Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac vs. emac, the eternal struggle

imac vs. emac, the eternal struggle
Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Feb 15, 2003, 07:52 AM

hello all, long time since i have been on, yes yes still have a PC (sigh)...

so here is my question, i really like the 1GHz imac 17", and i am very close to buying it! but do you think it is worth
saving a bit of money by waiting for the next emac update?

Well thanks (in advance) for your posts!

- zoom zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 10:42 AM

I suspect that the eMac will stay the way it is for awhile. Apple looks like it wants to replace the G3 iMac with the eMac, and in order to do so Apple has to get the price down on the eMac to the point where it can replace the old model.

I would rather get the 17" iMac anyways. Beyond the performance improvements (a faster CPU, faster video card, etc.) you get a better Superdrive, more hard drive space, and of course a higher-resolution display. The iMac seems like it's considerably more future-proof.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Rodster
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
The iMac seems like it's considerably more future-proof.
That's true no argument there. But I find myself asking the same questions. For me Computers have become appliances. I would rather buy the least expensive model available, use it for 2-3 years. I would rather get my monies worth out of the computer.

If you take care of it, you can sell it on eBay, or trade it in on a new Mac purchase. That's why I've settled on the eMac 700mhz for $999. Now if the user requires lots of processing then the choice becomes limited.

For me I can run iTunes 3, Sherlock 3, Appleworks or Quickbooks 5 just fine on a 700mhz eMac and the machine would not even break a sweat. I do lite computing so it's a now brainer for me. Plus I prefer the look of a CRT screen over LCD. I know call me crazy.

JNG
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 04:18 AM

There are a lot of reasons that the eMac might be preferable to many people, myself included. But if you definitely want the specs of the 1GHz iMac (not that they are vastly dissimilar), I think you'll be waiting a while for the eMac to be updated to that level (if it ever does-it might just disappear from the product line at some point). So go for the 1 GHz iMac, unless you decide the specs of the 800MHz eMac are acceptable instead, or unless you like to toss screwdrivers or other sharp implements about near your Mac.

slider
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 11:19 PM

Yeah, if you can afford it go with the iMac, it's a nicer machine all and all. And while nothing is future proof, it is sure to have some additional longevity.

Zoom_zoom  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 06:21 AM

hey every onethanks for all your advise!
Yeah i Am going to go get the 17" imac. it is so nice

hey also, has any one used a company like "Flexi -rent" with there Mac's? wherebye you pay off the mac week by week?
If so, can ya just leave a post saying if it is worth it or not

thanks a lot guys!, ( soon i will be in Mac heaven)

-Zoom Zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Forum Links
Forum Rules