Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple TV page highlights Steel Series Nimbus Bluetooth controller

Apple TV page highlights Steel Series Nimbus Bluetooth controller
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 9, 2015, 06:23 PM

The today-announced Apple TV can use more than just the controller it ships with. Featured alongside the Apple TV on Apple's web page is the Steel Series Nimbus, a Bluetooth controller specifically designed with Apple's iOS ecosystem in mind, and chargeable with Apple's Lightning connector.

The controller is a conventionally designed unit, with four face buttons, two analog sticks, a directional pad, and four triggers. A central menu button controls the Apple TV, and the two analog sticks have a pushbutton as well. The controller swaps the locations of the directional pad and the left analog stick as compared to the Xbox controller in a orientation similar to that of the PlayStation's controller.

As opposed to most MFi controllers, there is no phone clip, or any other method to attach a tablet or phone. It is compatible with any system that can utilize a Bluetooth game controller, despite the lack of connection points.

The controller is not yet for sale, but is listed on the Steel Series website as a $50 controller.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 9, 2015 at 07:15 PM. )

MaxHedrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2015, 07:11 PM

So, you define a "'Normal' controller" as an XBox controller? PlayStation controllers are configured just like this one.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 9, 2015, 07:18 PM

Actually, yeah, I do, as that's what I have, and what I compared it to. I've altered the language.

Are you telling me you see this, and other than the D-pad orientation, you think "Dualshock?"

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2015, 12:00 AM

If Microsoft got one thing right, it's their XBox controller. It's unparalleled in the console gaming community.

The Sony Dual-Shock is a great controller, but the XBox controller is the one by which all others are judged.

That's just how the gaming landscape exists at the moment, like it or not.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Sep 10, 2015, 09:34 PM

I sure wish they'd just enable the Xbox and PS controllers (partly because I already have some, and partly because I'll have to use one of these to be convinced it is even close to being as good. Most controllers for this kind of stuff are just junk.)

@DiabloConQueso - You gotta be kidding me! You've actually used both an XBox and Dual-shock and think the XBox one is better? In what way? (I haven't done more than pick-up an XBox One controller yet, but everything prior to that felt like a toy in comparison.)

And, I just had to laugh about the predictions show and the new Apple TV. You guys are still thinking the old Apple, I think. BTW, Apple isn't allergic to 32GB... they just have no rhyme or reason to their storage sizes beyond what the bean-counters think will maximize profits in the short-term. Huge mistake, IMO, but that's the new Apple. The new Apple TV just confirms it. (When you can get 32GB in the base $160 Apple TV, but your new $700 iPhone is limited to 16GB... just sayin')
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules