Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail deletes important mailbox!

Mail deletes important mailbox!
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 08:12 AM

Hi, I am the developer of Meteorologist, and I was using Mail.app to keep the hundred or so emails I got about the program in a separate email box to keep things organized. After falling crazy sick last night, I decided I'd wait till today to email some people back. But guess what? My Meteorologist mail box was gone this morning. There goes 100 correspondences, suggesstions, user inputs, etc. To say the least, I'm very unhappy

So my question is - has anyone witnessed this before, and does Apple provide any backups of their contents of the mail servers?

Thanks,
Matt Fahrenbacher

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
So my question is - has anyone witnessed this before, and does Apple provide any backups of their contents of the mail servers?
Was this a .Mac account I assume? I know this won't help you now, but I always keep a copy of all my mail on my local machine, for just such an occasion. Not that it's excuse for Apple losing your mail, but just a safeguard...

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2002, 09:28 AM

I thought that seeing as .Mac uses POP that messages were automatically stored locally and you simply had the option of deleting them from the mail server after reading them. Are you sure the mails aren't stored somewhere on your machine? Mail's mailbox drawer is so mystifying that maybe it's worth checking out.

Apple won't be able to restore the mails if they are lost on their server, or at least they just won't, it's all in the EULA I think, anything lost is not their problem. I don't blame you for being angry and I would advise always saving stuff locally too.

Meteorologist is a nice app by the way didn't work for London though when I tried it, haven't tried since though, knocks Weather Pop into a cocked hat anyway!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by CarpetFluff:
I thought that seeing as .Mac uses POP that messages were automatically stored locally and you simply had the option of deleting them from the mail server after reading them. Are you sure the mails aren't stored somewhere on your machine? Mail's mailbox drawer is so mystifying that maybe it's worth checking out.
Uhhhh...I was under the impression that .Mac mail was IMAP...

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2002, 01:04 PM

also POP...

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
also POP...
What do you mean also POP? How would I choose one over the other in Mail's prefs?

I see some IMAP options on the Advanced tab, but does entering info in there override POP settings?

BTW, I also see now that on the Advanced tab there is a setting to keep all your mail messages locally, and that was selected by default for me. So, to Matt, I would think your messages should be floating around somewhere in your ~/Library/Mail folder...

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 05:26 PM

*Hack* *cough* *weeze*

Yeah, I already checked their - no dice. I just realized I'm also missing my Alarm Clock S.E. folder, which as well pissed me off. The only thing special about those two folders is that I created them through Mail.app instead of webmail.

Sigh....

Matt Fahrenbacher

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by snerdini:

What do you mean also POP? How would I choose one over the other in Mail's prefs?
Instead of defining it as a ".mac" address, define it as a pop address. For your POP mail server, enter mail.mac.com. For the smtp server, use smtp.mac.com. That's how I have always used my iTools accounts (which are all sadly going away soon).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 10:51 AM

matt, is the mbox file still there?

~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes

oh, and mac.com indeed is imap *and* pop3. the two protocols use different ports and hence, it's no problem to use both on one server.

whenever you have the chance to use imap, use imap, though. it has a lot of (useful) features pop3 doesn't.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 12:29 PM

what is the difference between POP and IMAP exactly ? I prefer POP because it seems a lot faster. POP seems to store all mails localy and IMAP seems to store all messages on a central server, is this the only difference ?

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 12:45 PM

Look at the .Mac support page...

9/12/02 8:20am pst If you are having problems logging in to mail please try again in a few minutes. We're aware of the intermittent issue and are working on a resolution. A small number of users may not see all their mail folders. They are still there and will be restored within 24 hours. No mail will be lost. Regards, Apple Support
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
what is the difference between POP and IMAP exactly ? I prefer POP because it seems a lot faster. POP seems to store all mails localy and IMAP seems to store all messages on a central server, is this the only difference ?
uh, there are lots of differences. imap is by far newer and hence has a lot more features.

imap supports folders on server side, it supports marking messages as read/unread on the server, supports searching messages on the server, ...

because it can remember states for messages, most (not all) imap servers allow more than one login at a time; you simply connect to the server and don't log out again. you can do this at home, go to work and login to the same server.

pop3 identifies messages *exclusively* by number, starting with 1 for the oldest message on the server. say you have 5 messages on your account and delete number 3. 1 and two stay the same, 4 becomes 3, 5 becomes 4.
that's why most pop3 servers only allow one login at a time.

the only advantage pop3 has is that it is so extremely simple that i sometimes check my e-mails completely without a client, i just telnet into the pop3 server of my isp and issue the necessary commands by hand...

i most probably forgot half of imap's features. but believe me, if you have the choice, use imap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules