Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Jaguar Wait Cursor

New Jaguar Wait Cursor
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 08:27 PM

I wanted some feedback on an iSync themed wait cursor I made... let me know what you think.

Mac Guru

ARENA
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 08:37 PM

I think it looks fine. Release it as a 'diff' so we can see it working "on real life".

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2002, 08:39 PM

looks cool! and right in time for blobber 2...?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 09:03 PM

I have the diff on my HD if anyone wants to manually install it. I will email it to be included in Blobber in a little bit.

Thanks for the support.

Mac Guru

JayJay1974
Sep 28, 2002, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
I wanted some feedback on an iSync themed wait cursor I made... let me know what you think.

Mac Guru
You wanted people to let you know what they think, well I think it looks bad personally. You'll have to do a bit more work to make it look "real". Firstly, only the arrows should spin, not the metallic sheen. It's like when you see a CD spinning on a TV advert, the colours spin when they shouldn't. I did something similar in Photoshop to create my own metal "XServe" buttons with correct highlights and shadows. It takes a while, but the results are worth it. What you have to do is get the arrows separated from the background and make them spin independently of the background. Also remember, that the arrows have depth i.e. they're "engraved" into the button. So when they spin, the highlights and shadows will spin with the arrows, which they shouldn't. So, you have to get a "raw" set of arrows and spin them. On each frame you'll want to use a layer effect to get the shadows and highlights right. I'll have a go at it myself tonight to get a cleaner, "more real" version.
Please don't take this the wrong way, Think of this as constructive criticism.

JJ

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 10:14 PM

Go right ahead, I just used the iSync logo.

I'm working on a different version using the spinning download link from Apple.com.

I'll post it in about 15 minutes.

Mac Guru

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 10:37 PM

here, is this better?

Mac Guru

JayJay1974
Sep 28, 2002, 10:57 PM

here, is this better?

Mac Guru
Yeah, that's it. That's heaps better.
I was also going to suggest getting the resources straight out of iSync. I DL it and opened it up and the resources are right there in the /data.wrapdir/MainButtonBack/ directory. Just take every third gif. You'll have to resize them of course...

JJ

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2002, 11:18 PM

Looks cool. I see someone already mentioned only the arrows moving. That would have been my suggestion. Cool beans.

Since we're on the topic of themes, can you anyone direct me to some good info on making themes for OS X? What tools to use, and such, exactly how to go about it. You guys probably know my icon work, but I'd like to work on some themes (I did in 9 a little, but it's time for X).

dru
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 11:35 PM

here, is this better?

Mac Guru
Like it!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Since we're on the topic of themes, can you anyone direct me to some good info on making themes for OS X? What tools to use, and such, exactly how to go about it. You guys probably know my icon work, but I'd like to work on some themes (I did in 9 a little, but it's time for X).
All you need to make themes is either Sprocket5 or ThemePark (both free) and Photoshop Elements (cheap), plus a lot of patience and creativity and a hard shell for deflecting criticism when you are done! The programs are mainly for editing the Extras.rsrc file which contains most of the theme elements. You can see where the rest are and where they go by disecting a very complete theme like Aluminex.

Warning, you must always have a working Extras.rsrc file in the right place for programs to start up (a good test of the file). If they won't start up don't log out or you won't be able to log back in. Also the correct place for theme discussion at MacNN is on the OSX Software forum. People will call you gay if you post about themes here. :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

All you need to make themes is either Sprocket5 or ThemePark (both free) and Photoshop Elements (cheap), plus a lot of patience and creativity and a hard shell for deflecting criticism when you are done! The programs are mainly for editing the Extras.rsrc file which contains most of the theme elements. You can see where the rest are and where they go by disecting a very complete theme like Aluminex.

Warning, you must always have a working Extras.rsrc file in the right place for programs to start up (a good test of the file). If they won't start up don't log out or you won't be able to log back in. Also the correct place for theme discussion at MacNN is on the OSX Software forum. People will call you gay if you post about themes here. :-]
Thanks a lot for the info, dude. I'll get started right away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules