Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal 1.0 is on iDisk

iCal 1.0 is on iDisk
austinjackson
Sep 10, 2002, 04:59 AM

For those of you still awake, iCal is on your iDisk!
Austin Jackson
EducatorsHandbook.com - because great decisions are based on great data.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 05:00 AM

Originally posted by austinjackson:

Just beat me to it

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2002, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by austinjackson:
I've only just woken up!

Damn - I suppose thins means iSync will not be released today - they'd be available together wouldn't they?

Hmm - iCal has a "register" menu item in the "iCal" menu - Why would you need to register freeware?

{edit}

just out of interest I went to register and after a few questions got this question:

What does that mean? Surely apple software does not have a serial number.

Hmm - Just noticed a bug - If you try and rename a calendar - and that rename operation is just capitalisation (i.e. no spelling change) then the rename does not stick.

[edit]

a few of the Apple published calendars are useful outside the US - Who would have thought!

http://www.APPLE.com/ical/library/holidays.html

{edit}

if you want iCal web subscriptions to work you may need to add the "webcal" Internet Protocol to your internet config settings:

( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Sep 10, 2002 at 07:26 AM. )

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 05:41 AM

Dont even use a calender What am I doing?
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 06:09 AM

ok, i downloaded it, enabled webdav on my local machine and successfully published my own calendar.

great so far.

but... you only seem to be able to subscribe to it using ical -- didn't steve jobs show some sort of html view at the mwny?
so that i could access my own calendar from everywhere via a browser?

cms
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 06:19 AM

So I imported my date book from Palm Desktop. How do I import my To Do list and my contacts list, etc? Or am I just being stupid? It seems that I am unable to make iCal files for export and iCal won't import vCard files.

Would appreciate some help if I'm missing something really basic!

Thanks.....

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 06:21 AM

Personally, this app is useless without having iSync available. It's nice to have the ability to publish a calendar to my iDisk and all...no one on the planet would want to see it...but i still cannot sync this, nor my address book with my PDA.

cms
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 06:24 AM

I agree that iCal is not a lot of use without iSync. Why didn't they wait until both were ready and then it really would have been something. Have just sent Apple a note to that effect......

MickS
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 07:12 AM

Publishing my calendar to a .Mac account or another WebDAV account is good. However there doesn't seem to be anyway to restrict access to the published calendars. Once they are published anyone can view them.

I would like my immediate family to be able to view one calendar and my colleagues to be able to view another. Without the ability to secure access to them though it doesn't seem usable to me.

cms
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 07:19 AM

Does anybody else find that iCal takes forever to launch? Sometimes it bounces for ages in my dock and won't launch at all. Other times it bounces 3-4 times and launches quite quickly.

cms
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 07:24 AM

ooops....sorry. Double post.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

I've only just woken up!

Damn - I suppose thins means iSync will not be released today - they'd be available together wouldn't they?

<snip>
iSync will be available at the end of the month as a beta

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by MickS:
Publishing my calendar to a .Mac account or another WebDAV account is good. However there doesn't seem to be anyway to restrict access to the published calendars. Once they are published anyone can view them.

I would like my immediate family to be able to view one calendar and my colleagues to be able to view another. Without the ability to secure access to them though it doesn't seem usable to me.
i have no idea about .mac since i don't use it. but if you use an ordinary webdav server, just restrict the access.

if you're using os x's apache for webdav, for example, you can restrict access to individual files to individual users or groups of users. those users are no users in the sense of "system users" but only exist inside a text file for your apache.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 07:56 AM

How is publish to web supposed to work? I tried publishing to my local webserver, but it errors every time. And yes, I turned on webdav.

jcarr
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
How is publish to web supposed to work? I tried publishing to my local webserver, but it errors every time. And yes, I turned on webdav.
I have not had any luck either. Apple's support page is not much help either. There is no example URL in the iCal Help.

I have a Mac OS X Server with WebDAV enabled, but have not been able to publish my Calendar.

My personal pages are located at http://server/~jcarr/ so I've tried http://server/~jcarr/cal.ics and webcal://server/~jcarr/cal.ics

No luck. What am I missing?
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by jcarr:

I have not had any luck either. Apple's support page is not much help either. There is no example URL in the iCal Help.

I have a Mac OS X Server with WebDAV enabled, but have not been able to publish my Calendar.

My personal pages are located at http://server/~jcarr/ so I've tried http://server/~jcarr/cal.ics and webcal://server/~jcarr/cal.ics

No luck. What am I missing?
My suspicion is that it creates its own web page

van6ogh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 08:51 AM

Ok.. stupid question. How do you go about enabling webdav? I'd like to share my calendar wife on our little home network.

Thanks
Jim

jcarr
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
My suspicion is that it creates its own web page
That's what I thought at first, but the FAQ says you can only publish the ics file on a private WebDAV server. You need a paid .Mac account to publish as a web page.

Has anyone had any luck with this? If so, what is the form of the URL to use in iCal's publish dialog?
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Janger
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by cms:
So I imported my date book from Palm Desktop. How do I import my To Do list and my contacts list, etc? Or am I just being stupid? It seems that I am unable to make iCal files for export and iCal won't import vCard files.

Would appreciate some help if I'm missing something really basic!

Thanks.....
For contacts, you have to use the address book which imports vCards from Palm (although it loses all of the custom fields and birthdays :-( ). I do not know about the ToDo List or anything, as iCal crashes EVERY time I try to start it up on a TiBook 550.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 09:02 AM

That's what I thought at first, but the FAQ says you can only publish the ics file on a private WebDAV server. You need a paid .Mac account to publish as a web page.
uh, that's why...

Has anyone had any luck with this? If so, what is the form of the URL to use in iCal's publish dialog?
what directory did you configure to be your webdav directory?

in my httpd.conf, i wrote "<Directory /Library/WebServer/Documents/webdav>" and hence the address is http://127.0.0.1/webdav -- works.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 09:04 AM

Well I've turned on webdav and no combo of URLs work to turn it on. Needless to say the iCal help is next to useless.

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 09:13 AM

iCal users 'click here': http://www.apple.com/ical/library/index.html

I don't know about you but for a v1.0 release I'm pretty impressed. I can subscribe to holidays both us and international as well as NFL NBA college movies, CDs, DVDs, Band tour dates, Primetime TV, Film Fests, Apple Store Events, etc etc etc...

This is what makes Apple different... Sure v1.0 is bound to have bugs and missing features.. it has to but from what I see so far I am very excited about what the future will bring.

Just my 2�

Dave

cms
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Janger:

For contacts, you have to use the address book which imports vCards from Palm (although it loses all of the custom fields and birthdays :-( ). I do not know about the ToDo List or anything, as iCal crashes EVERY time I try to start it up on a TiBook 550.
Thanks for the tip. Have now imported my Palm Contacts into my address book. Trouble is (see iCrap thread) I can't get the damn program to work now.....

van6ogh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2002, 09:51 AM

Ok.. stupid question. How do you go about enabling webdav? I'd like to share my calendar wife on our little home network.

Thanks
Jim

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 10:25 AM

Is anyone not very happy that you don't have the option to publish a bunch of different calendars as one?

Therefore, getting the benefits of color coding and such.....

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2002, 10:36 AM

Well, I'm particularly impressed with the following features:

* Unable to change date format in ToDo items to anything other than the US format. Sorry, but what the hell is the 'International' System Preference for ? Very very sloppy here Apple - whoever is responsible for that one should be shown the door.

* I seem to be unable to edit a to do item. Do I have to select the category it's in first or something ? Why can't I just click on it ?

* It's not exactly a speed demon is it....

* Hmmm. A toolbar would be handy. Oh - we can't have that because we have to have the iMetal apprearance....

* No support for firewalls and/or proxies. Just like iBackup (and iChat barely manages to do it). This is a worrying trend. How hard can it be ?

Don't want to sound like I'm setting a bad example by griping like this, but I really think Apple could do better than this. Can't they hire some of the best shareware authors or something ?

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:

* Hmmm. A toolbar would be handy. Oh - we can't have that because we have to have the iMetal apprearance....
Not true from what I've seen. Look at Backup 1.2...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 03:26 PM

Unable to change date format in ToDo items to anything other than the US format. Sorry, but what the hell is the 'International' System Preference for? Very very sloppy here Apple - whoever is responsible for that one should be shown the door.
This never worked completely right in Cocoa apps (see the menubar clock date issue in 10.0/10.1). In Jaguar even Mail and System Update don't show the right date/time format any more even though they used to in previous versions. iChat can't either.

It's really hard to explain that with sloppyness. I hardly dare to say it, but maybe Apple's programmers just don't know that different formats exist in other countries?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2002, 03:51 PM

I think apple could have a kick a$$ 2003! If they would raise the bar with their hardware (Faster, much faster) and release 1.5 or 2.0 versions of a few of their iApps (iChat, iCal and iPhoto) along with the upgraded iTunes with Rendezvous and iMovie with a layers capability, we would be golden! They are closer then ever software wise, but the hardware is the final hurdle.

Then again, Apple never does a bunch of things at once... the stream them to us one at a time...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 03:57 PM

By the way, how do I turn on the scrollbar in day and week view?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think apple could have a kick a$$ 2003! If they would raise the bar with their hardware (Faster, much faster) and release 1.5 or 2.0 versions of a few of their iApps (iChat, iCal and iPhoto) along with the upgraded iTunes with Rendezvous and iMovie with a layers capability, we would be golden! They are closer then ever software wise, but the hardware is the final hurdle.

Then again, Apple never does a bunch of things at once... the stream them to us one at a time...
I've been thinking the same things. I'm hoping MWSF03 will be HUGE. Updates across the iApps board, brand new Powermacs, iBooks and Powerbooks, updated iMacs etc. Apple seems to be in a position to make a big splash sometime in 03. I'm really hoping they have a surprise for us on the hardware front. The processor situation is starting to get my attention (never has before). There've been LOTS of brand new stuff released by Apple in the past year or so. It's a lot of work to release this much new stuff in that sort of time frame. I give apple much credit for that, and it helps ease the discomfort of working through these 1.0 apps. Maybe next year, they'll concetrate most of their efforts on updates and improvements.

MickS
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 03:02 AM

* Unable to change date format in ToDo items to anything other than the US format. Sorry, but what the hell is the 'International' System Preference for ? Very very sloppy here Apple - whoever is responsible for that one should be shown the door.

This is at least consistent. US (MM/DD/YY) date format appears in Mail and the AddressBook (for Birthdays) as well. International support is patchy at best.

One other thing it has problems with is timezone changes. Try this -

* create an event in one timezone
* change timezone on your machine
* try to change the time of the event

Not bad for a first effort, but must try harder.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 03:33 AM

I'm sure that my Mail shows the correct date format. Must check that one... Regardless, the date thing needs fixing - yesterday - otherwise I'll be turning up for a meeting on the 9th of November that I should have gone to on the 11th of September...

Don't get me wrong - I'm only bitching about iCal because I know it's so far below Apple's own par. Lets have a look at the iApp lineup:
  • iMovie: Best of class - and best by a big margin too !
  • iTunes: Best of class, or very close to it. Innovative and feature laden.
  • iPhoto: innovative, but slow and buggy. Doesn't so much 'manage' your photos, as hijack them into it's own inscruitable folder hierarchy. Badly needs a version 2 upgrade - and some of the features of iView Multimedia
  • iBackup: Puh-leaze ! What ? I need an internet connection to back up to CD ? Some interesting ideas, but basically it's poorly executed. Needs a version 2 and 3 !
  • iCal: good start - but I want this to be the iTunes of calendar applications.

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 08:25 AM

Don't get me wrong - I'm only bitching about iCal because I know it's so far below Apple's own par. Lets have a look at the iApp lineup:
  • iMovie: Best of class - and best by a big margin too !
  • iTunes: Best of class, or very close to it. Innovative and feature laden.
  • iPhoto: innovative, but slow and buggy. Doesn't so much 'manage' your photos, as hijack them into it's own inscruitable folder hierarchy. Badly needs a version 2 upgrade - and some of the features of iView Multimedia
  • iBackup: Puh-leaze ! What ? I need an internet connection to back up to CD ? Some interesting ideas, but basically it's poorly executed. Needs a version 2 and 3 !
  • iCal: good start - but I want this to be the iTunes of calendar applications.
Pretty spot on, I'd say!

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 04:50 PM

Don't get me wrong - I'm only bitching about iCal because I know it's so far below Apple's own par.
Please remember that both iMovie and iTunes is a lot better now than they were in v1.0.

I can't wait for iCal 2.0 and iPhoto 2.0.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 06:58 PM

iBackup
Just one small nitpick - it's not "iBackup," it's just "Backup."
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Forum Links
Forum Rules