Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > when 10.2.1?

when 10.2.1? (Page 2)
seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by JLL:

That seems to be a MapQuest problem.
not if you encode umlauts correctly. if you enter an address at their site, it works beautifully.

same problem with sherlock. low-bit-ascii characters only.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

Hopefully his account will be revoked soon anyway.
Hypocrite. Aren't you violating your NDA as well? Or, are you an Apple employee? You still haven't told anywhere where you get this info from.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by starman:

Hypocrite. Aren't you violating your NDA as well? Or, are you an Apple employee? You still haven't told anywhere where you get this info from.

Mike
But he's always been dead on with every post. Including telling idiots to shutup.

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Groovy:
and this is exactly why we should be talking about 10.2.1. so we can know
what bugs are and are not being fixed so we can give feedback and lots of it
since that is what it takes before Apple listens to is customers.
Groovy, I sympathize with your concerns. Some of these problems, like ISO 9660 burning problems, weren't discovered until late in the game. Some people may never use it; to others, it seems like an offense that can't be forgiven. Either way, it wasn't seen as worth pushing back release for. Finder FTP is something that works fine for certain groups of people; it has enough functionality to be included. For people who want to use it to read and write to authenticated FTP servers and do everything perfectly, it's not ready yet. If you use it to occasionally access files on anonymous sites, it's a great tool. Again, either way, it wasn't worth pushing back release for. There are bigger fish to fry with the 10.2.x updates...issues that affect a LOT more users than the ones people bring up in the forums.

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
You're one to talk. Get over yourself. You state the obvious mostly; and in violate of NDA.
Sometimes the "obvious" is what needs to be stated THE MOST here. It's one thing for someone to say "I think build XYZ might have been seeded"; it's quite another for someone who openly admits to being an ADC member to egregiously, knowingly violate his NDA, and then basically say, tauntingly, that there's nothing anyone can do about it. I wonder if starman's interpersonal relationships have the same level of - or should I say lack of - trust and respect as the one he apparently has with Apple.

As an aside, I find it funny when people say "I'm a developer" or "my friend who's an Apple developer said...". ADC members know NOTHING, and it's laugable when they make it look like they've got some kind of inside info. ADC members occasionally get seeds with limited (or no) release notes, and that's it. No "l33t" inside information.

BTW, you're checksums were incorrect on 10.2 because you had an incorrect build.
Actually, sorry, you're wrong. In this thread I said the CRC32 checksum was $5EB8B050:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=117915

That's the same checksum as a 10.2 *retail* (NOT upgrade) CD. Thanks for playing, though.

So that makes 4K78 being 10.0 (and bit-for-bit identical), 5G64 being 10.1 (and bit-for-bit identical), and 6C115 being 10.2 (and bit-for-bit identical). I'm sure people will still insist that there's a SuPar-s3kr3t build somewhere when the next major release of Mac OS X goes GM...

To the person who asked about localizations: yes, there is a problem. They're hard to do, and a lot of work. And date/time/number formats are a whole other ball of wax all to themselves. There will be work to improve these things over time.

You still haven't told anywhere where you get this info from.
Does that make it any less correct?
( Last edited by piracy; Sep 12, 2002 at 02:52 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2002, 02:52 PM

piracy = my hero!

You rock man, seriously....I am always glad to read your posts so I can get the latest and greatest of where 10.2 is taking us, thanks!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Sep 12, 2002, 02:58 PM

So far piracy has been spot on for almost anything related to MacOS X. Anyone who dares mock him or question his credibility shall burn in Hell.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 03:11 PM

Piracy, I admire your fortitude and stamina. You've shown a newfound restraint, too, when you could just be shouting "idiot!"

Member of the week. Seriously.

Okay, everybody, back to work.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 03:21 PM

piracy, they are planning to fix ftp for 10.2.1 though right? I've noticed so far in the builds it has been completely overlooked. They are at least planning to have it fixed for the release of 10.2.1?

Moose
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
piracy, they are planning to fix ftp for 10.2.1 though right? I've noticed so far in the builds it has been completely overlooked. They are at least planning to have it fixed for the release of 10.2.1?
As piracy said in an earlier post, Apple has bigger things to worry about for 10.2.1 than making sure that ftpfs permissions work properly.

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 12, 2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Moose:

As piracy said in an earlier post, Apple has bigger things to worry about for 10.2.1 than making sure that ftpfs permissions work properly.
You used an FTP client just fine until now, you'll survive with one for a little longer. We have people out there with kernel panics, unsupported hardware, and Quartz Extreme still needs some enhancements and things ironed out.

FTP in the Finder (and the various assorted bugs I've come across) will be fixed in time. Remember how much better 10.1.5 was over 10.1? Give Apple a couple months to code and QA.

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by SJ:
Hi guys,

I just wanted you guys in on a little secret...

Every time threads like this pop up, where specific build numbers are mentioned, Apple gets pissed.

You know what happenes then...

All of the guys that are working hard to make sure the next release will be bug free (this included Apple engineers and outside testers) get a new arse ripped for them by the seeding managers. So the next time a release is ready to roll, it gets tested less because Apple thinks that as soon as they seed something, it ends up on these boards.
If this is true, it's pretty stupid and shortsighted. Apple is a business. They sell a product. If the quality of the product suffers because of inadequate testing, then the business will suffer too. I understand that Apple dislikes seeing information about prerelease software get leaked, but dealing with the problem by being stingy with seeding is a bit like lopping off your head to cure a headache.

brink
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

Again, either way, it wasn't worth pushing back release for. There are bigger fish to fry with the 10.2.x updates...issues that affect a LOT more users than the ones people bring up in the forums.
That's fair enough. I'm just surprised that it's not a higher priority because of how spectacular the results can be when it fails -- it locked up my Finder so completely that I had to restart.

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

You used an FTP client just fine until now, you'll survive with one for a little longer. We have people out there with kernel panics...
I've had FTP in the finder *cause* kernel panics. That's pretty serious, at the very least they should disable the feature if it's going to crash the whole machine (and including an FTP app with the OS would be nice).

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 06:10 PM

Funny to see that the some folks still dont heed the words of piracy. Come on folks If you didnt read all his prior post on OSX then maybe you should, piracy knows his stuff.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 06:43 PM

Hey morons. I read his post fine. He stated that there are more important things in the UPDATE than FTP. I totally agree! But I'm asking if 10.2.1 is scheduled to fix the FTP problems or not. I'm not debating if it is important or not. I'm simply asking if he has any inside info on the subject.

Learn to read before you jump on this run people into the ground bandwagon.

Also FTP has twice caused kernel panics on my machine, when clicking a link in IE it decided to use the finder FTP. Both times it crashed my machine. Second it doesn't matter if it's small or big, you either remove a feature. you don't offer a half-broken feature. Maybe in the case of shipping jaguar it was okay. Same thing with system sounds. Steve showed them on stage. But when the build shipped it actually digressed and removed alot of them. Not important but unnerving. Same with iCal. It just makes me feel like apple is rushing out the door with stuff and not paying close attention like they normally do. iTunes was a well done application. So was iMovie, Final Cut, but the latest iApps feel windowish, simply because they are rushed out. And in iCal what kind of company would ship a calendar that uses light pastel colors then white text? It's gotta be super hard to read for somebody. It's just like somebody is slipping or something. It's the thought more than the actually problem that worries me.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2002, 08:56 PM

Sorry brainchild2b I wasnt talking about you , But as to question about ftp I too eagerly await ftp on the desktop(at the least more reliable).
And as for a update Im hoping it and future updates push the OS further in the right direction.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2002, 11:53 PM

iTunes was a well done application. So was iMovie, Final Cut, but the latest iApps feel windowish, simply because they are rushed out.
The first iApps were acquired by third parties, while the new iApps are all newly developed by Apple. They prove that Cocoa greatly reduces the development time, but it doesn't substitute the experience of developers dedicated to the application of the program and years of refinement in interaction with users.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Joshua Johnston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2002, 01:48 AM

People are asking where piracy gets his information and software from.

Just think about it, perhaps it'll come to you.

(No, I have no idea if he does pirate it, but you've gotta admit ...)

j/k.
Apple iBook 500 "sideslip" - X.1.3
Homebuilt Athlon 1Ghz "cygnus" - Windows 2000
DEC Starion 930 "gunslinger" - Linux
Apple Quadra 610 "digriz" - 7.5.2
Sony VAIO 1.6Ghz P4 "Thunderstruck" - XP
Sun SparcStation Classic "shadowpoint"
Sun SparcStation LX "waypoint"

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2002, 02:02 AM

either piracy is an apple employee, well informed individual, or a damn good bullshitter. Hell he might be all three :-)

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2002, 02:23 AM

either piracy is an apple employee, well informed individual, or a damn good bullshitter. Hell he might be all three :-)
i'm pretty sure he's a seedtester

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 03:56 AM

Apple needs to stop pretending they're the NSA, and that everything they do is top-secret... people knowing about bugs and fixes before builds are released is a *good* thing.

I sent lots of feedback to Apple in the PB days... nothing got fixed, so I don't bother anymore.

I seriously doubt it gets checked

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 13, 2002, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Apple needs to stop pretending they're the NSA, and that everything they do is top-secret... people knowing about bugs and fixes before builds are released is a *good* thing.

I sent lots of feedback to Apple in the PB days... nothing got fixed, so I don't bother anymore.

I seriously doubt it gets checked
Maybe it was the condesending way you put those feebacks.

Cipher13
Sep 13, 2002, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Maybe it was the condesending way you put those feebacks.

Hmmm. Maybe I should work on my people skills, what with my condescending tone holding back on OSX's evolution

Nah, I was pretty civil for the most part. Diplomacy comes in handy.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
The first iApps were acquired by third parties, while the new iApps are all newly developed by Apple. They prove that Cocoa greatly reduces the development time, but it doesn't substitute the experience of developers dedicated to the application of the program and years of refinement in interaction with users.
I second that!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2002, 11:56 AM

I second that!
Talking to yourself?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2002, 12:29 PM

Talking to yourself?
Yes. I liked what I said, so I wanted to agree with me.

ryju
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
WHY would Apple care if people on these boards talk about bug fixes and new releases. It just doesn't make sense. WHY would they care?
He kinda like JUST explained it.

SJ
Sep 14, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by solidage:

i'm pretty sure he's a seedtester
Naw.. he knows too much to be a seed tester. I would put my money on some form of manager (engineering or seeding) who has been specifically authorised to post to these boards. Anyone else would not be permitted to do so.

SJ
Sep 14, 2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by ryju:

He kinda like JUST explained it.
Thats what I thought...

SJ
Sep 14, 2002, 10:29 AM

I think Apple is starting to use some Microsoft tactics in software development.

Get 1.0 out the door and market the hell out if it, bugs and all. Then work as hard as you can do get a decent version out before anyone notices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules