Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera Quicktime surprise

Chimera Quicktime surprise
Elly
Sep 17, 2002, 01:56 PM

I'm checking out Chimera (I use IE), and I think hmm, let's see how the Quicktime plugin works.

Plays a movie trailer from Apple's site, and I think hmm, I wonder if the common browser keyboard shortcut for "back", Command + left arrow works?

Surprise! It plays the movie backwards!

NDBounce
Senior User
Sep 17, 2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Elly:
I'm checking out Chimera (I use IE), and I think hmm, let's see how the Quicktime plugin works.

Plays a movie trailer from Apple's site, and I think hmm, I wonder if the common browser keyboard shortcut for "back", Command + left arrow works?

Surprise! It plays the movie backwards!
Hmmm. I wonder what types of hidden messages I can vind in all my movie trailers...

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 04:03 PM

Yeah, Chimera (aka Navigator) blazes in general... the fastest browser I've ever used on a dial-up modem (56k)... It's one of the best looking browsers, to boot.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by himself:
Yeah, Chimera (aka Navigator) blazes in general... the fastest browser I've ever used on a dial-up modem (56k)... It's one of the best looking browsers, to boot.
I'll second that (but it's a slow second, as I'm on dialup, too ). Just wish it had moz's ad- and image-blocking features.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Elly:

The answer is no. While fast, Chimera doesn't do lots of stuff, and has a really rough interface (not bad for .5, but not good overall).
~BS

Elly  (op)
Sep 17, 2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
The answer is no.
I didn't ask a question. You might have missed the last line, and the whole point of my post:

"Surprise! It plays the movie backwards!"

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 08:22 PM

Besides, it's deliberate that command-leftarrow doesn't work; it used to until version 0.4, but has been changed to command-[ now because command-leftarrow is meant to be used for other things, ie, jumping to the beginning of a line in a text box or playing quicktime movies backward, which no other browser can do because they take over the shortcut!
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Besides, it's deliberate that command-leftarrow doesn't work; it used to until version 0.4, but has been changed to command-[ now because command-leftarrow is meant to be used for other things, ie, jumping to the beginning of a line in a text box or playing quicktime movies backward, which no other browser can do because they take over the shortcut!
The thing is that Cmd-[ and Cmd-] doesn't work on many non-US keyboards. Why? I don't know.

Btw. playing the movie backwards is a QT thing - not Navigator.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Elly  (op)
Sep 18, 2002, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by JLL:

Btw. playing the movie backwards is a QT thing - not Navigator.
I realize that, but in IE, after playing a movie, the key shortcut is taken over by the browser, and can't make the movie play backwards. In Chimera, as mentioned in an above post, since there is no such conflicting key shortcut taken over by the browser, it triggers Quicktime.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by JLL:
The thing is that Cmd-[ and Cmd-] doesn't work on many non-US keyboards. Why? I don't know.
going back to cmd-[ and cmd-] was extremely stupid, anyway. all other browsers use the arrow keys for back and forward.

i always edit navigator's nibs to make it use the arrow keys...

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 12:14 PM

Seems Chimera fixed it's button drawing problem in today's build

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Seems Chimera fixed it's button drawing problem in today's build
Thanks for the heads up... off to download now.

I've been pondering the COMMAND+LeftArrow thing for a while. I'm all for consistancy and this key combo is already taken for text editing. However, COMMAND-Bracket is quite inconvenient for what is my most commonly used key-combo in web-browsers.

Here's my suggestion. Keep COMMAND+Arrows for text editing _AND_ use it for webbrowser forward or back. If text insertion is currently active, focus is on an editable attribute, then use the key-combo for cursor navigation, otherwise, use the key-combo for page navigation.

Any catches?

Forum Links
Forum Rules