Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New desktop image on Apple's displays....

New desktop image on Apple's displays....
Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 01:34 AM

I know its early but I was wondering if anyone could locate this new image sprawled across Apple's displays:

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2003, 01:48 AM

Where is that? It looks like lower Manhattan, but I can't tell. That building in the middle with the pyramid on top looks like one on the Hudson river.

Miek

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 03:07 AM

That would be a dead on shot of the WTC, were the WTC still there. I worked in the building with the lit up pyramid shape on top for a while, but well before 9/11.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 05:46 AM

Gatorzx2
Nice images. I was at SpyMac earlier and saw the middle picture. However, the quality was substandard as it was grainy. Hopefully there'll be better quality coming out soon.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 09:56 AM

Simple actually

Goto http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/03displays.html, where you will be able to find high quality photos of the new Apple displays. From that you should cut/copy/paste them and use them as your desktop picture.

Hope this helps.

proton
Senior User
Jan 29, 2003, 10:14 AM

Interestingly last night when I looked I saw a different picture, similar but with Sydney harbour on it (yes, I am in Australia), but I can't get it to come up anymore on www.apple.com or www.apple.com.au.

Wonder if other countries get/got a localised picture too?

- proton

danielb0101
Jan 29, 2003, 11:17 AM

I don't know where you can get that image file without the Apple Displays in it, but that is not Lower Manhattan. That skyline is of the wonderful city of Boston. The photo is taken from Boston Harbor/The Atlantic ocean.

You can get the image from apple/pr.

Best,
�dB

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 12:08 PM

So is it Boston or NY? Funny thing is, if it's Boston, is that Apple is pulling out of the MW shows because it moved from NY to Boston. Maybe this is Apple's way to apologize to Boston? If it's Boston and not NY that is
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Gatorzx2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
Simple actually

Goto http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displays/03displays.html, where you will be able to find high quality photos of the new Apple displays. From that you should cut/copy/paste them and use them as your desktop picture.

Hope this helps.
Good idea, I'll post the results if they turn out okay.

Gatorzx2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 01:27 PM

Eh, the image from the pr site isn't that big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2003, 02:21 PM

It's not Manhattan. I checked a shot of lower Manhattan I took recently and other than the similarity of one building, it's completely different.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 02:33 PM

It is in fact Boston. A little search on google image search came up with much proof.

http://humpa.com/images/HumpaBostonNight.html

I wonder if Apple even looked into what city it was. Seems funny that they chose Boston since the whole Fall MacWorld issue centered around moving the show to Boston.

JayJay1974
Jan 29, 2003, 02:37 PM

The pictures of Sydney are on the bottom of the PowerBook page.
I was wondering if it was possible to get the various images that apple uses to advertise their various computers displays.
I thought it would be a great idea if apple supplied the pictures with their products. The pictures would make great backgrounds and if others saw these pictures and they had also seen the ads, there would be an immediate association.
I really hope they are available somewhere. They should at least be on the pr page.

Gatorzx2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by JayJay1974:
The pictures of Sydney are on the bottom of the PowerBook page.
I was wondering if it was possible to get the various images that apple uses to advertise their various computers displays.
I thought it would be a great idea if apple supplied the pictures with their products. The pictures would make great backgrounds and if others saw these pictures and they had also seen the ads, there would be an immediate association.
I really hope they are available somewhere. They should at least be on the pr page.
In the past they have been made available on some random mac desktops sites. I hope these make it out as well.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 10:15 PM

Boston? Where's the Pru or the Hancock (new or old)? I'm sorry, but this is not Boston.

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by starman:
It's not Manhattan. I checked a shot of lower Manhattan I took recently and other than the similarity of one building, it's completely different.

Mike
It just cannot be Manhattan. Wherever you take the shot of that island, you see way more skyscrapers than that.
- Ravi

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
Boston? Where's the Pru or the Hancock (new or old)? I'm sorry, but this is not Boston.
Sorry - it's identical with a known picture of the boston skyline.

Apple image:

From http://www.hotshotphotographs.com/PANORAMICS.htm

If you'd like the pix from the PR photo, here ya go:
Left (604x377)
Center (692x437)
Right (463x379)

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2003, 12:31 PM

WOW! I didn't even pay attention it but: It's Boston (feeling homesick) ... you can see the Aquarium, the Arc in the building on State St. and JH building I must have a good quality image of those 3 ....

Hmm, the PR photos are dissapointing. The ones for the iBook actually had VERY large shots of the desktop.

Boston Skyline from Harbour

< That guy who put together the page of Boston pix is not me, but kudoos to him for taking some nice shots.
( Last edited by nsxpower; Jan 30, 2003 at 12:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules