Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The iMac that wouldn't turn on

The iMac that wouldn't turn on
Jan 24, 2003, 01:17 AM

So I have these two iMacs that won't turn on. I mean nothing, pressing the little apple on the top yields the same result as pressing the power button, both the button on the front and the keyboard. Nothing. Usually, I'd just chalk it up to bad luck, but since it's two iMacs, I was hoping there was some precedence for this. I'm not sure what models they are, since I can't turn them on, but they don't have firewire ports. Anybody ever have a similar experience?

Thanks

andi*pandi
Jan 24, 2003, 01:27 PM

one: ways to describe your computers without knowing model number: what color are they? slot loading/tray? do they look like mutated sunflowers?

Aside from that, does anything else plugged into those outlets work? (K-I-S-S) Sometimes the circuit breaks on those 8-outlet octopi, and needs resetting.

6116  (op)
Jan 24, 2003, 04:29 PM

Well, they're both blue, one's a slot loader, one's you know, not a slot loader. And I'm absolutely sure the electrical socket works.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2003, 02:32 AM

Have you tried pressing the reset button on the motherboard? I've resurrected a Mac in the same state as yours by simply pressing this button. On the slot loading iMac you can see this button by peeking in through the RAM door on the back of the computer. It's a black button sitting atop a small silver box. Kinda small. As for the tray loader, I'm not sure where the reset button is.

Brad

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 10:18 AM

On the tray loader, to reset CUDA
you:

put the iMac on a towel, resting on its screen.
Remove one screw in the white handle of the bottom case.
Use the handle to remove the bottom case.
Remove two screws in a white plastic handle.
Remove three to four cables (power, power and audio, monitor, and possible IrDA.)

Pull up on the handle.

you now have the mass storage chassis in your hands.

the reset switch is on the edge near the processor cage, between the cage and the ports.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules