Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 in a CRT iMac?

G4 in a CRT iMac?
PSST
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 06:58 AM

Hello all.

Happy late new year to everyone at MacNN, I've been really sick during the holdiays. I want to thank everyone who gave me advice on my keep iMac or buy an eMac decision. I've decided to stay with my trusty iMac DVSE, in light of the eMac's Raster Shift Problems. I feel bad for the eMac owners, my heart goes out to them, honestly.

But, I want to pose a serious question that needs answering:

Can you transplant a G4 chip like the ones that were used on the fanless G4 CUBE (the cool running 7410) into a fanless G3 iMac?

By removing the G3 chip on the logic board and adding the G4 chip?

Or will my iMac seriously MELT like a NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON?

In light of the BS situation with the eMac, I'm seriously considering doing this.

I've done my homework, and I know the iMac slot-loaders are NOT supposed to upgradable, but I refuse to see my iMac sharing a landfill with the LISA!

IF the G4 can't be done, what about transplanting a G3 700 mhz chip (PPC 750CXe) from the last iMac SE discontinued in January 2002?

-Realistically, would the G3 transplant work insteadin my iMac, if the G4 can't be done?

-Also, what about doing the same procedure to change the graphics card on the logic board, from a ATI RAGE 128 VR chip set and 2X AGP with 8 MB OF VRAM, to least a ATI Rage 128 Pro in AGP 2X slot with 16 MB of VRAM, or some other video card?

-Is there really a difference in heat from the PPC 750 vs PPC 750CXe processors? I also have a 7200 RBM HD drive and my temp with Gauge Pro is 63 C or 145 F. Would the PPC 750CXe processor run cooler?

I know all of this sounds CRAZIER than a snowman burning in HELL, but before EVERYONE laughs me out of the forums, there a couple of reasons for the methods to my MADNESS.

-One big reason I'm handicapped, and it seems at this stage APPLE will never bring back the power button that USED to be on the keyboard to start up your computer. Most every Apple from 1984-2000 had this. Others on these forums still want this. IT SEEMS APPLE DOESN'T CARE! IF Apple hasn't changed this by now, they never will.

-I'm a college student, (like many other students who are Apple users, I know. But I'm not a ROCKAFELLER, and I want to make my money count.

-I'm sorry, I want to apologize for this, but I really DON'T LIKE APPLE'S NEW DESIGNS. All of the older designs were well thought out, and well executed, well crafted, and it seems everything at apple is completely CHANGED!

Best example the eMac, it never should have been released.

-My reasons are to at least have the power and flexibility to be able to do anything in the future, if I want to or need to.

-Look at the owners of the 20th Anniversary Macintosh, they have G3 and G4, upgrades, why can't the iMac slot-loaders, after all, all iMac owners revision A-D have the option to upgrade, why can't I?

Something's not right. Something's afoot at the Circle K.

I really would appreciate any and all opinions, or viewpoints, I really want to make the G4 upgrade a reality.

I look at it this way, if Columbus was afraid of leaving his home to try something new, we would all still be living in Europe!

I think the G4 upgrade could be done for $400 at least, maybe less.

By the by, I came up with a great new SLOGAN for Apple.

APPLE: BYTE ME!

instead of

Apple: Think different.

Just so you know I love macs and apple, always have, always will, and I never owned anything except an Apple.

Please, I want to call on all the great minds and invaluable experience, here at the forums. I really could use everyone's help, because I don't want to royally trash my iMac.

Really, I'm sorry for the loooong post, but it's important.

All the best,
Sabastian

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2003, 08:16 AM

You could probably by an older g4 powermac tower for $400-$500. Say a 450mhz model.

Why bother with the upgrade when you could just buy that (a cheap crt monitor wouldnt cost much to compliment it).

Welcome back, by the way, glad to hear you are feeling better.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

JNG
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 09:51 AM

No, the G4 won't work. The newer G3 transplant would run cooler, yes, but this sort of transplant isn't very economical in my opinion.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what your problem is with the eMac; if you are so worried an eMac you buy will have problems (based on anecdotal evidence, apparently???), try buying it from somewhere where they test it beforehand, like PowerMax, and get an Applecare contract. I'm not sure what grounds you have to say that the eMac "never should have been released," especially as it has so much in common with the CRT iMac. If you want one, buy one; I've never had any problems with mine.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 10:14 AM

The g3 700 isn't a bad idea, but why go to so much trouble to transplant chips when you could just buy a 700mhz g3 motherboard with the processor and graphics chips already on it?

Far more economical, I bet.

A g4 processor upgrade?
In the past I would have said, couldn't be done. However, we were all proven wrong about pismo powerbook upgrades, something we also all said couldn't be done.

As for eMac, it's a nice machine, but my faith is a little shaky on Apple CRT products. Between the iMacs, tray and slot-loading alike, 17" studio CRT, and the eMac, I think I would stay away from all-in-one's with CRTs in them.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules