problem is that VCD is MPEG-1, and Quicktime isn't able to export audio from any MPEG source (last I checked). The solution is called MPEG Streamclip which, among other things, lets you export audio from MPEG-1 (and MPEG-2 if you have the QT MPEG-2 component).

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2006, 12:05 PM

Would I be able to select, say, the left channel to export or does it have to be both; again, this is a karaoke track and i need the "instrumental" channel...

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2006, 01:40 AM

both apps, Streamclip and QTpro exports both audio channels; but in a step 2 you can use any audio processor, Garageband or the free Audacity to select one mono chanel and create a double-mono/"stereo" track.......

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2006, 12:33 PM

sounds complicated =\

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2006, 01:03 PM

it IS complicated... VCD/DVD is a delivery format, normally not meant for further processing, editing, ....

I prefer the "hardwire" way: connect DVDplayer audio-out to some audio-in at your Mac (does it? or an Grffin's iMic...?) and record straight form standalone player...

Forum Links
Forum Rules