Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > firewire drives

firewire drives
tuttle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 02:11 PM

Yes, I am interested in what people may think of the available external firewire drives, as I had recently bought a GVP 120 GB firewire drive, and yes, I had promptly returned it after many unfortunate occurrences; yes, the drive was no good, no good indeed. As I have obtained a partial refund, as ClubMac are brigands, I will now be purchasing a new drive, and was wondering, as there are no reliable reviews�if any�what were the drives that were thought to be of a high quality in reliability? I ponder the Lacie 120 GB drive, but perhaps it is only because of expense, but that in itself is quite specious reasoning, so I ask, what is the truth of such a matter? I thank anyone willing to spend the time and effort into this query. Many thanks friends, many thanks.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2002, 02:22 PM

What problems did you have with the FW drive you had?

Maybe it's time you build your own?

-Todd...
( Last edited by Todd Corzett; Oct 5, 2002 at 02:33 PM. )

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 02:32 PM

I am not ready to build my own device. Let us assume I am a fool, and am willng to purchase the drives offered out there, between LaCie, Ezquest, and other such drives�120 GB of course�which ones have you heard about? My former drives had the odious problem of not mounting properly, if at all, or perhaps causing a computerized seizure. When running Norton, it all finally compounded into a terrible problem that caused information to become lost and unavailable, no matter what means were used in any recovery efforts. Most information was managed to be recovered, but still. And so, I curse GVP and will offer nothing but insults towards their product. Oh my, the trouble it has caused! Thanks you.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2002, 02:35 PM

The fact that you can't get the drives to mount makes me think that it's a software thing rather than a hardware thing... what computer/OS are you running?

-Todd...

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 02:41 PM

Yes, GVP recommends 9.1, as I ran 9.0.4. After these horrid problems, I re-initialized, as I was forced, and updated to 9.1. When problems persisted, I called up the tech fellow and told him the catolog list of errors. He asked me what firmware I had and before I could answer, another clapse took place�stalling�and he immediatley told me to send it back. I was rather shocked, as I expected to be stuck with the filthy devive. But when refunded, I was only given the retail cost of the drive now, rather than what it was when I had purchsed it�a meager twenty dollars�but the principle of that matter is what is at stake! Oh, so I having nothing good to say about ClubMac either!

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2002, 05:47 PM

I have never had any problems with Club Mac, but I have not had anything break either. You might be able to contact them and explain what happened. They might give you something? Can't hurt to ask...

As for a new drive... LaCie has always been very high quality (IMPO), but they are expensive too. I've seen EzQuest drives (not used one), but that was what I was going to buy before I built my own.

If you continue to have problems on your computer try the drive out on someone elses (Mac or PC). See if the drive is recognizable (in system profiler). If the computer can see a drive attached then it's probably the software, not the hardware that's causing the problems.

Sounds like a frustrating problem.

-Todd...

coolmac
Oct 5, 2002, 06:18 PM

I hear in addition to the LaCie D2 120gig firewire HD the Western Digital Caviar 120gig Firewire HD is well regarded.

gioele
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2002, 07:07 PM

BTW is possible to use self-powered devices with iBooks?

niji
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2002, 07:57 PM

i bought the la cie 40 gig drive. it is in their "PocketDrive"series.
this has firewire AND usb cord inputs.
i was looking for a drive that had both, since i wanted a drive that i could use on any computer out there. most windows machines still dont have firewire, but they do have usb.
also: this drive is driverless in the sense that windows 2000 and windows me have the driver already on their systems for this drive. so, you can just plug it on those systems, assign a drive letter to it, and use it.
if you want to use it on both windows and mac platforms, then it should be formatted using fat32, not mac extended.
as for power, ofcourse, it is firewire, so even on an iBook if the firewire port is used there is no external power required.
for running on usb however, ofcourse you need to lug the small power adapter with you, though.
if by any chance you are using a sony computer with iLink, which is a 4pin firewire connection, you will also need to use the power adapter as well.
by the way, this drive is ultra compact, and very light.
very nice design, with a post-industrial modern grey hunk of soft elastomer surrounding all 4 sides for padded protection. very euro.
i liked this drive so much, that i wrote to la cie, and asked them when/if they were considering coming out with a "combo" drive (cd-rw/dvd read) in this pocketdrive series. they came back with a friendly reply that they will be coming out with one (maybe) early in 2003. i have decided to wait for their model before buying anything else.
hth.
thnx

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 10:19 PM

Saludos friends, Saludos

Yes, I've contacted ClubMac about what could be done as to restitution to their ways, but in the end, it seems a lost cause as just about any other transaction where one is short changed. But anyways, I thank everyone for their input and information into this untimely matter, and it seems that LaCie is saying 'Hello' to my bot. Perhaps I may build a drive in the end, perhaps...

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2002, 10:25 PM

By the way, has anyone else had problems with the GVP external firewire hardrive?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2002, 02:25 AM

Methinks you should ponder, indeed ponder true, the concept of speaking/typing in plain language. I suspect the remainder of the chaps here would jolly-well have a go at answering the query that vexes you so if you were, perchance, to heed my humble advice.

For example, I might suggest that you grab a FW enclosure and a WD Caviar drive and spend 5 minutes putting it together and plugging it in and BAM! you're done. For example.
Backup your Backup

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2002, 03:17 AM

Yes, yes friend. Indeed it is, indeed it is. All advice is welcome, as I may perhaps venture towards such an enterprise. Many thanks.

Fredo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 01:39 PM

I have two EZQwest firewire harddrives, 30GB and 80GB, and have enjoyed using them for almost two years without problems. The tech support is exceptionally good, they provided updated firewire extensions as they became available, and recently sent me a replacement fan, hardware, and install instructions free. Warranty is two years, I think. http://www.ezq.com/
Firewire devices are not hot swappable like USB. To insure trouble free service, you need to attach and detach these devices in the right way.
Boot Mac. Turn on firewire device and wait ten seconds. Plug device into Mac firewire port. Device icon will appear on desktop ready for use.
Drag device icon to trash. Unplug device from Mac firewire port. Turn off device.
If you unplug the firewire harddrive from your Mac firewire port every time you are finished using it, it should provide trouble free service.
Who are the Brain Police?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by israces:
Methinks you should ponder, indeed ponder true, the concept of speaking/typing in plain language. I suspect the remainder of the chaps here would jolly-well have a go at answering the query that vexes you so if you were, perchance, to heed my humble advice.

For example, I might suggest that you grab a FW enclosure and a WD Caviar drive and spend 5 minutes putting it together and plugging it in and BAM! you're done. For example.
Actually its Jeffery Goines that said your sig

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Fredo

I have two EZQwest firewire harddrives, 30GB and 80GB, and have enjoyed using them for almost two years without problems. The tech support is exceptionally good, they provided updated firewire extensions as they became available, and recently sent me a replacement fan, hardware, and install instructions free. Warranty is two years, I think. http://www.ezq.com/Firewire devices are not hot swappable like USB. To insure trouble free service, you need to attach and detach these devices in the right way. Boot Mac. Turn on firewire device and wait ten seconds. Plug device into Mac firewire port. Device icon will appear on desktop ready for use. Drag device icon to trash. Unplug device from Mac firewire port. Turn off device. If you unplug the firewire harddrive from your Mac firewire port every time you are finished using it, it should provide trouble free service.

Do you mean all firewire drives? I assume not, as with GVP, I used to turn the drive on first, then the computer�though the filthy instructions made no declaration of any such treatment, or any other instructions in turning it off properly�at best they were murky and ambiguous. I feel that GVP makes a poor product indeed. The only other product I can speak of is VST, as they make a fine quality product, and I would highly recommend such a worthy device. It is too bad they do not manufacture larger drives in the 120 GB range. But I thank you for any and all information on such a matter, and in the case that I might purchase an EZquest drive, such handling information would come in handy. Many thanks.

Fredo
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 08:40 PM

I have never used a GVP drive, I am speculating that improper start up and shut down procedures may be the cause of the "odious problem of not mounting properly " you spoke of earlier in your post. I don't see how the GVP device can be much different from EZQwest, and using the procedure I outline may help the GVP drive to work properly, especially if the instructions aren't up to par.
Who are the Brain Police?

coolmac
Oct 6, 2002, 09:06 PM

Hows the EZquest compared to the LaCie and Western Digital firewire HD's?

coolmac
Oct 6, 2002, 09:33 PM

I just checked out the Cobra 120gig firewire hard drive at ezquests web site.

The specs are impresive, one question, is it quiet? and how is its reliability?

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Fredo

I have never used a GVP drive, I am speculating that improper start up and shut down procedures may be the cause of the "odious problem ofnot mounting properly " you spoke of earlier in your post. I don't see how the GVP device can be much different from EZQwest, and using the procedure I outline may help the GVP drive to work properly, especially if the instructions aren't up to par.

Well, since the GVP drive never mounted properly, or regularly, I was forced to try other methods of mounting it, which were successful, but still not very encouraging�as routine for machines is best and not random preparations. Nothing seemd to really do it, and of coures, it was promptly returned. Though I feel it must have been a software related problem, for when it did not mount, sometimes I would turn it on and off and it would register on a program such as Norton DD or Dosk Warrior or Tech Tools. None of these programs could fix the despicable problem so I was forced to re-initialize. After which, I continued having problems which led to its fate, one in which, in the end, I am more than pleased with, as the alternative would have been undesirable to say the least. However, it worries me no more and perhaps some poor fellow may obtain this in an attempt at the company's recycling efforts. I do not envy this person. But I thank those who offered their advice and suggestions to this query and I shall be making another gamble on perhaps a more efficent device. Saludos friends, saludos.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 11:12 PM

i also just added an ezquest 80g firewire drive to my arsenal (and an ezquest cdrw...they look good together), and they work great.

i checked with tech support, you need to eject the fw drive before shutdown, that's important, but not necessary for sleep.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2002, 02:57 PM

Tuttle -- did you use a credit card to buy the drive? If so, contact the CC company and file a complaint and you might be able to get the balance refunded.

tuttle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2002, 04:35 PM

@FXWizard

Yes, I did use a CC, but how would lodging a complaint to the CC company do any good, wouldn't I lodge a complaint to the retailer, they being ClubMac�as this has been done, and I await their response. If what you say is true, I'd very much like to hear this as I feel I will not be refunded my money from these brigands, they being ClubMac. Many thanks for any additional information.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by gioele:
BTW is possible to use self-powered devices with iBooks?
Well, there aren't really too many self powered firewire devices on the market. I know that VST used to make a CD-RW that was battery powered but I'm not sure about the others as I've only heard about them and not seen them. But yes, the iBook will run them just fine.

If you actually wanted to ask about FIREWIRE BUS POWERED devices, then the answer is yes. The iBook has one 6-pin firewire port. The extra two pins add 12 volt power to the device if the device is wired for it.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules