Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Design ideas appreciated

Design ideas appreciated
redandwhites
Feb 3, 2003, 10:08 PM

Hello, I need help

I have 400 photos and armed with iMovie. The ideas is to move these pics out to VHS with narration and a soundtrack.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to make this entertaining, I've got the audio down, it's just about making this, er, interesting!!

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by redandwhites:
Hello, I need help

I have 400 photos and armed with iMovie. The ideas is to move these pics out to VHS with narration and a soundtrack.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to make this entertaining, I've got the audio down, it's just about making this, er, interesting!!

At the risk of offending every web designer here I urge you to look to film editors for inspiration. Your best bet would be documentary films that use photos to tell a story -- historical work would be appropriate. While many web folk have developed a touch for creating stunning transitions / effects with stills they are no match for an experienced editor.

Some techniques use different dissolves, transitions, fades, etc. You can also use cuts in very interesting ways (see the movie Run Lola, Run as one example).

Remember this one thing: simplicity is the key. I don't mean boring, I mean bridle your use of "technique" for the sake of "technique."

Good luck.

redandwhites  (op)
Feb 3, 2003, 11:36 PM

Yes I saw Run Lola, Run, but, er, was in a rather relaxed state so don't remember much! Might have to rent the movie.

Any www.????.??? for inspiration? Searched for iMovie showcases but came up empty handed.

gadster
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 12:32 AM

Pan and zoom, transitions, use music and edit to the beat. Did I mention pan and zoom?
e-gads

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 07:58 AM

is crossfading them all too simple?

splode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 11:20 AM

Hey.

You might consider the Ken Burns techniques (apologies to any documentary producers who preceded Burns). The Civil War stuff was very well done and primarily only with stills. The "pan and zoom" mentions were a big part of his palette. It gives still images motion, making them seem less, ahem, "still".

Don't go too overboard with the transitions, You don't want it to look like a cheesy powerpoint presentation with the gimmicky wipes.

splode

Forum Links
Forum Rules